Reviews for Glorfindel Fair
zedille chapter 1 . 1/3
Poor Glorfindel, truly. Being a heroic figure out of legend sounds very well and good, until you end up with this sort of thing. (Though this makes me wonder, wouldn't Elrond, for one, have a whole body of songs about him? Or if not him, then what would he feel about the ones about Eärendil?) Your poem was quite impressive - reminiscent of Tolkien's style, but funnier to make your point - and all the more so when you consider little baby Estel so proudly reciting the whole thing! Glorfindel's interjections and comments (oh, how they progress...) really make the story. This was priceless!
kaotic312 chapter 1 . 11/29/2014
Fun! Very fun!
DragonOwl chapter 1 . 11/7/2013
Love it!
elsa3beth chapter 1 . 2/11/2013
very cute story, well crafted, and a great song!
Waltzin Atlanta chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
I'm seven years late in reviewing, but what the heck. I LOVE this story. I remember stumbling upon it years ago and loving it then as well; I've searched for it several times, but never managed to find it until now. I was so excited when I read the first few lines and thought, "yes! This is it!"

It's perfect: the story, the characterization, and the writing itself. The farther I read, the more I realized, "wow, this is actually a really good poem!" It's very reminiscent of Tolkien's writing, but it's really clever and reads so well. AND it gets all the facts . . . well, sort of.

The whole premise is just adorable to me. I love the thought of Little Estel being so proud of the song he's learned—a song about the famous Balrog slayer, no less!—and thinking that Glorfindel will be so pleased with it. And then Elrond not being familiar with it, but Glorfindel knowing straight off how the song goes and trying to dissuade him.

Also, this little bit was heartwarming: "Here Estel gave a great leap towards the fire, and came so close to singeing himself that Elrond rose half out of his chair." The thought of fatherly Elrond is adorable.

And finally, the ending. Poor Glorfindel—killing a Balrog is the stuff of legends, and then the whole truth comes out. His embarrassment is precious. The fact that Erestor set Estel on the song is priceless.

Anyway, sorry for blabbing on, but this is a wonderful story and you should have yet another person tell you. It's truly hilarious, but very understated and witty. Again, I absolutely love it—I'm so glad I found it again, after all of these years! Favorited so that I never lose it again!
Caelhir chapter 1 . 12/21/2010
Perfect and humorous! I loved it!
ArwenFairTinuviel chapter 1 . 6/15/2010
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! I love how it coincides with A Light In May. You replicate Tolkien's ballads incredibly well, but you also slip in little gems of humour without being overboard. Your style is wonderful - you characterise EVERYONE so well and so concisely and you make me laugh so many times! It is always an immense pleasure to read your works.
Expecting Rain chapter 1 . 10/11/2008
Hehehe. Oh poor Glorfindel. I loved your song, it was so over the top.
Levade chapter 1 . 9/1/2008
"He wore a crown of golden flowers

And fought atop the burning towers. "

"A crown of flowers?" muttered Glorfindel incredulously, "While fighting dragons? And those towers were made entirely of stone!"

It has to be said that the way bards memorialize tales can be a bit...overblown. ;) Poor Glorfindel, taken down by his hair. Always thought that was just the crowning injustice, and to have a song immortalizing it... Great fun and with just the right touch of humour.

Peace,

Levade
The Battling Bard chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
Funny!
DXRULES103 chapter 1 . 11/16/2007
This made me sad. But I loved the way you wrote it.
ohfuckthis chapter 1 . 3/4/2007
-applauds-
Flag chapter 1 . 1/8/2007
Haha:) That is by far one of the most amusing things on this site.

The ending was so perfect :)
Starbrat chapter 1 . 2/15/2006
I liked that!
Mandy chapter 1 . 12/16/2005
This was great! Did you write the poem yourself? It's wonderful.