Reviews for Shire: Beginnings
Shipwright's Trick chapter 28 . 4/16/2010
What, is it over?

Well, even if it isn't, you leave us with a decent enough stopping point. : )
Shipwright's Trick chapter 22 . 4/16/2010
Poor hobbits, being burned and shot and wandering into bogs and living like animals and having lost their leaders and slowly starving...

But this will fix them up, at least partially. It's about time.
Shipwright's Trick chapter 18 . 4/16/2010
"'Now that's the cry of a hunting eagle.'"

*rolls eyes* Wizards. It's always esoterica with them. : )

Well, happy ending for Pick, of course. Seeing as he has to have descendants, that's good.
Shipwright's Trick chapter 17 . 4/16/2010
Thorn's final moments (and what followed after) were absolutely beautiful. Thank you for that.
Shipwright's Trick chapter 16 . 4/16/2010
Eagles, all right! This, at the very least, should be interesting. (Or at least I assume they are eagles...)

Poor Thorn. He was a favorite; the precursor of the Thain, I'm guessing...?
Shipwright's Trick chapter 7 . 4/15/2010
I like the coining of what eventually became Gandalf. How interesting, that every time a hobbit addresses him, he thinks back to those first hobbits under the trees of what became Mirkwood. Cool. : )
Gyreflight chapter 28 . 12/30/2009
I know this is complete on Stories Of Arda, but I’m afraid I’m not a member there, so I’m reviewing here.

Firstly – congratulations on this. It can be difficult to draw a fanfic reader into a time and place and people who are primarily unfamiliar, and this is after all a tale of hobbits and hobbit history, where the more familiar Elves and Istari are drawn with perceptive care and loving attention – but where they are also secondary characters. The most impressive thing about this is the fact that the great and the wise in all their majesty still don’t upstage the small children of earth. I *want* to follow the focus to the hobbits, and am immediately and completely engaged with them from the start.

There are so many small things I liked that I’m not sure I can remember them all - your ‘Lady’, and the recognition of her reflection in Arwen’s beauty, the frazzled Eagles and their views on food that speaks to them, the fact that even to elves, the way of a hobbit on the hunt is an impressive thing. There are some powerful images here too. I’ll not easily forget the sight of Glorfindel and Thorn, and the awful road they travelled. That is a kingdom of Men that is falling into shadow…and its eventual fate will not come unearned.

As someone with an interest in history myself, it is fascinating to see you wake the question of why it might be that a people who so greatly value family and ancestry have so scant an apparent history of their own – and to consider the paradox that perhaps the question may need to be inverted. Perhaps the importance of family and history is born of the fact that more than any other, a reduced, remnant, refugee folk might have cause to understand how much knowledge resides in individuals, how important it can be…and how easily it can be irretrievably lost.

Thanks for the read – it was a pleasure.

Hildegard the Short chapter 25 . 2/9/2005
I just caught up with the story!

Yes, I do fibre-arts, and I even have a spinning wheel! I am probably the only person on my campus with a spinning wheel in her dorm (and at one point I had two!). Alas, I do not have a loom, but I also knit profusely.

Keep up the lovely story!

Clever Hobbit chapter 25 . 8/20/2004
The silver scarf! Oh, I just love the details you put into this.
Hildegard the Short chapter 23 . 8/4/2004
Yay! You put some weaving and such in! I am now content. Even though, you didn't have anyone spinning the fibres. Eh...

Hildegard the Short
Catta-mese chapter 14 . 8/3/2004
Oh, yay! I read all of the existing chapters of this in one sitting...and then forgot the name and author (oops). I searched through the entirety of the LOTR archives using likely words. Didn't find it. And at last! I have found it! So happy. And I haven't even started reading the new chapters yet. So this should be some indication that I like what has come before.

'Tis fantastic. I love anything about hobbits. I fall into ecstasies when I find a bare paragraph in Tolkien's Letters about hobbits. This is a feast for my hobbit-centric soul. Thank you!
frodofreak88 chapter 22 . 7/28/2004
**sobs** Oh my god! How could men be so cruel! Please update!
Clever Hobbit chapter 18 . 5/22/2004
Radagast! I love how all of these characters are worked into your stories like this.
AngryTolkienPurist chapter 17 . 5/18/2004
Wow... I love the reference to the LOTR :) And I love the
You have gold, and Diamonds,’ his wife said, adding her embrace, ‘...and a Ruby, and an Emerald, and a Sapphire...’
‘I am rich indeed,’ came the answer. ‘Let’s have another song!’
part :) man... keep on writing.
Clever Hobbit chapter 17 . 5/16/2004
I loved how you worked Namo into this, and how the Valar are watching over the race of hobbits. That vision of the future was wonderful!
I'm upset to see Thorn go- I really did like him.