Reviews for Flame of the West
Jaya Avendel chapter 1 . 9/11/2018
I love how Famamir pledges his allegiance to Aragorn. His resolve is very strong, I can see. And Aragorn is true to his healing heritage as well as his friendly nature.

I love the last lines of the story about Earendil. It brings a cool sense of closure to this tale.
Phosphorescent chapter 1 . 2/21/2015
Beautifully written and with an excellent grasp of character voices. Thank you for sharing this with us!
WhyMustIWrite chapter 1 . 7/15/2012
I love the feel of this story. It was very moving to have Faramir decide to swear his oath of loyalty there in the Houses of Healing, not knowing whether he'd ever get to do so with the pomp and circumstance that was expected for such an event as the Steward relinquishing the realm to the returning King. The sincerity of that moment, it's uncontrived nature, really made it stand out. And it was such a great touch, having Aragorn reword his response as he did. I also appreciated the foreshadowing when Aragorn told Faramir it was good for him to walk in the gardens, as well as Faramir's dream at the end.
Nimloth9 chapter 1 . 11/23/2011
I nearly screamed "No!" when Faramir pledged his loyalty to Aragorn. But it was a very good story, and as always I loved your Faramir.
Darkover chapter 1 . 10/10/2010
Once again, you have written an excellent story. This one is full of descriptive details, but IMHO the best part is the budding relationship between the new King and his new Steward. The significance of changing the order of the words of the King's acceptance of Faramir's oath was not lost on me, and I like the way Aragorn/Elessar made sure it was not lost on Faramir, either. Faramir's innocent remark of how he would walk into the fire if Elessar commanded it, and Aragorn's reaction to it, was very good, too, as it was an excellent metaphor for the difference between the new King and the late Steward. Denethor tried to force his own, still-living son into the fire; King Elessar would not do such a thing to anyone. The last few lines ending the story, Faramir's (prophetic?) dreams of better times ahead, were just wonderful. Thanks for writing and posting this. Sincerely, Darkover
SubRosa7 chapter 1 . 8/28/2010
Loved this! Thanks for mentioning it! I think the relationship between these two characters is so interesting - and there is always the what if, if the dream had not come to Boromir...

Thanks again!

Susana
LadyoftheShield chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
I think this one is my favorite so far. I love so much about this I don't know where to start!

I loved when you had Faramir kneel down and give the oath to Aragorn, despite having no sword. And I loved Aragorn's noble and kingly acceptance of that oath.

Excellent job!
duj chapter 1 . 6/6/2009
Walk into the fire ... That's the last thing Aragorn would want of anybody, isn't it?
SilentLaurel chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
This has long been a favorite of mine. It is my shame to have neglected it until now.

There is a quiet simplicity about this story that I like. So much loveliness, and undercurrents of emotion, yet your writing is not gaudy. You manage to strike a tone that is neither overly descriptive nor stilted. It's strange, but this story is almost restful. I've read it over many times since you posted it.
Epilachna chapter 1 . 11/5/2006
Beautifully written. Very touching scene between Faramir and Aragorn.

Epi
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 1/21/2006
"Aragorn stood up to go. This time Faramir stood too and, as he watched the other man move towards the door, a pang went through him. It felt like loss. Like exile."

Beautiful! So is the rest of the story.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 9/25/2005
This is just beautiful. I cannot praise it highly enough.I always imagine Aragorn changing the order of the words too.
sielge chapter 1 . 9/7/2004
This was beautiful!
Maya chapter 1 . 6/23/2004
You reduced me to tears with the oath-taking and the line, "I would walk into the fire if you commanded it."
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 3/1/2004
I read this story when it first came out, and I just realized I never left a review. I enjoyed this very much. The "feel" of it really stuck with me: the atmosphere of calm before the storm, nostalgia, uncertainty, end of an era and hope for the future all at once. Lovely!
-Rose