Reviews for Black Dragon: Book 1
tatsu chapter 1 . 12/14/2005
that was AWESOME!
amber matteson chapter 1 . 6/28/2004
hey! this sounds like an excellent story! i love your writing style, it really captures the star trek aura. please, write another chapter!
greatbear chapter 1 . 4/28/2004
Hey newtype-Alpha,
Great story so far.
When are you going to update.
It's refreshing to look at the other side of starfleet. Coming from a military family I have heard about omega suads, dirty dozens, etc.
Here is a note: They actually do exist.
Usually due to political or personal dislikes or grudges, and when they cannot cashier a soldier they assign him to the most unpleasant duties to get the soldier to quit.
Newtype Zeta chapter 1 . 4/11/2004
Howdy Alpha,
Didn't realize you'd started a Star Trek story until I glanced at your profile. Though I never much kept up with Star Trek except for the movies (some were good and some were questionably bad) I must say that this story has a large amount of potential. It's not everyday you hear about the Joe-Blows and Suzy-Q's of the Federation. It's always Kirk, Picard, Spock, Riker, Warf and all the other perfect soldiers that we follow and learn about.
Though my prime interest will always lie with Gundam and Macross, I'd seriously follow this story just to see how you deal with the Star Trek universe's style of writing, conflict, and development.
Keep up the good work Alpha, looks like you've got another winner in the making here!
Deathzealot chapter 1 . 3/26/2004
Very Nice! Keep it Up! Please post another chapter!
-DZ
dragoonwolf chapter 1 . 2/3/2004
The story is very interesting and shows a lot of promise, but the reasons for mutiny seem a little weak. Point 1, the captain doesn't really seemed to be disliked at the beginning of the story, I actually thought he would help them up until the briefing, and then I wasn't convinced. Point 2, the petty stuff the crew is charged with seems to lack any reason to encourage them to mutiny. If you can flesh out their history a little bit, make their captain more noticeably disliked by the crew, that will help the believability of Mutiny. Another point that would help with the believability of the crew muntiny would to make it something that starfleet has done to them on a personal level, not just reassign them, but having left them out to dry on more than one occasion, maybe they were left for dead during a prior engagement because Starfleet didn't approve of the action the captain had taken. As much as I hate to say it, the Star Trek history in the shows and books demonstrates loyalty amongst the members and is something that is very difficult to change on a massive scale.
Other than their reasons to mutiny, I think this story has a lot of promise and it will be a lot of fun to read about a ship full of ex-starfleet living the high life. Regardless of what I state above, I will continue to read what is posted.
Arthur Hansen chapter 1 . 2/1/2004
Er... nothing *wrong* with the story, but they really don't click as a group that I can really care about. So the misfits, feeling wrongly set upon, plan to steal a ship.
It just doesn't sound terribly Star Trek. I could see a Maquis reason, but these guys... I just don't think so.