Reviews for Gathering the Pieces
Blackgenius chapter 1 . 3/31
I'm a huge Maedhros fan, so I expected to hate this. I didn't. An outstanding piece of writing. A unique portrait of Feanor's heir, and the terrifying effects of torture. Well done!
Kingsdaughter613 chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
Nice. Sneaky, cunning, crafty Maedhros. He really does know his brothers well. Not the usual take on his personality but done excellently. Great job.
Gluttonous Meirene chapter 1 . 3/29/2012
Maedhros has always been depicted as a "son of fire" yet this fic has wonderfully depicted him as cold and calculating. He saw everything as something he can manipulate, as pieces to his checker-board, not even sparing his younger brothers. This quite a chilling, but intriguing depiction to him.
Whitetree-Nimloth chapter 1 . 7/20/2010
What a chilly depiction of Maedhros. I loved the checker-board images, it is well constructed.
Moreth chapter 1 . 1/21/2008
Without a doubt, this is the most scary Maedhros I have ever seen. I used to pity and admire him for working so hard to relearn his fighting skills. After reading this, I'm just afraid of him!

Concrit bit: I think 'Is it too morbid to say, "I have transcended it?"' should have the question mark outside the quotes - then the whole statement is a question (or did you intend otherwise?).

I realise you wrote this some time ago... here's hoping for more one day!
RavenLady chapter 1 . 5/7/2005
I'm afraid I don't know what to do except add my voice to the chorus telling you how brilliantly original this is. It's different from anything else I've read on the subject. This version of Maedhros is a bit chilling, but absolutely plausible. Wow. Just . . . wow.
The Bookbinder's Daughter chapter 1 . 8/31/2004
It’s always hard to figure out what to put in a review of one of your stories; there’s rarely anything that hasn’t already been said, and when there is, it doesn’t do the story justice. It’s amazing what you’re able to do with such a frequently-written tale and character. I read this right after reading ‘Unstrung’, and all the Fëanorians you tackle are consistently surprising without being uncanonical. You manage to put so much more emotion into a few simple sentences than most authors ever fit into pages and pages of heavy-handed angst.

'His finger moves, taps three times, rests: the Thangorodrim. It still amuses him to find himself so far above it. Is it too morbid to say, "I have transcended it?"'

Wow.
lipstick chapter 1 . 3/7/2004
This is the best Mae fic I've read since, well at least for six months. I love the point blank refusal to angst. The control of your writing is perfect. Maedhros is clearly very messed up, but tough and frighteningly together. It is a very real insight into someone who has been so traumatised they no longer understand emotion.
I adore it, love it, thanks for writing it.
Lalwen chapter 1 . 2/21/2004
One of the best post-Thangorodrim stories I've read. Truly wonderful and great use of imagery. This is going on my favourite stories list and I look forward to reading more of your work.
Sphinx chapter 1 . 2/10/2004
One of the most original interpretations of Maedhros I have ever seen. The prose is singular - not many authors can condense emotion and words together, but you seem to have done it. Not that I'm one to make any comments, of course. ;)
I liked this very much, and surprisingly so, because I'm not much of a Son-Of-Feanor fan. I like their dad much more. :) This is a brilliant an example of a vignette, and a particularly tricky one - because many have attempted to deal with the situation at hand, and not really succeeded. But you have.
Nice work.
Blume chapter 1 . 2/5/2004
hahaha! I knew it! had Maedhros been born female, I bet she would have controlled Fingon, snared Thingol and ruled Beleriand! ;D
Itarille chapter 1 . 2/3/2004
Wow! I'm very impressed. It's a really good portrayal of Maedhros, and just riveting. Any chance there will be more of this one?
Nol chapter 1 . 2/3/2004
I think this is a brilliant piece of work because the way the POV operates - seemingly composed, seemingly logical, seemingly well thought out, and, in the end, flawed, because he has reckoned without the vitality of his pieces. Maedhros displays the ruthlessness fundamental to every great tactician, and in doing so, lays bear his own new, strange self-knowledge. This is flawless characterisation, and your writing is very sharp. The irony is immense, not only in his dark approximation of humour, but in that he falls victim to his own game, in the end. WOnderful work; I hope to see much, much more.
Finch chapter 1 . 2/3/2004
Excellent piece of work. I love this non-angst-ridden Maedhros who has a firm grip on himself and the situation. It make sense to portray him as the player who moves his relatives like so many pieces; after all, he's the one who manages to survive until after the War of Wrath, with Maglor as his faithful shadow. And even then he decides his own fate.
Very well done; this goes directly to my favourites list!
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 2/2/2004
I think that I have to comment on this. I have never before seen such a different take on Maedhros-after-Thangorodrim. The dispassionate analysis - and the cynicism - are almost like defences, and you can glimpse the pain and effort that went into them.
His insights on the situation and his brothers are very interesting, too; making a very original take.