Reviews for In the Shadow of Dol Guldur
none yet chapter 4 . 1/28/2010
Again very well done! The main problem in this chapter was a few modern words, like "butt" and "pants" slipped in, and disrupted the flow of the story. It might help to change them to something more middle-earth appropriate.
none yet chapter 3 . 1/28/2010
I found one error: "Luinaur's eyes were all pupil, refusing to dilate in the torch light." Dilation is when the pupils get larger, so likely his eyes were refusing to "constrict in the torch light."

This story as a whole is amazingly well written :)
Nettie84047 chapter 13 . 3/18/2005
This is one of the best stories that I have had the pleasure to read in a long time. So beautifully written, it was frightening, sullen, mysterious and dark with little bits of humor to brighten it up at the right times. I very quickly added it to my favorites list and know that I will read it again. The characters are well developed and there isn't a single one that doesn't grab you and leave you hoping they survive. I am sad that this story hasn't received the recognition that it deserves. I have been a fanfic reader for two years and just barely discovered this. I notice that you haven't done anything for over a year but I hope that you will start tapping away at the keyboard again, you are truly talented and this story is a gem! Thank you!
erewyn chapter 13 . 4/19/2004
I'm certain I've never gone from sheer horror to claps of relieved laughter as many times as I have while reading this story. Each chapter adding another rock on a bruise of repulsion and dare I say more than a little fear. The realization of the first section of chapter eight was shocking and even guessing the climax of the final flight beforehand did little to ease the horror. A page turner in the best sense, made even better and more bitter by excellent characterizations and insight. You have tremendous talent and I thank you for the gift of your work. As far as which story to tell next I'm afraid it would be impertinent to respond except to request all possible speed as I (and many others I'm sure) wait to treasure whatever tale your deft hands choose to weave.
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 13 . 2/22/2004
Hi, Darkgirl!
A great story, and a great conclusion. I must admit that in parts it became too dark for my taste, and I apologize for being lazy with reviews because of it. Having Belegalad being the unwilling tool of Saurons evil and the killer of his mother (and nearly of his brother as well) was a genious move, but cruel to be sure! great writing! Keep it on!
Greetings to you,
Aislynn
Sareh chapter 1 . 2/14/2004
Your story is so well inter-woven into the true history of Greenwood the Great, that I keep on having to remind myself that many of the ideas and ways of expression are not Tolkien’s, but yours. And truly, I can’t think of a better compliment than to say that I think that even Tolkien would think that it is greatly worthy.
Thranduil’s regret at not learning more about his son is so effectively conveyed throughout this chapter through his thoughts and feelings. It is very realistically done, as his thought-processes and train of thought are just like a real person’s are. Ok, I’m sure I’m not making much sense, but I just mean to say that the way you have elaborated on each and every thought and emotion that flickers through your characters’ minds is amazing! A truly brilliant style that has kept me riveted throughout this chapter.
One part which I just happened 2 notice and which I particularly liked was when Thranduil was thinking of his father and was describing him. It could almost become a poem in itself:
golden and great,
battle cry whooping,
fierce eyes flashing
as he made his final charge.
~~
Aw! That paragraph where Thranduil was walking away from Legolas, but then turned back, is absolutely *brilliant*. The way you used the ‘fairy tale ending’ to express why the Elvenking wasn’t able to find the right words to say to his son was heart-warming. It really gives an insight to why, at times, Thranduil can be perceived as being cold and distant towards others.
The last ‘section’ of this chapter had my heart racing in an attempt 2 read as quickly as possible. The effects that your chilling metaphors and similes cause are gr8. These 3 are just a few which I luv:
~unconsciousness stood somewhere to the side patiently salivating~
~loss of blood coupled with his labored breathing made the siren song of sleep all the more alluring~
~cold like he'd never known devoured him from the inside~
There are *so* many other parts of this chapter which I love & that I’d like 2 point out, but I’m thinking that this review is already getting into almost chapter-length proportions...
I have read many author’s stories and fanfics, both off and on the net, but you are one of a very few which I think have an extra-ordinary amount of talent and flair to writing. I /really/ can’t wait 2 read some more of your work.
[hehe, what really astounds me, is that I’ve only read 1 chapter of your story & I’m absolutely hooked! _ ahh, well, I guess there’s not much 2 remedy that than sum more reading...
bye xx
Sareh chapter 1 . 2/14/2004
golden and great,
battle cry whooping,
fierce eyes flashing
as he made his final charge.
~~
~unconsciousness stood somewhere to the side patiently salivating~
~cold like he'd never known devoured him from the inside~
bye xx
Deana chapter 13 . 2/13/2004
! Elrond saved Legolas' life! WOO HOO! Awesome story, I loved it! :)
Carla chapter 12 . 2/9/2004
hi,
i'm usually one of those who silently read along, but after this chapter i just have to tell you how much i like your story.
i've read every chapter with interest, but this last one is the best. it is so sad and i love dramas.
i'm looking forward to your next chapter!
tineryn chapter 12 . 2/8/2004
That would be a terrible ending.
You meanie, tricking us like that. Good job, though... I didn't want Legolas' brother to be alive THAT way!
sigh. what am I going to do with you? Update.
tineryn chapter 11 . 2/6/2004
How CUTE! Poor Thranduil, his life really sucks, doesn't it? It'll be a nice suprise for him, though, when he sees them alive! Update!
Deana chapter 11 . 2/6/2004
WOW excellent chapter! Poor Legolas...all bruised up, lol. I'm glad that his mother woke up! Post 12 soon! :)
Deana chapter 10 . 2/3/2004
Great chapter! Thanks for posting it despite your long day! I hope you have a better day tomorrow so that nothing can potentionally stop you from posting chap 11! LOL! ;)
tineryn chapter 10 . 2/3/2004
The prince is alive! Hoorah! I knew he couldn't be dead yet! Good chapter! Post again soon!
Ruth chapter 9 . 2/3/2004
Dear Darkgirl,
Please accept my compliments on your story. I was amazed by its quality. Thank you for all of the hard work that has obviously gone into making this story refreshing and original. Your writing style is excellent, erudite and yet wonderfully again.
P.S Daw is one of my favourites, and I will be following your work with much anticipation.
Best wishes,