Reviews for City Girls
redsatindoll chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
I can't improve upon what other commenters have already said (esp lylin). Buffy is my favorite character and I always enjoyed the Buffy/Dawn dynamic on the show. I loved the way you paint Buffy's life in Rome, and make it full and rich and interesting. She misses Spike, but she's not pining away in agony as some (ok a lot) of fanfics would have her do.

I love the mention of Buffy teaching martial arts and self-defense classes; I remember watching S6 this year and thinking she ought to become a personal trainer to alleviate her money woes, so that hit a Buffygirl sweetspot for me. (I found this through the link from your LJ btw.)
L chapter 1 . 7/12/2011
I really really loved this piece. You really captured Buffy's character here, particularly her love of freedom and her need to get as far away from Sunnydale - and anything that reminds her of her life there.

Great job!
BlueDove chapter 1 . 7/6/2010
This was a beautiful melancholy fic. The stillness makes it feel like it should be illustrated, like in a comic.
lyin chapter 1 . 3/7/2010
this is an absolutely exceptional fic, really, and a real pleasure to read ~ while Season 8's taken it in new directions, the last glimpse we see of Buffy on the show, in Rome, was very open to interpretation, and while the idea of her getting a chance to let loose and be young was awesome, the whole Immortal thing, enh. this story made me love the idea of Buffy-and-Dawn-in-Rome (and Andrew, too, actually, with Dawn's terrific comments on the subject). the dialogue is perfect for the characters, your depiction of the city practically lets it be a character, you even have a Villain-of-the-Week~ and a very creative, old-world, tragic-story-despite-big-evil one (the image of the Lamia looking like Kendra at the end was particularly striking). i especially loved her brief thought of Spike, while sitting in the sun and at the word 'heaven', and finding the portrait of Darla~ such a perfect 'ouch' moment, considering the reason she chose Rome, and I love the defiant moment of claiming-the-many-cities-of-Rome-as-hers anyway. thanks so much for the undoubtedly memorable read :D
Springrain chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
Good explanation for the question of why Buffy would choose Rome. Very poetic.
kribby chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
This story was truly wonderful! Thank you for sharing!
thalia chapter 1 . 2/27/2007
I liked this story a lot. You capture the atmosphere of Rome so well. Buffy and Dawn feel so real that I could see them clearly in my mind's eye.

I love the subtle shifts between comedy and tragedy, e.g. Buffy's experiences with vampires from France (snobbish) and Italy (flirtatious) are contrasted with her fight with the Lamia or Buffy's funny remark about Italian ice cream ends in her remembering Spike.

Also great idea to have Dawn writing her own chronicles (reminscent of her diary in season 5) or Buffy regaining her interest in art history.
ann1962 chapter 1 . 1/5/2007
Thank you for linking me to this. Excellent depiction of Buffy and Dawn both, and their likely actions in Rome. Darla also, because we know her effect is forever. Thank you.
grimorie chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
I love this, I love that Buffy finally finds a measure of peace and she finds it in Rome. I love how she catches the Lamia, it's bittersweet but whatever pity she felt for the Lamia didn't prevent her from doing her duty. Thank you.
Riana1 chapter 1 . 10/25/2006
Best Buffy in Rome story ever.
Sionnain chapter 1 . 8/6/2006
This was great! I love the atmosphere and the subtle little touches of detail you added-Darla and the painting!-and your voices were just perfect! Really enjoyed reading this!
Artemis1000 chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
This is a very beautiful story. I love your way of describing Buffy's life in Rome.
Erinya chapter 1 . 6/8/2005
One of the few fics I've read that made me like the "Buffy in Rome" idea...

Hm, adding you to my favorites. :-)
timeofchange chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
Karabair listed you as one of her favoirte fanfic authors in her LJ, and I followed the link to this story. I can see why you were tops on her list. It's a wonderful story and I look forward to reading more of your work.
LesserKnown chapter 1 . 9/28/2004
Beautiful and heartbreaking. You captured the Buffy/Dawn dynamic so well! Cheers!