Reviews for Flame of the West
Soledad chapter 1 . 1/14/2004
That was wonderful - as always. You were about the first author I've detected when I found this fandom, and I still enjoy every line you write as much as I did two years ago. :)
iamanumber chapter 1 . 1/14/2004
Another impressive piece of writing. The way you portrayed both Aragorn and Faramir, and the way you gave life to their interaction in this short scene is really amazing.
Thanks for writing so beautiful stories.
Carol chapter 1 . 1/13/2004
This comes to life so vividly. All the little details, like Faramir being wary of someone entering his room, and the description of the changing light, really bring the scene to life. It was a real pleasure to read.
Aragorn approves of walks in the garden. I guess he's already anticipating Faramir and Eowyn's relationship.
I liked seeing Faramir dream about a happy moment with his family while smelling athelas.
I've been enjoying your writing for a while now, and been meaning to say so, so this story was a reminder to do so. I loved A Game of Chess. A Kind of Valediction is another favorite, because I have a bit of a soft spot for Denethor in spite of everything. I don't actually see him as overtly abusive to the extent you write him, though that portrayal certainly isn't contradicted by canon, and it made for great stories on your part. I first found your stories on Henneth Annun, but I came here hoping for more - and there was more, yay!
jynkang chapter 1 . 1/12/2004
beautiful...
Aragorn breathed out a little smoke. “News reaches you even in your seclusion,
Ashfae chapter 1 . 1/11/2004
Excellent, excellent, all your stuff is excellent.
websterans chapter 1 . 1/11/2004
Lovely-it's rare to see an introspective piece handled so delicately, letting the reader feel what he is feeling instead of merely telling. Thanks a lot-now I gotta go read all your other stuff!
Aurora West chapter 1 . 1/11/2004
That was very nice. Sad, I thought. I think I'll go see what else you've written.
shirebound chapter 1 . 1/11/2004
This is wonderful - so beautifully written and effective! Faramir finally has someone who appreciates his fealty, and Aragorn has a strong right hand who will walk with him "into the fire". Well done.
Lady Wenham chapter 1 . 1/11/2004
Ah, Altariel. You have certainly become one of my favorite authors. I love your portrayal of Faramir in all your stories. He is by far my favorite character in LOTR. You have captured him so beautifully in so many of your stories. Please continue to do so! Would it be to much to request another long Faramir story, like "A Game of Chess?" Your adoring fans would indeed appreciate such a gesture. :)
I love the connections you made with the movie in this story. The scene where Pippin pledges to Denethor with Faramir watching is a powerful one, if you watch the eye-play between father and son. Bravo! I've always wanted to read of Faramir's pledge to Aragorn.
bearleft chapter 1 . 1/10/2004
Beautiful and poignant, for all its simplicity. You are truly one of the best Faramir writers out there.
Nebu chapter 1 . 1/10/2004
I don't know much about fanfiction (or writing, for that matter... i'm, uh, writingishly challenged) but i've printed this out and put it with the stuff i read when i'm depressed. thanks!
TeenTypist chapter 1 . 1/10/2004
I love this. So sweet. I love missing scene LotR fics.
ErinRua chapter 1 . 1/10/2004
Hello there ~
This is me being too lazy to log in, but I just wanted to say what a lovely vignette this was! Very thoughtful and graceful, with a slow pace that let the reader experience and appreciate the emotions. The oath-taking between Aragorn and Faramir brought a lump to my throat, it was so elegantly done. I know I don't review your stories as I should, but you have a marvelous gift. :-)
Cheers ~