Reviews for Seas of Fate
Fire Eagle chapter 1 . 12/23/2003
Beautifully done!
merryelf chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
Very nice little story. I especially like Imrahil's reflections on Legolas' elven nature. Really interesting and something I hadn't read before. The descriptions of Legolas' eyes were also very well done, I love reading about the emotions in people's eyes. You have a talent for writing. I hope there are more updates soon!
farflung chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
I like your tale a lot. Your likening the sea to our fate. We aren't necessarily in control but we must learn to ride it to succeed.
I thought having the first POV was good. He reminded us about elves being a different race. A lot of stories just make them humans with pointed ears when all their feelings are foreign to us. We can only see their actions and then place our feelings on those actions.
Thanx for sharing with us.
Alexis-Greenleaf chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
wow, i really like this. I do hope that you continue to write more...
Angaloth chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
Very beautiful, yet very sad as well. I find it very interesting to see that Imrahil also suffers from a certain degree of sea-longing. But unfortunately for him, he could never sail to the Undying Lands. Legolas at least will be able to, although the sea-longing pulls on him much more. It must be so hard to resist its call. It shows what inner strength Legolas has. It also shows how much he values his mortal friends.
-Again, very beautifully written Thudera Tiger! But I would expect nothing less. : D
Happy Holidays!
What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come
To carry you home.
Hobbes chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
Herm, very tender. Very delicatly handled. I like it. Quiet angst becomes your style, miss, as does the first person POV. Imarhil was wonderful. Couldn't quite get into Legolas, though. Still, rockin story.
Guardgirl12 chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
*Sigh* What a wonderful little story. And I do mean little, especially for you! But, it was just as brilliant and inspired as all your other stories. First, let me compliment you on an aspect that I have noticed in other works...your elven gaze. I absolutely adore your portrayal of the power of an elven stare. You weild it not too often, but when you do it is awesome. The intensity is amazing, but I think the best part is the reaction of the people once they are released. I think it was in LoLaS that you really honed this little skill. Keep it up!
It was really interesting to read from the first person point of view. I had never noticed that you haven't really posted anything from the POV before, and while I think I like third person perspective better (in general), you were still excellent in this style. Can you ever write less than amazingly?
I can't wait to see what you have in store for me next, and I hope the wait isn't too long. Happy holidays to you, and may writer's block not haunt you!
Firnsarnien chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
Wow! That was really good. Such bittersweetness in this story! *sigh* It only makes sense that Legolas would have learned to build a ship from *somewhere*.
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
Hi, Thundera!
Very, very nice! I like the way you portrait Imrahil,although I feel it almost somewhat cruel to have him feel so much of the yearnings of his eldar foremother, but since he's mortal not being able to ever truly answer it; for him, there is no choice between the two kindred. I also loved the idea that Imrahil, other than Gimli and Aragorn, does not seek to hinder Legolas visit to the sea, but rather understands it, while Gimli and Aragorn both are too concerned with both the effect of the cloaseness of the sea to Legolas as increasing his need and suffering from the longing, and (probably) with the fear to lose him at last to it and have him set sail, to deal with his wish to see it in an accepting manner. And I liked the statement about Legolas elven nature, often overlooked even by his friends:
"We acknowledge his striking appearance, his keen senses, his grace and stealth, and his unmatched skill with the bow. Yet we forget that these are but outward expressions. We forget that his mind, his thoughts, and his nature are elven. His methods and motivations are wholly foreign, even to those of us with elven blood in our veins."
This is an interesting thougt, especialy from Imrahil, although I ponder if it is also true for Aragorn (since he was raised by elves, and therefore should have a better chance to understand them) or for the friendship of Legolas and Gimli (since *both* are not human and therefore their tought process has to be as alien *to each other* as to thise of humans).
Anyway, as always, this is a great piece iof writing, which I like immensely. Now I only pnder what Aragorn and Gimli might think when at last they somehow get word from about Legolas frequent visits to "Rohan" of late, especially after the fact. Somehow I would love to see that one.
"Imrahil, You taught him *what*? What were you thinking?"
Well, anyway, now we know how Legolas lwearned to build those things so he could finally take Gimli with him. I always thought he went for a time to Cirdan and seeked to be taught by the master himself. But I suppose the temptation to just enter a ship and set sail from Mithlond in this case would have been to great to resist, so this solutions seems the better one.
Anyway, thank you for this piece! Take care! Great christmas!
Greetings to you,
Aislynn
P.S.: erm... (shyly added) would there be any chance soon to see a new chapter of "Land of Light and Shadows"?
Stephanie Lou chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
One of the many things I love about your stories is the fact that you write about Legolas and the sea longing, which not many authors do, or if they do do it, its done badly. Im really gladf you posted a story and I cant wait till you update Fear No Darkness, During a Journey in the Dark and Land of Light and Shadows (hint hint!)
Stephanie-Lou
JastaElf chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
*stares in delighted awe at the screen*
TT, this is magnificent. One comes to expect such things from you, of course; you always handle the characters with such grace, such a compassionate hand, and you write like a goddess. But this is just a wonder.
Perhaps it is the constraint of length and the other things placed upon successful completion of the task; I don't know. But this is a tight, lyrical, graceful little gem-a superb Imrahil, a delightfully Elven Legolas, beautiful even in his misery... and their conversation sparkles like the sun off the sea. Thank you SO much for sharing this with us! I shall recommend it forthwith!
26 | « Prev Page 1 2