Reviews for Gil Gwanun — Star Twins
tara chapter 10 . 3/26/2004
i just finished reading your story and i was so impressed. I've never read what became of the star twins when they were younger. It was so good and a bit sad. Are you going to write anymore on the star twins?
Doegred chapter 6 . 2/26/2004
Ouch, Himring.
(Maglor, Elros, Maedhros, some others : Himring !
Elrond : It's only a model.
Maedhros : Shh! Peredhil, I bid you welcome to your new home.
Orcs are eating, drinking, singing stupid songs all around the citadel.
Maedhros : Well, on second thought, let's not go to Himring. It is a silly place.)
(So, what I would've said, if the Holy Grail hadn't been there, is that no one but Orcs dwelled in Himring by the time of the Third Kinslaying, since the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, in fact. The Feanorians were rather living, as long as they could, in Ossiriand, on Amon Ereb.)
Apart from that, tis good. So far, I like it.
(Nice to see Maedhros not trying to chop the Peredhil's heads off. I appreciate that.)
filigod chapter 1 . 2/25/2004
Thank you, everyone! I realize there may be a problem here, in retrospect. Elrond said he remembered the banners of the Host of the West- whoops! It's so hard to keep it all in one's head. (Although he obviously saw them here, too, but I believe in the Council of Elrond he was implying he'd witnessed the battle. A little confusing, since Maglor supposedly named them as infants. Huzzah for discontinuity). And speaking of the details, Isiswhit, I am especially pleased when someone with your amount of knowledge reads/reviews one of my scribblings! By _Gwanun Gil_ I was trying to write, literally, "Twins of a Star" but I think should have inverted it as in Gil-galad. _Uin_ would indeed make more sense to give the idea of "from the", else it sounds like they and the star are twins, which is the wrong relationship! (Apologies for lack of accents; I don't trust ffnet not to mangle them). Regarding _gwanun_, I was going by the "Quendi and Eldar" chapter of _War of the Jewels_. Under entry *WO, Sindarin, we have: "_gwanun_, 'a pair of twins', _gwanunig_, one of such a pair." In other words, it looks like _gwanun_ is not plural, not singular, but dual. _Gwanur_ is the problematic one; it's "brother" in ETYMOLOGIES but "pair of brothers" in LOTR appendix A, which I just now noticed. I should've read Dragonflame's entry more carefully.
isis whit chapter 10 . 2/25/2004
This story is very well written. Mostly, I admire how close you come to the language of the Silmarillion, with only a few slips here and there. Also, your interpretation of the tale of Elros and Elrond, only mentioned in passing-by in the stories of Tolkien, is very interesting, and I also think true to Tolkien. There were a few inconsitencies regarding the position of the peredhil, but I think that may have been intended to a degree.
I have one nitpick regarding the title of your fic: 'Gwanun' is singular, meaning one of a pair of twins. The plural is 'Gwenyn'. 'Gwenyn uin elin' would mean Twins of the Stars.
But as a whole, it's easily the best fic that I've seen around in a long while.
Bejai chapter 10 . 2/24/2004
Oh, great story. Enjoyed it very much. I'm always fond of stories that explain the early life of Elrond and Elros. Well done.
Stefanie Dale chapter 10 . 2/24/2004
This was really good! Your writing style is VERY similar to that of "The Silmarillion" itself. It's an interesting view, seeing what was going on with Elrond and Elros, since the book didn't tell us. Wow, this was almost like reading a chapter from the book. I like how you portrayed the differences growing between the twins, with Elros becoming more like the people of his father and Elrond choosing to remain with the Eldar. The characterizations were very well done, and you're very descriptive, without going overboard. I really, really liked this.