Reviews for Heart Fades to Black
therainydaykids chapter 10 . 8/5/2013
God I know it's been years since you've posted this and you may not even get my review but this is and will always be the best Harvest Moon fanfiction in the archive - in my opinion. So tragic, so bittersweet and so well written - you really shone a raw light on Jack and Karen. I am always a fan of the 'darker tales' and yours was flawless in my opinion. Honestly, I've reread this billions of time but the ending never fails to wrench at my heart strings.
I hope wherever you are in the world you haven't stopped writing!
Camilla Richard chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
Dear pvc,

Wow! I don't know where to begin. Let me start by saying I have read Heart Fades to Black more times than I can count. I cna practically quote lines out of it. I found your story three years ago when I was going through something of a rough time. This inspireed me more than most published authors inspire me. It is unbelivably beautiful. I really felt for your characters, especially Mary. All I have to say is, you've got talent, my friend and you helped me without even knowing it. Thank You.
CastInMoonlight chapter 10 . 7/26/2008
pvc,

This story was incredibly well-written. The voice you used to write it is very smooth, and I enjoyed reading it very much. One of my favorites on this site!

I hope you continue to write!

/ CIM
Atavaka chapter 1 . 3/7/2007
This is just... perfect. I mean, it can't really be perfect as there's no such thing as a perfect story, but this one comes so very close in my mind.

I don't cry, but, ending this story, I feel pretty close to tears. It was so bittersweet and horrible in some ways, but perfect and touching in others that I can't imagine a better balance right now. And you have me wishing Jack's fate was different, that he wasn't the callous monster he became. He's just a character, a bag of bones! You're not supposed to feel that way about characters! But I do, nonetheless. I wish he and Karen could have recovered from this grand tragedy, and made a life together.

Labeling this as just another fanfic is denying this story quite a bit of justice. If this doesn't qualify you as a brilliant novelist, then there is no hope for the rest of us.
Atavaka chapter 3 . 3/6/2007
You write with the best of them, pvc. This is a very powerful story, perhaps even better than your upbeat epic, Haven. I will say that having read Haven increases the impact that this has on you, and the sense of tragedy is eminent from the start. I also like how selfish Jack seems in this story. It seems fitting, seeing as his decisions are about to hurt everyone else in the village.

Each character is really well written, which makes what could be a ridiculously dark tale into something a little more believable. There are plenty of quasi-happy moments thus far, and for me, that makes the story so much more interesting. Jack isn't just a vehicle to show how crappy life can be; instead, he really is a character in a story.

Despite the fact that I know things will turn out badly, I want to read more. Well dons thus far!
DiscoLemonaid chapter 10 . 11/9/2006
That was amazing. When Mary died in the previous chapters, i cried, honest to god, at that dream he had of her. That was beautiful. I admire your writing, even if there were a couple gramar errors, but why would I care. It's the meaning behind it, i love your story, very beautiful.

-barbara
NightimeRoseOX chapter 10 . 9/7/2006
I must be on some weird reading frenzy.. thing today lol. I finished reading Haven from a Storm and read ALL of Heart Fades to Black today! It was just so intriguing I couldn't help myself! I'm glad that it ended on a.. somewhat... sort of happy ending... in a small way.. At least Jack and Karen were still okay with each other. It really was a depressing piece of work to read though, I can't believe that whole thing with Mary... I never imagined her being someone to do something like that. That kiss in the church... just woah... no... WOW... Usually after you read a book or see a movie you either feel happy or sad.. or angry for not ending the movie or book the way you wanted it or... but with this it's just... well... that's life. Lol I noticed some Red Sonicness in your writing towards the end when there was basically two Jack's talking to himself. I laughed when you admitted at the end of one of the chapters you kind of got that from him. It's okay though, I liked it. _ I actually found your stories through reading his you know :) You are both great writers. Now if only there was someway to magically make you both be quicker at updating.. hehe, just kidding you can take your time but update a haven from the storm... soon! and if Red Sonic somehow magically reads this review update The Valentine Conspiracy! It's been over a year! I send sad faces to both of you...

