Reviews for Chronicles of Ithilien
tommyginger chapter 4 . 5/31/2013
Amazing! And not just your story ( which is fantastic)...but the fact that you have not abandoned your story and your readers after all this time. Thank you so much...I know I am not alone in waiting for more!
IHeartSam chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
A highly promising start to what looks to be a good yarn! Really like the tone you have managed to create and the fact that you manage to show that the healing of our heroes might be slower in coming that depicted by other more 'happily ever after' type stories. I find it lends the story more depth and realism. I eagerly read on! - Aliyssa
lindahoyland chapter 4 . 1/24/2013
I enjoyed this very much, though I think it would have worked better in several sections as it was quite hard to keep my place.

Tolkien says Duilin of Morothond was killed during the Ring war.

I liked your characterisations of all the main characters and your plot is intruiging. I look forward to more.
Rainbow chapter 3 . 9/9/2009
Wow! Amazing story! Please continue! I'd love to read more.
Celebne chapter 3 . 5/8/2007
I like this story very much. A well mixture of Book! and Movie!Faramir. I love the idea of the Ithilrochonath. I would like to use the Ithilrochonath in a Faramir story of mine, may I?

Will you continue this story?
Raksha The Demon chapter 3 . 1/28/2005
Another great chapter - you're building up an intricately textured epic here. I loved Faramir's determination to go to Beregond's aid...

I don't see why Eowyn was so annoyed - it didn't sound like Faramir was speaking to a vassal, it sounded like he was speaking to his wife.
Lackwit chapter 3 . 1/27/2005
Lovely stuff. Great voice and the story is compelling.

looking forward to a little more on why Éowyn is peeved as I don't entirely understand her motivation.

Good work.
Nonce chapter 3 . 1/27/2005
Just found this tale - great writing & your characters seem true.
Good Queen Vold chapter 2 . 9/16/2004
Oh, I love this story! Please update soon!
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 9/7/2004
Oh, this is good! I read it through chapter 4 over at HASA. I want more!

Love the details about the White Company, their raiment and organization.

Of course Faramir would be able to use the Palantir. It wouldn't be pleasant for him, though.

Loose ends in Mordor? There are lots! I have a hankering to see Faramir fight spiders. Big spiders. Do we know if Shelob is dead, or nursing her wounds? And surely she spawned a few dozen smaller horrors at least...Of course there would be orcs, Uruk-hai, trolls, etc. Perhaps some bandits too...
athelas63 chapter 2 . 9/7/2004
Well! I'm certainly glad I added you to my update list! (You reviewed something of mine months ago -btw - thanks!) Anyway, EXCELLENT. You write very "Toklien-y", very nice! And I'm anxious to see what happens in Morder. Oh, and a LOVELY, BRAVE, TOUGH Faramir - Hurray! (I get tired of the abused, depressed ones in fanfic!) Waiting for chapter 3!
aquitania chapter 1 . 3/8/2004
I like this story much more than many about Faramir (Faramir and Eowyn being my favourites in LoTR). Yet, I have some remarks:
Firstly, there are many words inconsistent with the speach I would expect from gondorian Faramir (crux, pretty idea, demon of nerve, bled periodically). I would use some more old fashioned words.
Secondly, what is the face of a well-loved leader of men ?
Thirdly, when Faramir thinks about mearas, one could perceive, that he rode one (he had come to find that no horse bred in the white city could compare to one of the Mearas). As far as I know, they are ridden only by Rohans king and his sons under condition of the consent of the respective mearh (only exception Gandalfs shadowfax, but Gandalf is a maiar !). I think even Rohans horses of lesser genealogy are far higher bred horses than those of gondorian breeding.
Forthly, the betrothal of Eowyn and Faramir after the funeral was in my eyes just to avoid dark days ('for the funeral of my uncle brought dark days to Rohan and saddened me greatly when I am certain he would not have had it be so', this does not compare well with LoTR: '...and Theoden was left at last alone in his barrow, then folk gathered to the Golden hall for the great feast and put away sorrow ...'). And had Eowyn then not too much to do reordering life of the Rohirrim to dwell in dark thoughts ?
I admired your use of Beregond, Bergil, Damrod and Mablung, the new raiment of the white company and its banner, and further the enlistment of the Rohirrim to the white company.

As to the Palantir. I was ever very curious what would become of Denethors Palantir, as Aragorn has the one of Saruman. I like the idea of Faramir reconquering his Fathers Palantir. I do not like his words 'Never will I look into the Anor Stone again and I pray you do not ask me to.' That seems too meek a Faramir to me. He never shirks a duty. Thus I hope he will use the Palantir further to look into the east.
I was somewhat irritated on Arwens use to guide Faramir to the Palantir. Why is she in Rath Dinen ? Why could not Faramir decide for himself to look into the Palantir, when he is already thinking about it night after night ?
And Faramir driven to the edge by the Palantir in full view of all the city was for me overdramatic and reminded me strongly on the movie, where Denethor leaps burning from the edge. So why could Faramir not struggle in Ecthelions tower ? All the people trying to call him back and only Eowyn succeeding, hmm ... It is a nice idea, but for me this is not LoTR-Faramir, this might be movie-Faramir, blond and human. For me a master of lore would first study all information about Palantiri in the library vaults and then try it alone for himself. I could more believe that Eowyn finds him then, maybe nearly mad. And then he has to be brought to the House of Healing and Aragorn has to help. But induced by Arwen ? I think, LoTR-Faramir would not have reacted so meekly like here (“You would have me look into the Seeing Stone,
Imhiriel chapter 1 . 3/5/2004
I like this story and am really looking forward to further installments. I like your descriptions of the gate, the banners, the clothes etc. and particularly the descriptions of the changes already been made in the new age. The dialogues are refreshing.
The palantír-scene between Arwen and Faramir strongly reminded me of Frodo and Galadriel at her mirror with its dangerous quality and somewhat uncanny, quiet presence.
One of my favourite passages:
"The Steward did as instructed, turning to face his lord. However, he found instead the crownless face of a Ranger from the north, Aragorn, son of Arathorn."
And, later on, what Faramir saw in the palantír. It was so sad, that the love for him that Denethor could not acknowledge to him when in health and conscious, and the exact words that he spoke, would be revealed to Faramir. That Gandalfs words be proven true, but too late to change the relationship, and maybe too late for Faramir to be able to think back upon it all without anguish.
However, some comments:
-The text is a bit difficult to read. May I suggest that you split paragraphs more often with a blank line?
-There are some minor spelling mistakes (I remember e.g. "reigns" instead of "reins")
-I take objection to the fact that Faramir is not the tallest !
-I do think Faramir was tested by the One Ring in Henneth Annun.
-Do you plan to tell how the palantír was brought from the destroyed House of the Stewards to its old resting place in the Tower of Ecthelion?
Am very curious how it all will develop.
Carol chapter 1 . 3/4/2004
I really enjoyed reading this. It was compelling, and I look forward to finding out what stirs in the East.
KittyPhat chapter 1 . 3/1/2004
Hi, I really enjoyed reading your story. I thought you wrote all the character's well. I love how you have added Beregond and Bergil, I especially loved the part where they were speaking to, and drinking with the Rohirrim. I'm looking forward to the next chapter and the arrival of Elboron!