Reviews for Some Analysis on the Works of Tamora Pierce
rebecca chapter 2 . 8/14
Very interesting! I love it!
Cottia chapter 2 . 7/1/2006
So before you read this review, I'd like you to read my earlier one.

Now that that has been established, I would like to disagree with your analysis. For one thing, I think that Kel and Alanna kill, while Daine does not, because they are warriors, while she is a shapeshifter, and often (to animals) a healer. Another thing that I would object to is the idea that Jon and Kel only act because of their obligation. One reason that Jon went after Alanna was to protect the kingdom (ie, a girl was fighting, etc), as well as the fact that he was harboring romantic feelings for her, which doesn't have much to do with her feudal status. And Kel, besides the feelings that she has towards her refugees (not simply obligations), also does not want to supply Blayce with more material for his machines. Also, your fic says: "It is the heritage of their caste to judge and deliver justice as they see fit. They hearken to an earlier time, a period that presumably existed in Tortall before its dominance by the Conté line, where nobles dealt out "high justice" to those in their domains." As a matter of fact, Kel's family had only just become nobles at the beginning of First Test, well after the Contè line had been established, etc.
Cottia chapter 1 . 7/1/2006
I quite like this, but only when looking at it as a parody. Under other circumstances, I would enjoy it, simply as is, but I still harbor a rather slavish devotion to Tamora Pierce, not wanting to see it criticized, really, except in fun. But as a parody, this is hilarious. chapter 2 . 10/24/2005
can't believe i am actually saying this, but, this was actually interesting... am i weird or what?
Miliko01 chapter 2 . 8/6/2004
hey, cool. Very insightful. How did you come up with the idea?
Alone in the Desert chapter 1 . 7/2/2004
It's a shame you call this a parody, because I find your analysis interesting enough to take seriously.
Skysong521 chapter 2 . 4/10/2004
Lighten up.
anon chapter 2 . 4/5/2004
Interesting, but you're forgetting the trial of Joren, who recieves a small fine and the heavily punnished commoners and Vinson's attack on Lalasa and her refusal to report him/general treament of common women by noble men and how they are unable to defend themselves or seek justice other than through a female religious order (the temple of the mother goddess). I think that TP's distrust of the legal system stemmed from her parent's divorce (more can be found at these sites and
/ )
Edreya Natalya chapter 2 . 3/19/2004
Sorry, too lazy to log in at the moment.
Wow. I'm in awe. Excellent analyses, both of them. :) (Frightening thought: don't I sound like Eddie or someone? Oh no!) Anyway, as I said, these are great! Looking forward to more...
Annoying Chaos chapter 2 . 3/10/2004
Far too liberal to ever get the recognition it deserves from the fangirls that swarm the TP section.
I'm glad to see someone else notices and thinks about Tamora Pierce's worlds and their flaws and ethics. It's also good to know that Pierce realizes that her worlds cannot be perfect.
I look forward to the next essay. Which reminds me-why is this under parody? Although I doubt has an 'Essay' catagory, there must be something more suitable.
lady Vir chapter 1 . 3/7/2004
You are putting way to much thought in to this there grate books that keep you intersted and wanting more when yoou think aboutit that much your takeing the fun ot of it.
AB-scribere chapter 1 . 3/3/2004
I just reread "Far More Merciful Than You Deserve" and I have one disagreement. You say Daine doesn't kill Yolane (in comparison to Kel and Alanna) because she's common. I disagree slightly. Alanna and Kel are warriors, and I think it is more the warrior mentality than their nobility that influences that.
Storm Mage chapter 2 . 3/2/2004
Very interesting essays! I can't believe I haven't reviewed yet... Well it looks like you put a lot of thought into your writing even if it's labled a parody!
AB-scribere chapter 2 . 2/29/2004
Absolutely fascinating. The point never occured to me before, but it is very true... You make an excellent argument. I'd invite you to join the Dancing Dove (it seems you'd fit right in), but I've been informed that you've already been recruited. Overall, congrats on a wonderful debate.
Caitlin chapter 1 . 2/29/2004
Hello, very interesting. May I make a suggestion? This really isn't the place for this type of exploration. Nor is the audience really one that would appreciate this to it's full potential. However, if you would like to discuss this in nauesating detail, may I direct you to the Dancing Dove? We actually have several of these types of conversations- though mostly on the social constructions of gender. But the concept of TP's characters as very modern characters in a not-so-modern setting is very interesting. (In fact, we've coem to the conclusion that so many girls love Neal because in almost every aspect, he is a very modern man.) Democracy does indeed seem to be frowned on and compared with something akin to anarchy.
Anyway, the address is . . I'd love to have you post this in either the Tortall or Emelan forums.
If you're not interested in that, I'd love to use your essays at The Lioness's Den (upcoming) where we plan to have an essay section. I've already received some lovely character analysis and Jon vs. George and added my own militantly anti-Dom to the mess, but we've nothing like this.
Hope to see you at the Dove, I'm looking forward to discussing this with you in further detail!