Reviews for The End of an Era
love
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 12/28/2015
sad, but a great story
Shrimp chapter 1 . 4/21/2008
Well, THAT was depressing. Well written, but depressing. It doesn't feel done, really - in my opinion the story needs a continuance, or a sequel, or even a missing scene to the missing-scene-story, because the idea of Elrond simply being that cruel rings wrong. Also, it seems odd that Aragorn would take this as a declaration of lack of love. To me . . . it's sad, quite a few "bits" (paragraphs, lines, etc.) of this story are moving, but together all together it feels wrong. This blank "Well, Elrond doesn't love me any more" feels wrong both on Aragorn's side and on Elrond's side.

I don't mean to be mean, because as I said it was quite moving, and if it had a continuance or a different ending or a -something- I would have quite liked it. But this site says to give constructive criticism and comment on an aspect of the story that can be improved, so . . . this story, by itself, with no resolution and simply deciding that Elrond doesn't love Aragorn anymore so tough luck, rings wrong (wrecking many bits of the story that are quite lovely).

I'd love to see a resolving sequel to this, or another chapter, or any such thing.
Love.Heals chapter 1 . 1/28/2008
That was amazing! But really you have mastered the art of aragornangst...wow...that is so sad...wow
StarLight9 chapter 1 . 11/15/2007
This was really great! I enjoyed it a lot!
novelteas74 chapter 1 . 4/22/2005
Another heart-wrenching story. I swear you DO have this down to a science. Every character you portray is so well done. I especially liked Gimli's role in this story and Legolas' kindness and comfort to his friend. I know I sound like a broken record, but I am just so touched by your stories. Great job.
J7339 chapter 1 . 7/21/2004
There are some very thought provoking lines in this story that I like. Like this one:

Had Elrond foreseen that the day would come when he would forsake his human son? Had he known, even as he reassured Estel of his love, that there would come a time when that love would be revoked? Had he known that he would have to use the boy he had raised so cruelly?

Exactly right - did Elrond know anything of what Aragorn would have to go through, given that he has the gift of foresight like Arwen herself accuses him of in ROTK.

I just love Gimli - and I laugh out loud in the movie where he called Aragorn - laddie.

Enjoyed this very much. Thanks for sharing your stories with me and such a wonderful style too.

Onto the next story - see you there soon.

JULES
marbienl chapter 1 . 5/2/2004
Aw man, that is just so sad...
~
# If I did not know for certain that he had ever loved me, it would not have - have hurt so much to discover that it is no longer the case. I have long seen this coming." Aragorn placed a hand on the elf prince's shoulder. "Your presence makes what I must do bearable. Thank you, my friend. For everything."#
~
Aww... and again with the 'bearable'. It must have been so hard to have known the true nature of his father for all this time. I guess you found Elrond's behaviour in ROTK when he came there also a bit cold? After all - the elf *was* Estel's foster father - Estel even said so to Eowyn yet they act as strangers!
~
Again, a moving story, I really feel for poor Estel - luckily he has Legolas (and Gimli)
hugs, marbienl
With that, Elessar, King of Gondor, also known as Aragorn, Isildur's heir, once known as Thorongil, Captain of Gondor, who was once called Strider, Ranger of the North, turned and continued his journey through the Paths of the Dead, followed by Legolas Greenleaf and Gimli, son of Gloin.
None of his titles, aliases, or ranks would ever hold so much meaning as that relatively short time from childhood to early adulthood when he was Estel, son of Elrond, brother to Elladan and Elrohir, and for a short time, beloved of Arwen Undomiel. The era of Estel had come to an end, and the irony was not lost on the man.
Catmint chapter 1 . 2/21/2004
Oh, wow wow wow wow WOW. This is incredibly heartbreaking, and you have a real talent for evoking emotions from your readers and for making them feel the characters' emotions.
Wonderful.
Scoofuzz chapter 1 . 2/6/2004
This is a lovely vignette that perfectly captures the heartbreak of the moment. While neither going over the top nor underplaying the horror it takes the strength of strong men to the edge and lets them deal with it as they must - while maintaining the power to go on.
My thanks to the author for a lovely read.
SelenityCosmos chapter 1 . 1/20/2004
ohmigod... VALAR that was good! ...I'm crying! on muy god I never cry... this is so good! Hannon le, mellon-nin.
NoWorries chapter 1 . 12/21/2003
That was so *sweet*. I just viewed RotK for a third time, that scene would have fit in perfectly. Wonderful!
Nietta chapter 1 . 12/21/2003
BRILL! I loved the land of the dead in the movie, this was a nice little cherry on top for ir (LoL)
BTW when will the sequel to By Some Evil Spell be out? *pouts*
leggylover03 chapter 1 . 12/21/2003
aw so sad! sniff sniff
Christina chapter 1 . 12/19/2003
Great job on the story. I really like how you described Elrond and Aragorn's relationship! Keep writing!