Reviews for A BeeKeeper's Diary
Anon Amon chapter 8 . 7/13/2016
Thanks for this great story! It had me on my toes the entire time!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
Excellent, excellent...Watson would be proud.
alanneau2 chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
Sorry, didn't realize I wasn't signed in when I sent the last review...

An altogether excellent rendition characterized by good grammar, spelling and word usage so unlike the majority of FanFiction writers.

Lady Heliotrope chapter 1 . 12/25/2011
I love the spiritual context of this story; it lends an air of the mystical and mysterious that fascinated our beloved Sir Arthur. Beginning with a piano is never a bad way to start, either; despite myself I am like a child offered candy when I see a piano in an unexpected place. Namely a fanfic.

Let me say simply: I will never hear Mendelssohn the same way again after this work. That is the truth.
Lady Heliotrope chapter 7 . 12/25/2011
A marvelous observation: "A point that my violin tutor had made with repeated emphasis-and with sincere emotion-was that an effective, musical performance had the feeling of spontaneity to it, when the performer seemed to create the music out of the moment. Many times I heard him direct me to stop playing notes and start playing music. At this moment I could hear his voice whisper gruffly: It is too rehearsed."

Bravo on a piece that is not mere words but a magical narrative.
Lady Heliotrope chapter 6 . 12/25/2011
"I know that you must wonder: why could I not pretend, why could I not continue the charade? Please remember that I was young and inexperienced, and my methods were undeveloped. Shock had infected my brain, and my desperate mind failed to grasp a single scattered thought."

This terrible experience surely inoculated him.
Lady Heliotrope chapter 5 . 12/25/2011
"If it were not for solitary and secret experiences, I would not have lived half my life."

If you look at my profile, I think you will find this is a perspective I share to some extent.

Also remarkable was your exceptional gracefuness in describing Holmes' pensive moment:

"Standing in that sanctuary of a room, bathed in sunlight and towering over their heads as both a physical figure and an intellectual presence, it was not difficult for me to dismiss their wan reaction as naivete. But, as I would come to understand, many years into the future, my brilliant performance of the Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Concerto for Violin in E minor was not quite the great achievement that my foolish heart believed it to be. As a technical exercise it caused me no difficulty; as a cohesive, moving, deeply musical experience, it had slipped through my fingers. The naivete was my own."

This chapter shows that Holmes has been where many of us self-conscious people have been. I am enchanted by the humanness of Holmes and the humility he expresses in retrospect. He has grown as a person, that much becomes clear in this wonderful paragraph.
Lady Heliotrope chapter 4 . 12/25/2011
What is so very interesting about this chapter is this procedure: "prepared to engage in what some might naively label a daydream, but which I have defined as a creative visualisation. This very useful cognitive ability has provided exercise for both deductive and inductive thinking skills, in addition to some simply pleasurable experiences. To truly enter into a creative visualisation one cannot wander aimlessly throughout the mind as a passive observer, but must actively set up a specific situation, decide one's part in it, and follow it through as a concentrated participant, existing in an absolute time and place. One must see, hear and feel not with the body and senses, but from within the brain."

This is an aspect of Holmes very much lost in the Robert Downey Jr. realization of the Holmes myth, both first and second movies, though I must admit that some instantaneous (though impossible) variant was employed at times to some interesting effect, e.g. when fighting with Moriaty at Reichenbach. Your illustration of the mechanics behind thought about a three-pipe problem was significant and astute.

Moreover, I find it even more striking how close this "creative visualization" is to the practice of shamanic spiritual journeying, which I have been learning to do of late. With his interest in unusual techniques and his broad travel experience, I wonder if it might have been picked up from exposure to shamanic practitioners, which I suppose Holmes would not be entirely dismissive of if he realized the practical application of their practices. But I think his practice might indeed be organic, as I myself have done such "creative visualization" for the whole of my life, though aided by a culture of television and films. No doubt, as this is your brainchild of a tale, you know something of it as well.
Lady Heliotrope chapter 3 . 12/25/2011
The thoughts on eye-closing during concerts are so insightful. Also, this quotation makes me ache with the same ache he experiences at the moment: "Suffice it to say that his performance was a very welcome experience after the recent weeks of tedium, and moments into the third movement my fingers were twitching with the desire to seize my own instrument and bury myself once again in the music." What an example of what Virgina Woolf described as, "living poets express a feeling that is actually being made and torn out of us at the moment."

In addition, the sentence preceding the quotation about the twitching fingers (the one regarding his writings on Mendelssohn) is delightfully Holmesian as well.

Forgive me for exhausting my liberties as a reader in reviewing every chapter, but this piece has garnered so little attention compared to much more mundane works (many written by myself on old accounts) that I feel it to be a duty.
Lady Heliotrope chapter 2 . 12/25/2011
This story still is resonating in my being days later. I empathize greatly with the sentence: "Improvisation always came to me more easily than memorisation; it is less difficult to compose than to absorb the thoughts of another, although, the process of analysing a composition is often even more delightful than playing it." Wonderful stuff.
Lady Heliotrope chapter 8 . 12/25/2011
This was a simply remarkable piece that truly engrossed me. I read it yesterday and am still thinking about it intermittently all day. It is a beautifully woven tapestry of a tale, nothing seemed out of place or discordant with canon. I want very much to read more work like this. I think the Mendelssohn was a perfect touch. What a lurching start into theworld of crime he had! Marvelous work. Happy Christmas.
Hijokugei chapter 8 . 5/5/2011
Holy FUCK that was awesome. That... just... bloody hell.
Valerian Spellcaster chapter 8 . 9/19/2006
And at long last, the story reaches its end and off to its own peaceful slumber :D

Fantastic read. One of the best written Holmes fics I have ever come across. Your descriptions flow nicely, your use of vocabulary is magnificent and the story itself is like a painted picture, telling its own tale. Absolutely breath-taking. I'm highly impressed for the delicateness of your facts and the highly canonical revision.

Truly a wonderful read and if I'm not mistaken, this fic really topped off the majority number of books I have come across since my first book at the age of four and a half. Words really couldn't express how much I loved this fic. It's so well-written! I can't really compare it with other writings. It's got a unique style of its own that really perks up my toe-curling feel of immense pleasure. Thank you for sharing this wonderful fic. I hope to see a story under your name again - even though this fic is written about 2 years ago :P

-All the best from me,

Zantetsuken-Steel Bladed Sword.
Pinkpanther chapter 8 . 10/22/2005
Wonderful, absolutely wonderful story! For me however (a university violin student) the musical descriptions were perhaps the best part - so apt and poetic. Very enjoyable to read overall! :)
J.K.Ellis chapter 1 . 6/3/2004
I was very impressed by this story. It's nearly to the caliber of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself, at least as engaging as his stories. No one can do mystery as well as he. Anyway, I found this to be a very accurate depiction of Holmes- he wasn't over emotional, yet not devoid of it. And I must say, you write better as Holmes than Doyle did, his talent shined only through Watson. I was disappointed at first to find Watson missing from the cast, but I was pleasantly surprised at what I found.

Your original characters were superb, particularly the characters of Jane and Madame. I am a bit unclear as to the exact relationship between Sherlock Holmes and the Madame and the Master, but a little ambiguity cannot harm the story, perhaps even augment it.

Enough of my rambling- bravo.