Reviews for Father Figure
tara chapter 1 . 3/24/2012
This is such a heartbreaking story. You did a great job of explaining the fear, guilt, and shame behind a person who abandons another who is close to them.

The first line of the story says it all. It's tragic and it's very true to Laguna's childish, emotional nature. I suppose I'm in the minority as I find his character the most interesting. He has all these qualities that contradict one other and I like characters like that. And his story was so bittersweet.

Anyway, I love how you used Squall's accusation towards his father, that if he'd loved them he would have stayed. And Laguna denies it for Squall's sake, but then when Squall brings up that Laguna wasn't even with Raine when she died, Laguna gives up.

" I felt like someone had pulled the carpet out from under me. I reserved the right to act like my world had ended."

I know that feeling so well. It's a terrible feeling that does lead to more bitterness and selfishness.

Great job, and I would love to read more from you. Especially in regards to Laguna's story, as there's never enough Laguna fanfiction in my opinion :P (and there's very few as it is anyway...)
Ashbear chapter 1 . 3/7/2004
That was breathtaking. I would be the first to admit, I am inclined to pass over Laguna centered pieces, especially dealing with past events. For the most part, none has been able to keep my attention past the first the first few paragraphs, and there are many underlying factors to that. Your story falls into none of those categories. First, the writing and grammar is far above anything I could ever hope to attain. The feelings, the memories, and the vivid words you used to describe the scene. If anything, I would’ve believed one could not pull it off given Laguna’s character, but your balance of inward thought and his spoken words was magnificent. You are right, the game leaves some holes for us to fill, at least the GF device works well on that account. Wonderful, wonderful story.
Laguna's twin sister chapter 1 . 2/17/2004
WOAH! That was a HEAVY fic. Really good! Yeah, under the circumstances, Laguna would've done that... Very good characterizations... he has very tender feelings. (Laguna: I HEARD THAT!) anyway... Keep up the good work.
P.S. Yeah, Laguna hyperventilates, hahaha... take my word for it... hahahaha
Latest Mistake chapter 1 . 1/23/2004
I loved this. You portrayed Laguna so well and the situation was pretty heart breaking. Of course you can't make this story a happy ending, it's not needed considering Squall doesn't get a happy ending. Great job all around. You write really well.
Yasuko Stari chapter 1 . 1/22/2004
That was really good. I don't think I've ever read a single fic of yours that I disliked.
DBH chapter 1 . 12/12/2003
A very nice story.
All too often in fanfiction we see Laguna as a cheerful dolt trying to get into Squalls goodbooks and ignoring the past, while Squalls friends seem to think that Squall should forget the past that scarred him and forgive Laguna.
This should be continued, I'd love to see your interpretation of Lagunas views on Squall during the game and perhaps aftertwards, will he tell Squall or fail again?
Duncan Hay
Kitian chapter 1 . 12/11/2003
I've gotta say, I'm a big fan of this piece. The portrayal of Laguna is very well-done; he remains perfectly in character but is also serious/emotional enough so that this story is dramatic and heartwrenching to read. Very realistic and wonderfully written, I have nothing more to say about this fic other than I loved it.
Kupo chapter 1 . 12/11/2003
Ok, you know what? I love this. I really, really love it. I was so into reading it that I left my breakfast burn in the toaster oven. Excellent work, I am truly impressed! Write more fics soon! *goes to scrape her burned toast*