Reviews for Exercise of Vital Powers
Elentarri chapter 2 . 1/8/2009
Please continue with this story. It's lovely so far.
Alasse Greyhame chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
Your story was interesting but I cannot agree with your characterization of Finduilas. I don't think she would have that power or the opportunity to use it but that's just my opinion and after all it is your story not mine. Good job.
8Gilluin8 chapter 1 . 3/3/2007
sielge said: "I must confess that I can see Thorongil and Finduilas more like friends..."

Really. I am sure, they _were_ friends. I can't say why, but I am sure.
8Gilluin8 chapter 2 . 3/3/2007
It's intrestinig, but I don't thing you are rigth. In your fic they think about they own, not about Gondor. And it can't be so, I am sure. But it's good fic. Maybe, sometimes I'll rigth my own fic about this. Now I'm afraid I can't do it well, but you helh me make up my mind. Someone need to tell the truth! :)
GabrielSilk chapter 2 . 2/17/2006
WOOT! Please continue, I LOVE this story! Yeh, you've got Aragorn's character right, he's nice unlike SOME stories. Sweet guy. I likee Denethor. It was SAURON'S fault he went kinda mad. Stop picking on lovely Denethor all you nasty people out there! *shakes fist at denethor haters* Ha, that'll show 'em. Anyway, plz continue, I wanna know what happens to Thorongil. And he DID have a part in Denethor and Boromir's death so ha. He scared Denethor, the nasty man AND he didn't save Boromir. The most HE did was throw him off a waterfall strapped to a boat.
kateydidnt chapter 2 . 4/7/2005
fascinating story. are you going to continue?
horsiegurl chapter 2 . 2/13/2005
I really liked this. Are you ever going to continue this story? I hope you do.
sielge chapter 2 . 9/23/2004
I must confess that I can see Thorongil and Finduilas more like friends... I do not think that if would be like in your story Imrahil woul recgnize so readilly Aragorn like his lord and king...
wellduh chapter 2 . 2/24/2004
Never really saw Finduilas like that. Almost as ruthless as her husband. I thought of her more as a counterpart to him. But this seems to work.
I'd like to see what happens here. Keep writing.
vorondis chapter 2 . 2/7/2004
You're not really an Aragorn fan, are you? But it was good to see Finduilas, not as a wilting flower - the image I was left with reading LotR and its appendices - but as a great Dunadan lady, with foresight and insight, and the determination to stand up for what she loves and believes in. I wonder what course the history of Gondor would have taken, if she had survived - especially, as she seems to be Denethor's match in more than the marital sense of the word. An interesting portrayal, and a fascinating confrontation!
Casey Toh chapter 2 . 2/6/2004
A 'cold' piece, yet one that is written with strength and skill. Finduilas isn't even described in the books but you've given her an important role that is admirable as well, if not courteous.
erunyauve chapter 2 . 2/4/2004
I love your view of the White City - it must be a fun place to describe, since Tolkien *did* tell us something about it, giving us a good place for our imagination to jump off and finish the details.
I do like Finduilas a bit better in this chapter - her foresight that Aragorn will play a role in the deaths of her husband and son gives her a less calculating reason for getting rid of Aragorn. However, I'm not sure that he thought of claiming the throne at that point.
I'm guessing that you're aiming at consumption as the cause of Finduilas' death? That would fit into Tolkien's description quite nicely, and it would also be a reason for her to 'wither' in the city. We forget that the air was not exactly clean and pure in the cities of the past, so it makes sense that she would have fared better by the sea.
Wild Iris chapter 2 . 2/2/2004
How different a picture we get of Aragorn and Denethor when seen through the eyes of Finduilas. The ambivalent portrayal of Aragorn was especially interesting, and to see him helpless before the Lady's will was. . . unusual :)
Lovely descriptions of the city and its surroundings, too.
Wild Iris chapter 1 . 2/2/2004
This is shaping up to be very interesting. The neat pen-portraits of the various players set the scene efficiently and clearly, and the humour at the beginning manages to be charming and disconcerting at the same time. One would not want to tangle with these ladies.
The politics are fascinating. I can sympathize with your Denethor; while I'm not a particular fan, he was certainly justified in not stepping aside in favour of Aragorn's dubious claim to the throne. And the mention of vassalage opens up intriguing questions about how Gondor kept its client fiefdoms loyal in the absence of a king.
LasseLanta01 chapter 2 . 2/2/2004
A truely formidable lady is Findulas. Something most people wouldn't think about is that Boromir, would also have been heir to Dol Amroth, if Imrahil was childless. Excellent point and quite a barganing chip. I very much like how you have portrayed her, with great iner strength an intelligence and outer decorum.
The descriptions of the Stewards house and in particular the ladies wing bring life to the imagination and tell much about the occupants. In fact all the descriptions are wonderful; the Anduin red in the setting sun, like mithral in a forge...so perfect, I've seen great rivers look that way.
A very nicely done chapter.