Anyway I really enjoyed reading this :) I'm very glad I read A Haven from the Storm first or else I don't think I would've known enough background for the way this started but that's just me. I like how you kind of just took a point in the other story had something different happen and made a completetly different story because of it.. Just goes to show you... I guess every little decision we make could really change how life will be for us.. Thanks for writing a beautifully written story for everyone to read _

I'm kind of sad this alternate version of A Haven from the Storm is over...
Awesome Rapidash chapter 10 . 7/27/2006
That was an awesome story! I ended up reading it several time through and always found some little twist I missed the time before. Your style of writing is quite discriptive and I could easily imagine the characters as you portraied them. The letters at the end were a good way to bring this very dark story to a close.
Rina Cat chapter 10 . 7/19/2006
Okay, I was really curious about this story so I read it after I read the summary on it. I must say this was something completely different. The writing of course, no different than the other one and I mean it in good way. The writings were great.

Maybe drama is not my cup of tea but I think you've potrayed the characters really well even in their darkest hour.
Princess of the Midnight Moon chapter 4 . 7/10/2006
This story is wonderful, even if it was continued from another person's story. It isn't as if any story on this site is 100% original! I love it!
Jersey S chapter 10 . 6/15/2006
I was reading this for the past few days on the homepage... and... whoa. I mean... I'm floored. Chapter 7 really hit me hard. Everything about it, the atmosphere in the church, Karen and Jack's final goodbyes to Mary, and the foreshadowing of Jack's fate in the village (between his narrative and Anna and Basil's wishes for him not to attend the funeral), really got me. Hell, the church scene got me almost crying, and I don't cry very often.

Then the dream... Mary's right. She was finally free from everything to come. On one hand, I'm glad she technically got the worst of it, but on the other hand it's sad that (borrowing from Green Day) that the "innocent can never last". I think it's true in this case. Sure, her feelings were a catalyst in this whole mess initially. But after a while, all she wanted was to get out from under the stigma, and she still suffered in the end. Though... there's the duality again. It's hard to place one's finger on. It's gonna have me thinking, that's for sure.

Then Chapter 8 and 9... whoa... that really had me going. Seeing Jack with nothing to lose really had me bowled over. Then him kicking the stuffing out of Gray... right there I think had to be his lowest moment. Or maybe it was getting back at Karen by doing Manna. No... maybe *that* was his lowest moment. Though I would've thought Manna would turn her anger on Jack after Duke gave it to her, but then again, I guess that just exemplifies her character right there.

Antagonist! Jack in this one at times had me scared. But in the end, it left him terribly lonely. I'm glad to see that he let the kinder side of himself out to wrap things up with Karen. I guess Karen couldn't stand the Mineral Village life without him, so I'm figuring between that and talks of marriage, she left pretty quick. And Cliff... I love the twist of you putting him in at the end, just drifting from town to town. I thought the letters at the end added a nice touch to the story. For a while, you're thinking Jack's gonna make well, but I guess he really took Greg's advice on women there.

Dude, and the references to Farmer Jen's fic... I was planning on little references to other fics here and there myself, but I guess you beat me to it. :D

All in all, this story's amazing. I love it, seriously. It's an inspiration to write even more, I say. I'm gonna be reading this again and again for a long, long time. Awesome, awesome job!

But... Teenage Lobotomy's just a stupid song? Now, that's the way to make this rocker none too happy. :p [/kidding]
bob amanda chapter 1 . 2/15/2006
make it longer
Jersey S chapter 3 . 11/14/2005
Whoo! I'm gonna re-read/review this while taking breaks during my guitar challenge this week. )

I've come to appreciate this story nowadays. I think the work you put behind making this stand as the darker side of Haven really shows, and I like it a lot. I especially enjoy the characterization put behind Lillia's family. You do really well with expanding upon canon that it all sounds like part of the game. An angsty (in a very good way), juicy part.

I love how Jack bothered Kai about Popuri like that during their meeting. All the interaction between characters is really well done. Hell, I could learn from it.

Well, I've gotta get back to practicing now.
Zinovia chapter 10 . 4/12/2005
ah, that was a good ending. poor Josephine. kids are the ones who really get the raw deal in situations like that. nice to see Karen managed to make some sort of life for herself even if her kids did end up in jail. reality sucks, eh? awesome job! I enjoyed it a lot!

oh, and what is it I always say with awesome stories/movies of this nature?

"that was incredible!...I'm never reading/seeing it again!"
Zinovia chapter 9 . 4/12/2005
wow! now that was the definition of bittersweet...a little heavier on the bitter. it's a shame that Karen had to be left behind, but it's one of those "too little too late" deals that can't be helped. Besides, Jack wasn't really ready to marry her. his reaction was natural and a blessing, because it saved him and Karen a lot of misery in the end. there really was nothing left for him there...