Reviews for The Crimson Shadow
Tough Fluff chapter 2 . 4/2/2004
I have to admit that I didn't even realize the /existence/ of a greek mythology section. I stumbled upon this gem at the D/Hr fic gift exchange and I'm IN LOVE with this. The way you instilled personality to the gods. It makes them immensely endearing. The rebellious yet contradicting teenage spirit of Persephone, the dark brooding Hades and the Zeus plagued with girl troubles. They all fit so well.
This is a darastically different tone than the traditional "Rape of Persephone" that is so common in literature and art. And I found this to be much more agreeable than the traditional interpretation.
"Zeus had just had a row with Hera over some like mortal tart named Danäe, and now the idiot chit was pregnant" I remember having to write a play on the various chapters of Metamorphoses for school and god I wish I came up with that line. That's what I mean, you showed so much character and humanity in the gods. I just absolutely love this story.
I'm not sure if you're continuing with this story, though I'd certainly like to see more. Demeter's reaction, your intrepretation of the pomegrante or just a bunch of things that happens after this. But if this is it, I'll gladly accept this and I pile on heaps and heaps of kudos to you.
Jaowitz the third chapter 1 . 3/27/2004
This was superb! I like the way you kept Hades in character - think that's how he would act.
Koibito chapter 2 . 3/27/2004
I love how the characters are developing! Please Update soon! -
Arleen chapter 2 . 3/23/2004
Ooh, best story I've read in quite a while! Normally I hate romance stories, but this is really good, plus it's based on a myth I really like.
And I especially liked the little details, especially the ones that seem a bit out of place at first sight. Like Hades being barefoot. I'd never picture him barefoot, and at first I just thought, "this is weird", but after a while I saw that it fits perfectly. Or I just got used to the idea. *shrugs*
And I liked the other small things as well, like the bird in the first chapter. I like how you didn't point out the parallel, even though I'm not sure if you meant it as a parallel (I think you did, though. To much of a coincedence :D).
I think you've done a wonderful job of writing Hades. And you wrote him almost exactly as I pictured him! I'm not sure if you know (but you sound like you know a lot about myths), but I heard that the name "Hades" might mean "unseen one" in Greek or some other language, and that "title" fits in with the way you portrayed him really well, too. I mean the isolation, almost never coming to Earth, not showing many emotions, that sort of thing.
The first chapter was completely and utterly awesome. I didn't like the second chapter as much, but it was still great.
Continue!
Bookworm chapter 2 . 3/21/2004
I think this is a wonderful story. I always lived retelling of this myth. Update soon!
Serenyty chapter 2 . 3/21/2004
I love this, please continue.
zephiey chapter 2 . 3/20/2004
I am enjoying this immensely. This is my favorite pairing in Greek mythology. Please continue.
Tina
lady of scarlet darkness chapter 2 . 3/20/2004
oh what another wonderful chapter!...I was really hoping that this wasnt just a one-shot!...This is really a wonderful and unique story..I love how you make Hades an actual character with many dimensions instead of the one-sided ruler of the underworld like in many mythology!...I really cannot wait for the next chapter!..I love the interaction between Persephone and Hades...GREAT JOB
LOTR-nutcase chapter 2 . 3/19/2004
Excellent chapter! Very very good, I loved it all! Please update soon :)
zagato chapter 1 . 3/7/2004
Great story. Please write more.
LOTR-nutcase chapter 1 . 3/7/2004
I always liked this myth, and I'm really enjoying your take on it! good job :)
BearBear chapter 1 . 3/1/2004
Hope to read more of it soon.
Selene chapter 1 . 2/27/2004
I love this fic! I've been looking for a twist on the internet about one of my favorite myths for a while now. Please continue updating!
CallOfBooty chapter 1 . 2/27/2004
very good!
Nirejseki chapter 1 . 2/25/2004
*whistles* What a story. *What* a story! Normally, I don't review stories (yes, bad me, I know). I really liked your story, and when I noticed you didn't have half as many reviews as you deserved, I decided to do my part to fix the problem.
I like your style of writing...it has a very archaic, whilst not being completely indechiperable. I did that once when writing Shakesphere-style stories. Of course, you do occascionally slip into modernisms: I don't think Persephone would say 'Yeah, right'. It sort of breaks the mood. Besides that, however, it's very fitting.
Enough of that, onto the fun stuff. I absolutely *adored* your premise here! Even in most of the stories sympathetic to Hades, they still have him abducting her, or at least getting her to the Underworld in a far different way than 'come up, take girl, go down'. This is the first time I've seen a portrayl of the myth that keeps true to the basic plot I mentioned, especially the spontaniety of the action, but is still completely original in that it has Persephone wanting to go with Hades. Also, I like your characterization; after a while, you can tell who the characters are without needing a lot of description. I liked the little details you included, too: Hades' bare feet, for example.
Some parts of the story seemed a bit disconnected: for most of it Hades was completely serious, then he cracks a joke in the middle and then returns to being serious. Also, he seems very in control of himself for most of the fic, then suddenly blurts something out. Perhaps there should be more of an emotional build-up before it? Make Hades build up to blurting something that he didn't mean to ever tell her by gradually having him show more emotion. *shrug* Then again, it's your story. Your wonderful story.
You can tell that you really know your mythology, too...the comment about the dead drinking blood (Oddessy, I presume?), and things like that.
Well, not to babble on and on about your story (I fear I already have, but oh, well), I'll just summarize: I LOVE YOUR STORY! Write more. Will you be posting what happens after this, with Demeter? Please do!
Rider