Reviews for To the Sea
Lily Dragonquill chapter 1 . 12/23/2004
I have read this story a long time ago and am rather surprised to see I have not reviewed.

This is so beautiful and sad at the same time. It's amazing how inspiring music can be.
Raven Aorla chapter 1 . 7/18/2004
Such atmosphere and spare, yet eloquent, description leaves me at a loss for words. Thank you. It's my favorite song.
Werecat99 chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
Absolutely beautiful. Both hobbits were in character and I could feel their sorrow through the words.
It did have that "dreamy" feeling, you know...
Good work, you should be proud. And thanks for the review.
Budgielover chapter 1 . 1/4/2004
This is so achingly sad. I shouldn't have read it after seeing RotK again yesterday, not so soon...
You have the most fascinating writing style, Tolkien-ish in that it is lyrical and somewhat distant, more formal than most writers. And like Tolkien, it reads like prose, engaging our emotions as it grieves our hearts. I found it especially fascinating your description of Frodo fading as he rested in Sam's arms - that was new. This was beautifully written, and very well crafted, down to the salty tear.
Aratlithiel1 chapter 1 . 1/2/2004
'...for the bond that tied Mr. Frodo to the land has broken and he cannot translate for Sam, who is still of the Shire, any longer.' *sniff* Oh, that's just so lovely and insightful. Very, very nice piece. Sad yet somehow peaceful. So glad to see something new from you - it's been too long!
Ariel3 chapter 1 . 1/2/2004
Very sweet, GH... I do like the stuff you write. It has depth and meaning and reflects the story from a point of true understanding. I do hope you will grace us with more of your work.
Kaewi chapter 1 . 1/1/2004
What a beautiful accompaniment to the soundtrack! I will definately have this story in mind the next time i listen to it. I hope you don't mind that I put this story in my favourites! I am truly touched by it. Anyone who is a fan of the books (or movies) should read this short fic for sure. It was inspiring and heart-warming!
Iorhael chapter 1 . 1/1/2004
Very sad! I haven't seen the movie and my soundtrack CD hasn't arrived yet. That's sad! But the idea of his going also always makes me sad, too.
GamgeeFest chapter 1 . 12/31/2003
"And what do you see in my eyes, Sam?"
"The horizon"
Beautiful and bittersweet. And that Frodo truly isn't leaving Sam for good, but only awhile: the horizon won't be forever out of reach. Just lovely.
kisstherain chapter 1 . 12/31/2003
Holy cow.
This story was truly amazing, and almost brought tears to my eyes at more then one point.
You are a truly amazing writer, I cant wait to read more wonderful stories by you.
-Gail
shirebound chapter 1 . 12/31/2003
Oh, this is so bittersweet! Thank goodness Prof. Tolkien wrote that Sam *would* be able to sail, and that Frodo would never truly "go where I can't follow". Beautiful.
Nivina chapter 1 . 12/31/2003
Reading your wonderful vignette for the second time now made me weep again. You've captured the mood amazingly, and it sounds so true that I could hear and see Sam and Frodo in my mind while reading it- as well as Sam's despair and Frodo's yearning...
jupiter-jazz chapter 1 . 12/30/2003
I just wrote a one-shot similar to this, so of course I had to read it! That was beautiful. You did a wonderful job of explaining something that could never really be explained. I don't even think that JRR Tolkien could explain it if he had to, but that's what makes it so beautiful and so sad, that you can't explain it. There is no reason, it just had to happen. Thank you for writing such a beautiful story.