Reviews for After the Fall
The Shadow Keeper chapter 1 . 10/22/2014
Once again great story!
AJRedRobin chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
Nice excuse Bruce. Loved it. Going back and reading older stuff. Sometimes have to catch up, since I've been the new person, oh for about a month or so.
Roz chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
Awww! I love Batman's excuse for coming to Bludhaven XD

Great story!

thanks, and keep up the good writing
Unseen Watcher chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
great hug. love hugs. They're all way behind the human being quota on them. Loved the fact that Batman wrapped his cloak around them. His entire 'family' could hide in there. heh.
bat-with-butterfly-wings chapter 1 . 12/1/2010
Hahaha this was great! I especially liked the ending. Oh Bruciepoo, you and your fancy business talk :D
Agena K chapter 1 . 8/2/2010
Dear Esther-Channah

This part that is below is what I believe to be some of the best characterization of Batman and Nightwing thatI have ever read. thank you,

"I didn't say it wasn't your responsibility," Bruce interrupted. Dick turned to face him. "You have a duty to the people who died here today, yes," he continued, "to hunt down the ones responsible for this carnage, and to bring them to justice—"

Nightwing smiled bitterly. "Justice? That seems to be in short supply, these days." His eyes were starting to sting again, wasn't that blasted smoke gone yet?

"Doesn't that make it all the more precious?" Nightwing didn't answer. His eyes shut tightly, and his breath came in ragged gasps. "Whatever you decide," Batman continued, "I—won't stop you." He gripped both of Nightwing's shoulders. Nightwing did not pull away. "And it won't change how I think of you," he hesitated for a moment, before finishing the sentence: "son." Dick nodded. A low sob escaped him. Bruce pulled him forward into an embrace, wrapping his cape around them both. Dick wept, as Bruce murmured gently "it's all right. I'm here. I've got you. Let it come. Let it come—so you can let it go." He repeated the litany several times, until the sobbing ceased. Then slowly, he loosened his arms."

Nightwing pulled away, equally slowly. When he felt he could trust his voice, he said "I think I'm okay, now. Thanks."

"What are your immediate plans?" He asked abruptly.

"I—I hadn't thought about it much. Patrol, I guess."

"Do you have a place to stay?"

"Not really."

One corner of Batman's mouth quirked upwards. "Money, credit cards?"

"They were—in my other suit."

Batman nodded. "I'd figured as much when I booked an extra room at the Huntsdown. Come back with me, now and I'll set you up with a couple of changes of clothes, a few dollars, and some temporary ID in the name of your choice. Get some sleep tonight—tomorrow, we can work out a plan of action."

"Alright," he said after a moment's thought. "So what is this Waynetech business that brings you out here?"

"Well, it seems that one of our larger shareholders may have lost the required identification that would allow him to liquidate his stock—if he were to need ready cash, and since he's not the sort who would normally call to advise via regular channels, I came to draw up the necessary papers."

"You?" Dick asked with the first genuine smile he'd made since the blast. "The CEO of the flipping company came for that?"

"The papers are in the hotel room. We can fill them out now, or in the morning."

Dick wasn't going to let this one go. "That was the best excuse you could come up with?"

"Yes, well, spur of the moment, it got me out of a stockholder's meeting," he mumbled. "Let's go."

An instant later, two shadowy forms leapt into the Bludhaven night."

Hieiko chapter 1 . 7/12/2009
This was wonderful.

And this made me laugh:

“Yes, well, spur of the moment, it got me out of a stockholder’s meeting.”
Creative Spark chapter 1 . 11/30/2006
GREAT! Write more!

-Creative Spark
kevboy chapter 1 . 9/11/2005
I know this is one of your older stories, but what a GREAT, GREAT story. The last part is exactly how, in my mind, I see how the relationship between Bruce and Dick could be...should be. After all they have been through, the fact that Bruce wouldn't come there after Dick's loss, and that he wouldn't hold his 'son' is just totally unrealistic. I really enjoyed this interaction.

There is a really good follow up to this story if you ever decide to write it - now that, in your view, Bruce has said he wouldn't feel less of him no matter what happens...I'd love to read your take on Bruce finding out about Dick's role in Blockbuster's death. Given this story as a foundation, that would be a good read.
John Westcott chapter 1 . 10/25/2004
A really nice tale with a great ending. I hope we see something even remotely this good in the comic some day, though I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Keep up the great work.

Aussie Nightwriter chapter 1 . 7/19/2004

I really loved this. I think you had Batman's character perfectly. And the ending was just too funny for words. Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Lorendiac chapter 1 . 5/21/2004
Y'know, as I read this, particularly around the part where Batman tells about how close he'd come to killing the Joker back in the "A Death in the Family" storyline (and it hadn't previously occurred to me that Dick might NOT know about those details already, but looking back on it, I don't remember Bruce ever telling him before in anything I've seen), it occurred to me to wonder how come Bruce and Dick almost never have talks like this in the comics? Lengthy talks, not quick chats that last about 100 words in 4 panels, and then it's off to another fight scene or something?
Then I decided that maybe I had answered my own question. Comics are supposed to visual, not text-oriented; few writers would be willing to routinely give us, let's say, a thousand-word conversation on a few comics pages in order to really clear the air between two of our beloved characters, when that would require covering up much of each page with word balloons instead of dramatic poses and the like. So I guess they boil down potentially promising conversations to the bare essentials and leave it to us to assume that a lot of DETAILED advice, recounting of interesting experiences, etc., occurred in stuff we didn't get to hear but are expected to extrapolate from the terse remarks we do see?
Ivy3 chapter 1 . 3/23/2004
Sad, very sad, but with a positive note to it. I liked their relationship.
Robin chapter 1 . 1/23/2004
Nicely done. I really like quiet, conversational stories like this one - especially between Dick and Bruce. :) Thanks for sharing.
Esther-Channah chapter 1 . 1/21/2004