Reviews for Only A Day Yet
Valinor Sunset chapter 9 . 4/16/2007
I really like this story. There is a lot of depth and emotion. I quite enjoyed reading this. Thank you.
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 9 . 7/10/2004
Wow, I can't believe I missed your last update for so long! I've just read the whole story through again, and re-discovered all the lines that stuck in my head the first time I read it and hadn't forgotten - too many to quote here, but this story is so beautifully written and the characterisations so well realised, that I often feel like I'm reading lines lifted straight from the book. This chapter is perfect - touching and sad but with lovely humorous moments, like Pippin getting his own way with Legolas, and this line from Bergil: “I suppose I must apologize now our first meeting. It would not be right to stand my father’s rescuer and a fellow man of Gondor on his head.
pipinheart chapter 9 . 4/5/2004
Great, please continue... I liked the dream sequence with Legolas talking to pippin, that was good.
Update soon..
Willow chapter 9 . 4/5/2004
It's great to see you back! I was trying to wait ever so patently for the next part. :) Another excellent job. You really put a human-like perspective on what it must have been like for Pippin to see Frodo and Sam again for the first time. It definately was a powerful scene and wonderfully written.
shirebound chapter 9 . 4/4/2004
Wondeful chapter. Not only is your dialogue authentic and the emotions real, but I like your reasoning for why Frodo and Sam's pavilion was so far from everyone and everything else. I hadn't thought about their "celebrity" and all those wishing to catch a glimpse of them.
Xena chapter 9 . 4/4/2004
I was excited to see this chapter up! The beginning was wonderful, I love how it was reminiscent of Frodo's awakening in Rivendell. It was fun to be there was Gandalf explained some things to Pippin. What a great surprise for Beregond and Bergil to show up! Poor Legolas, he can't resist Pippin, although I'm wondering if many can. I loved the moment when Pippin saw Frodo and Sam for the first, you wrote it so well, it was quite an iamge I got in my head. I like Legolas' council as to how Pippin should deal with his dreams, and I was glad to see it worked! Wonderful chapter, I really enjoyed it!
eiluj chapter 9 . 4/3/2004
How clever of you to post April 3 on April 3!
"If I have been asleep so very long, I have missed a good many meals." Classic Pippin!
I hope there won't be such a wait for the next bit, but however long it is, it will be worth it.
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 8 . 3/4/2004
I love the idea of Gimli waiting in line behind half of the Shire to take his axe to Merry - it's a good thing they both know Merry would never let anything happen to Pip! The flashback was very gripping, I'm glad that Pip's tendency to act first and think later saves Merry's life, and it's very sweet that he thinks of himself as foolish rather than brave. In light of his actions during the Quest it seems quite appropriate that he demonstrates plenty of both qualities from an early age! Now I really want to know what happens next - I can't wait for the hobbits to be reunited... please update soon!
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 7 . 3/4/2004
Poor Merry! He has a hard enough time looking after Pip as it is without Aragorn and his mysterious healing techniques scaring him. Pip must be so glad that Merry is at hand to say 'I told you so' at every opportunity, though I'm glad Pip gets his own back - "How is your arm?" Hehe. I love the way that what the hobbits say always belies the seriousness of the situation and they keep up their banter despite their injuries and the death all around them. The same goes for Pip's recovery - I love how often food gets mentioned and that his condition is so often expressed in terms of missed meals!
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 6 . 3/4/2004
Yay, Pip and Merry sound much more like their sweet hobbity selves in this chapter so they must be feeling better :)
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 5 . 3/4/2004
Wow. Lessons of lost innocence and regained hope - this chapter is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes! Your Gandalf is wonderful, I love his uniquely stern but gentle manner of caring for the hobbits, distracting Merry from his nightmares and Pippin from his despair. Merry and Pippin's reunion and their subsequent fight were very natural - only they could argue because they're so worried about each other, using the other's dire experiences to bolster their arguments! I love the thought of a king and a wizard being so concerned about a quarrel between two hobbits - in fact I just love everything about this story!
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 4 . 3/4/2004
Poor Merry having to choose between staying with Frodo and Sam or going to be with Pip, and poor Pip trying to get better despite himself and wishing for Merry and yet not wanting to be selfish. Merry's honesty is very touching when he tells Gandalf why he needs to be with Pip, trying to be defiant yet he's frightened at the same time. No need though - I love the idea of Meriadoc the Terrible always getting his way!
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 3 . 3/4/2004
This chapter had me smiling all the way through! Gimli and Gandalf's conversation is so in keeping with their characters - I love how Gimli tries and fails to hide his feelings from Gandalf, "It is astonishing to me that they command any fondness at all," he said at last. "They are a troublesome race to be sure." I love that he comments more than once in the book about the pains that Merry and Pip cost him during the Quest and yet also admits that he could have torn out his beard when he thought Pip was dead - the way you write him captures this aspect of his relationship with the hobbits perfectly. Pip's awakening is very poignant, how wonderful that he's still alive and yet the only reason he can believe it is because he's in so much pain. And this is the icing on the cake, "He looks upon the world as if he sees it after expecting never to do so again ... It was a shock to see Gandalf returned. It can only be more so to find yourself returned." How insightful to describe Pip's state of mind by comparing the two not-quite deaths this way!
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 1 . 3/4/2004
Fantastic start! Your description of Gimli's discovery of Pippin and his fear and grief is really moving - for a dwarf to go through so many emotions in such a short time shows how much he cares about Pip! I wish Tolkien had written more about what happened to Pip after the battle, but I'm glad to find stories like this which fit in to the gaps so well.
Hai Took chapter 8 . 1/24/2004
I liked Gimli threatening Merry to make sure he took good care of Pippin! Then Merry's reply about Gimli having to wait in line to deal him punishment for it! I liked your story about Merry and Pippin in the skiff! Looking forward to more!