Reviews for I Am Not Real
BluePhoenix21 chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Now, THIS is angst! Very cool! Easy to follow yet i can hear Drizzt asking these questions.

Well done!
ChibiItachi-chan chapter 1 . 8/11/2009
*sigh* its great... it could apply to any character...
Lady Annikaa chapter 1 . 10/20/2008
I've meant to comment on this, I love it. It is so powerful...
penny4him chapter 1 . 9/17/2008
I was very intrigued...it surely makes one think. Well done! Free will predestination...what is a balanced viewpoint? Forgive the rambling...I liked it.
Drow Elf chapter 1 . 12/30/2006
Powerful. I'm not sure where your inspiration comes from. Every word ever written on paper (or computer) finds its origin from somewhere in the author's soul.

What I got out of it was God, or Fate. Do we make our own choices? Or do we live out our lives at the whim of some unknown being, meticulously planning our every despair, our every delight for the entertainment of his (or her) peers.

It was a moving piece of work, and I'm glad you posted it.

Salaam,

Drow Elf

Xal dos zexen'uma wun l' elamshinae d' Lloth!
Ariel D chapter 1 . 7/17/2006
I'm glad I found this poem. The concept itself is nicely philosophical and one I've wondered about at times (especially when I write Tai). There are also several great lines like "grasping mortal hands" and "That you were no more real than ink,/And pressed paper." The ponderings themselves seem very in character for Drizzt. Well done.
chickens chapter 1 . 5/22/2004
Hmm. I wonder sometimes myself
Semdai Bloodquill chapter 1 . 1/21/2004
(slowly) whoa... (falls off chair) so deep... so soulful... so meaningful to all author created characters... (climbs back onto chair) I approve with all my black little heart. (claps gleefully)
PS: so you are the mysterious person who keeps reviewing my work... thank you for taking the time to read and review my work (bows) and do keep going with your own, it is very good. Top notch. (pause) Yeah...
Semdai Bloodquill
smith chapter 1 . 1/20/2004
If you realized that you were not real and someone
else decided everything about your
behavior, how would you feel?
I've read a short story sort of like this before-"Umney's Last Case" by Stephen King. In the story, a fictional character, a private detective, gradually realises he's just that, fictional. The character starts to write stories himself because: "[he] wants [his] life back, [he] wants things the way they were..."
The poem is quite melancholic in places, especially the lines: "Or is my story already done/ The last chapter/ Safely /Tucked/ Away..."

The lines about control and destiny were good, too. I mean, how would a character who knows he's a figment of somebody else's imagination feel knowing that everything he thinks he's thinking is actually being thought by somebody else? And that his own destiny is completely in somebody else's hands (well, mind), a person who might have also mapped out the fictional character's entire life?
If I was ever real once, I am not now!
A rather gloomy ending to a rather gloomy poem. Unlike King's Umney, who starts to write stories so he can feel real again in 1930s America rather than unreal in 1990s America, the Drizzt in your poem has come to the conclusion that once he knows that he's not real that he can never go back to feeling real again even if he wanted to, and that his entire existence is fictional.
Anyway, a good, thought-provoking poem. Thanks for posting it :)