Reviews for Refuge
Guest chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
I apologize for my harsh review yesterday, I should have expressed my opinion in a nicer way.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
Nice story, but Denethor is treating Faramir like an older child. I don't think a child as young as 4 would be able to not cry at his mother's funeral, he is too young to have the responsiblity to take care of things, and I know that around medieval times children did learn how to use the sword, but they were around I think 8 or 9 and not 4 or 5.
Darkover chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
Dear Lady Wenham: I think your portrayal of Denethor is spot on! He loved his sons, the elder more than the younger, but he loved them both. He just was not very good at showing it. He was a strong man, and capable of cruelty, unintentional or otherwise, but I do believe he wanted to be a good father to both of his sons. He also was not the world's most sensitive individual-although, arguably, Gondor would have suffered if he had been. And he tends to assume that children think as adults do. It also seems typical of him to be annoyed and/or disappointed because Faramir made a choice other than what he, Denethor, would have done-is that a presentiment, or what? In short, a brilliantly-written story. Thanks for writing and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
ohfuckthis chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
-jaw drops- not much else to say is there?

its...amazing
Rugi chapter 1 . 5/15/2006
Continueing my tour through the older Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor stories...

I also have a lot of sympathy for Denethor - I have read too many stories where is some sort of nasty, abusive lunatic.

You did a good job of showing him as a man who loves him family but is troubled as well. And you do a great job showing the interplay between the three - family relationships are always so complicated and you don't avoid that at all.
lilithschilde chapter 1 . 6/1/2005
So beautiful! I loved your stern yet caring Denethor, protective Boromir, and sensitive Faramir. Even the little hints at how things would eventually turn out were dead on. Thank you for such a wonderful little fic!
Telhyandowen chapter 1 . 7/14/2004
That was so sweet, very well written and it gave me a whole new perspective on Denethor's character. I'm usually not his biggest fan (at all) but that was really sweet. I love how you had Faramir ask for his mother's mantle for his birthday. I love that mantle. Very cool. Keep up the excellent writing!
Annie chapter 1 . 5/9/2004
Absolutely wrenching. Well done. Where ARE my tissues?
Rosie26 chapter 1 . 5/1/2004
Very enjoyable, and really touching.
Krissy chapter 1 . 3/29/2004
*sob* This was so touching! Denethor and Faramir are my favorite characters, and you've beautifully captured the Denethor I always knew was there. Your portrayal of little Faramir is so perfect, it's almost as if Tolkien himself had written this. Keep it up!
Krissy
missjov chapter 1 . 3/27/2004
Amazing! I wish I could write as well as you do! *pouts* And you made me cry too! Honestly, how did you do that, it's just...excellent. The portrayal of Young Faramir and Denethor and Boromir...so perfect! *sneaks off to read the rest of her stories*
Mercury Gray chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
then, precious, reviews you shall have.
i like boromir, and as a child, he's even cuter. and faramir...just adorable. both preciouses, of course
Nenriel chapter 1 . 2/18/2004
this wasa recomended to me by arwentheelf02, and she was right, it's such a good fic! you acheived the unreachable and i congratualte you for that. not only did you succede in getting my to read an LOTR fic (im more of an anime person myself) your dialouge actually sounded characteristic of the characters in the story. *insert applause here*
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 2/17/2004
Lovely little story. It definitely shows early problems in the relationship between Denethor and his younger son, while also showing Denethor struggling to overcome those problems, though he doesn't know how, or even that they're all there. You know that his tentative feelings of disappointment with Faramir are going to get so much worse; but for now we can see that Denethor really cared about the child. And the dichotomy between the two brothers is well done.
Osheen Nevoy chapter 1 . 2/14/2004
Really splendid! Thank you! An excellent job of portraying Denethor's conflicting thoughts, the combination of impatience, and grief for his wife, and struggling for patience with Faramir, and the reality that he does want to be a good father to Faramir, but perhaps isn't sure how. And a very good touch that he only realises there's a problem with Faramir through Boromir's concern. All very realistic and moving, and very intelligently written, without any of the unfortunately more standard one-dimensional abusive father interpretation. I think Denethor would approve of this story!