Reviews for An Evening Together
Rian Steelsheen chapter 1 . 4/13/2010
This was just wonderful, really! Thank you for writting it!

Denethor has always been one of my favorite characters, i've thought he was great since the first time i read the book. I've been very disapointed to see that everyone (and PJackson above them all) thought him an old disgusting cruel horrible madman. Sometimes in fanfiction he is even portrayed as physically abusive of his children!

Well, all this to tell what a relief it is to read a story where he is so realistically portayed.

The paragraph where he thought of how Faramir wasn't "biddable" and how they didn't have the same political opinions is the best one (IMHO). It is EXACTLY what i think drove them apart, the explanation that came to me when i was reading the appendices and Faramir and Denethor's confrontation in the book, it is too nice too see that i'm not alone. They truely loved each other, but disagreed on many matters, and for ones so prideful such as them, and since their opinions and decisions are so important for all of Gondor, it must have driven their relationship into sthg dificult.

I also liked the fact that Faramir wants to fight for Gondor. In so many stories he spend his time complaining that his father has made him go to war even if he doesn't like it, poor Faramir, bad Denethor. Well it was normal to send all able men to combat despite their wish in times of war at this period, wasn't it? And the steward'sons would have to show the exemple, as you said: "how could the Steward order others to fight and keep back his own son".

I liked your Faramir, Denethor haunted by the memory of his dead wife, Boromir's advices, the gift, and other things...

About the palantir however, i think i've read somewhere that since the steward of Gondor have all of the powers of the king in his absence, Denethor had the right to use it. But i'm not sure, i have to check...

I think you have a good writting style, it all flows very easily. It's very enjoyable.

Well now i have to go and see if you have written any other faramir story.

sory if i've made mistakes, i'm french not english.
Angoliel chapter 1 . 12/19/2004
Very well written!

I admire your skill, friend. It is rare in this place. I like the touches you added to Denethor and his sons. Very realistic.

Good work. Keep it up!
Altariel chapter 1 . 10/29/2004
Lovely, gentle piece.
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 4/22/2004
love this. i love how u portray Denethor, as loving, which is a word almost NEVER used on him. and i love Faramir's delight 2 the book and u make Denethor seem so human, like a real father, 2 both of his sons, the way he cares, and worries 4 both of his sons, especially Faramir.
Ilium chapter 1 . 4/18/2004
Koretta: *criez* Again with the emotional weight. I should probably stop reading these fics before I have a breakdown. I'm too caught up by the bitter-sweet flavours to taste the honey when it's offered.
Flopsy/Bif: Mew? *pounces on Retta's head*
Koretta: I've also managed to scare my cat away with overly vigorous patting and am now forced to rely on a stuffed kitten with multiple personality disorder for much needed creature comfort. *sighz*
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 3/9/2004
I enjoyed this story. The relationship between Denethor and Faramir is a fascinating one, and the more positive side is treated too rarely. I also really liked the idea that Denethor might have thought only of Faramir's similarities to Finduilas, and been suprised to realize that he was also like Denethor himself. I hope you'll write more about this family! (I read your other story too-interesting that you chose movie canon for that one and book for this one.)
-Rose
Catherine Maria chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
A wonderful story. The contrast of Faramir and Denethor as two people who are different, and yet, in some ways, very alike - perhaps even too alike - is an interesting insight into how that part of their relationship might have later brought about such a deep division. As a fan of Faramir it is always nice to imagine that he had at least a few good times with his father. Excellent way to also foreshadow Denethor's eventual use of the palantir. Well done. I hope you will write more.
Lady Berenice chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
Lovely! You've set out the family dynamics of 'Middle Earth's most dysfunctional family' so very well, and portrayed them so perfectly. I love how it is Boromir who can see that Faramir and Denethor are so alike, when neither of them can see, and how much Denethor cares for and worries over Faramir, realising that the younger boy is not a creature who enjoys fighting and warfare.
darkavery chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
awesome story. one of the best interpretations of the relationship between Faramir and Denethor. keep up the good work.
French Pony chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
I enjoyed this quite a bit. You really got the feel of the two boys down well - Faramir is just twelve, too big to be a kid and too small to be an adult, and it'll get worse before it gets better. And Boromir, though he is only in the story at second hand, is nicely drawn as well. The beginning of his habit of always blowing the horn when he leaves is a nice touch, as is Faramir's somewhat peevish question "what do I get?"
Denethor comes off as rather laid-back, which works well to bring out the insightfulness that Tolkien ascribes to him It is very clear that he understands that his two children are different personalities and that he must relate to them differently, even as they relate to each other.
Skipper Noodles chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
I can't believe no one's reviewed this yet. It's really good! So there's only going to be this chapter? Cause I'd like to know what happened later ... how Faramir fell out of favor with his father, and things like that (wow, that's a lot of alliteration)
So good-bye, and please write more!
Angel chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
How lovely! I love it...Please write more.
Raksha chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
Excellent vignette of a type not often seen - Denethor bonding with his younger son and NOT scorning or abusing him. Here, in the quiet evening shared by Denethor and young Faramir; we can see the seeds of future tragedy, in the growing shadow of Mordor, Denethor's puzzled recognition that Faramir is less "biddable" than Boromir and has a predilection for peaceful pursuits as well as a keen and subtle mind. It's sad, because you show here that at this point, Denethor truly loved the younger son he will one day hurt and try to kill.