Reviews for Sundial
H-bomber chapter 4 . 1/1
I love this idea that Hannya and Aoshi are brothers! Great story, very enjoyable.
kalmaegi chapter 4 . 10/4/2014
plot twist to the ends of the earth! I can't believe it. I thought it was just-I thought wrong!
kalmaegi chapter 2 . 10/3/2014
God, Shishou just shows up in everything. Not that I don't mind. Hahahaha
Guest chapter 4 . 8/27/2014
This story is so so beautiful. I can't- I'm positively overwhelmed with emotions so I can't form a coherent reaction (I'm going to have to re-read and review a bit more eloquently). Thank you for writing this!
seikkyokuka chapter 4 . 2/13/2014
Aww nice ending :-)
seikkyokuka chapter 2 . 2/10/2014
Love the idea that Aoshi is going nuts haha
Bonsoir chapter 4 . 2/2/2014
"She is the one who, at the end of the day, changed us from warrior demons back into simple men." This is such a strong line, wow. Aoshi's blackout moments (where he can't recall what he's been doing) are pretty interesting, but to slap him right up next to Misao and Han'nya is sad.

To be critical of this old story would be silly, but the manga does mention a more concrete beginning to Han'nya's face troubles; it's worse than what you've used here, but everything from Aoshi finding him onward is pretty good, and, I think, believable.

I wanted to give Han'nya a big ol' hug for being so happy with Misao's treatment of him, for wanting a normal life, for…well, for CRAVING a normal life, not just for himself, but for little Misao also.

I love that you brought up the scene where Misao "hallucinated" seeing Han'nya, when he promised her that Kenshin would bring Aoshi home again. That was a perfect addition to the story.

"I guess she doesn't own one." In regards to a day kimono, I really liked this line. People always go one way or the other with Misao as to her choice of clothes, but it always seemed to me that she honestly just didn't own anything like a kimono; at least, not that we ever see. In the end, I wonder if maybe Aoshi and Co. are worried that it might make her LESS normal.

I admit I didn't really dig the Han'nya being Aoshi's (Han'nya's?) brother (that was getting weird there, for a moment). It sort of made the entire thing feel a little trite? And then Aoshi felt like an actual douchecanoe instead of a pretty decent guy behind all the other problems. Still, an interesting story; I agree with something you said in a review reply: there aren't many well-written Aoshi/Misao stories, and that still holds true today. Aoshi is very hard to write, and to balance Aoshi the man with Aoshi the man who needs Misao in his life is hard. People tend to mess it up with romance instead of using friendship and romance to bring them together. (And when I say this, I mean, it's not intentional fudging on the author's part; they just don't seem to know how to steer the two in a direction that is believable and helpful to them both, even when they really wish to.)

Fun read, thanks for posting this, even if it was 5ever ago. :)
Bonsoir chapter 3 . 2/2/2014
I like Beshimi playing a role, here; he so rarely gets to play an important role in anything. Curious about the sundial; I wonder if it's one of the few things that Aoshi actually owns, that's actually his. That said, Misao being surprised by Aoshi is always cute no matter what.
Bonsoir chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
I almost spit out my drink when I saw a review reply for Shimizu Hitomi in here; I've known her for a number of years in another fandom, but it always amuses me to see that there is/was crossover in the fandoms my friends and I frequent(ed).

Anyway, this was an angsty chapter but it's interesting, too. I like the setup for Aoshi's past you've got going here; I think all we know of Aoshi's past is that his parents are dead? Everything else is Oniwabanshuu to the present iirc.

Anyway, a nice story so far. It's true that they say (when Kenshin asks Aoshi to drink with him, post-Shishio) Aoshi has "no tolerance" for liquor but we're unsure as to what that means, exactly. It could mean just about anything. For all we know he just passes right out, has unnaturally bad hangovers (from drinking almost nothing), pukes everywhere, gets really horny, whatever. Either way, I thought your idea of him just puking his guts up was super legit. :)
Bonsoir chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
This is an interesting concept. It's kind of funny but it's also really sad at the same time, how Aoshi is moving through the motions of a life and not really enjoying any of it-even wanting, at times, to die, feeling unwanted and unnecessary.
Sapphire Midnight chapter 4 . 10/22/2012
Amazing. I cannot possibly describe just how amazing this is. You did a beautiful job, and this story is a piece of art.
Plasmolysed Cell Membrane chapter 4 . 6/1/2012
wow! thank you so much for writing this!

I read most of it on my phone. ha! so it took me a while to finish reading this (while I was at work..shhh) but anyways, I finally got on my computer and decided to write you a well-deserved review.

I love how imaginative and meticulously woven together the whole story is, everything connects in full circle. It's definitely set apart.

Also, it has such a lovely bitter-sweet balance between humour and angst. You have such a powerful vocabulary too, but you don't overdo it, painting imagery with simple adjectives here and there.

Of course, one of the hardest parts of writing RK fanfic is doing an Aoshi POV! I can't even begin to imagine what goes on in his head, but you've done so well making it all believable.

Absolutely loved it! Thanks again for writing it! :D
alynawatlovers chapter 4 . 1/27/2012
This is sooooooo good! :D Seriously! :D
Otaku Pitcher chapter 4 . 7/26/2011
Thanks for writing a *very* good story! It was tightly crafted: a clear idea executed well. Personally, I thought it was an interesting take on Hannya's back-story (interesting in the good sense, not the bad sense).
Sailor Pandabear chapter 4 . 6/1/2011