Reviews for Glir Glorfindel
Badgerlock chapter 1 . 5/8/2004
Ah, very good. Im glad there are writers who will pursue the subject of Glorfindel in their Rings fiction. He is such an intriguing character. I have only found a few decent and serious Glorfindel-stories thus far: Marnies 'Mantle', vorondis 'Mortal Shores' and some of Zims... Severely over-looked he is, I would say, now that Ive begun to really pay attention.
This is rather nice poem. It seems jarring at times, stating everything so straight forwardly and yet it has a kind of bounding rhythm that does sweep you along. I for one couldnt stop when I began it. But perhaps one of my owm problems with this is that I rather dislike when one sentence is split into two lines. I think it always disturbs the flow badly. The quotes that were lifted from the book, I think, were placed quite nicely and gave a good freshness to it and a good thing they werent _too_ plentyfull.
If you were meaning to state the events in which the chatarter played a significant role in the story, though, you could have mentioned him in the Council-scene; he was a respected advisor to Elrond, and the meeting was an important one. He spoke quite a lot there. But then, again you remembered so faithfully his meeting with the Witch-King and the words he spoke; I have not seen many who mention that. And I must congratulate you for combining to two events, the Ford and the Angmar; I admit I had never thought of it from that perspective, that the two charactes would meet _again_ at the Ford. Indeed, very nicely put.
Mentioning the Balrog and his Rehousing came as a kind of surprice in the end. I had not expected you to mention it, even if the questionable, but legendary past he has makes such a fabulous subject for fan fiction. The none save one is not exactly accurate, though. I believe Finrod was also mentioned to have been early released from Mandos, and there seems to be a belief floating around that others certainly recieved a similar grace also. But he definitely was the only Rehoused one in Middle-Earth, thats true I think. The 'Small they may view' was just a tiny bit annoying. Though true, it brought a bit of a modern-reader view into the ballad, rather similar
to a reference like 'Arwen took his place'. It felt just slightly off.

Perhaps the poem would gain more forceful a feeling if you would repeat some of the sentences at times. For example the beginning phrase is rather striking. Now the general feel really a rather hasty one and I believe it had too much to so with how it is written so all packed up tightly. Layout is always such a big influence to any poem and I believe even some simple paragraphs could make this one a lot clearer to read as well as the pauses would help to better visualize the words in to an independent moods between the pictures.
But there are many nice imeges in the poem and inventive twists of words. It could be better, but I still enjoyed it. Thank you for writing.
LasseLanta01 chapter 1 . 2/25/2004
A breath of fresh air at last. Thank you for a lovely tribute to my favorite elf. And thank you for bringing a wonderful piece of writing amid all the flotsom. I admire people who can write poety as it has never been my strong suite, I found the blending of the elvish phrases very natural and flowing, the whole piece very perceptive. Excellent job.
Ertia chapter 1 . 2/24/2004
All hail, Glorfindel!
Thank you, thank you for paying tribute to the fair warrior.
Jade7777 chapter 1 . 2/24/2004
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are a book person! I LOVE book people! Thank you so much for acknowledging poor Glorifindel, who got zero recognition in the movies!
account chapter 1 . 2/24/2004
Great.
Silmarilgrl chapter 1 . 2/24/2004
I loved your poem! It was neat how you incorporated the elvish phrases into it. I love finding people who have also read the Silmarillion & the appendices, not just the books.