Reviews for That Which Remains
Equilly chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
Oh gosh, talk about heart-breaking. I liked how you talked a little bit about Elladan and Elrohir, because I think their grief is one that is rarely discussed, and I liked how Gimli tried to offer back what he had left of Galadriel to Celeborn (who is, by the way, one of the best. Tolkien. Characters. Ever). I never really thought about the effect Elrond's departure would have on Aragorn who was, after all, his son.

Beautifully written, and such a pleasure to read.
Sphinx chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
I havent read this in a while...years, really. I still, and always, always, will love it. I've been in an LOTR time-warp over the last week or so, and it is a very, very heady feeling - to go back and re-watch and re-read all the stuff. Thank you. :D
hell-whim chapter 1 . 6/1/2004
Beautiful. Damned beautiful (as I misspell that word for the second time). Maybe it's my mood, maybe it's my day, but for some reason, I was truly compelled to review this story (and honestly, I seldom review fics). WHen i read stories, I tend to flit back and forth between several different windows, not really paying attention to anything I'm doing. I was just about to close this window when the second-to-last paragraph caught my eye, and I knew I had to finish this.

Case in point, this was wonderful, and it made my night. To date, I've never read another fiction that deals with the twins' reaction to their father leaving, and now you've planted at desire for me to write one of my own.

Ruddy brilliant, friend! I hope to read more from you in the future. Whether I'll review again is doubtful, but I'll try. :D
Pete Zaitcev chapter 1 . 5/18/2004
Best LOTR epilogica I saw so far. Highly polished, especially considering that it's a present.
Envinyatar chapter 1 . 3/8/2004
Moving, evocative and well-written. I have read this through a few times trying to see how someone can think this portrays Aragorn as an uncaring father, but I just don't see that at all. I am curious as to the reason for Eldarion's insistence, though - is this hope for the future?
I loved the descriptions of Imladris failing and Gimli's attempts to comfort Celeborn. Finally, the reference to the now-orphaned Aragorn and Arwen was deeply moving.
Lalwen chapter 1 . 3/4/2004
You know I love it - I just thought I'd give an official review saying that... well, I love it. :)
Itarille chapter 1 . 3/1/2004
Lovely story. Wonderful portrayals, and the tapestry of different characters is woven together seamlessly.
Eykar chapter 1 . 3/1/2004
Very well written and emotionally convincing, however I am not sure why Aragorn is (#1) so uninterested a father, apparently all the time and (#2) so terribly bereft today. I can make a few guesses, but would have preferred to know whether they are at all accurate: The wanderer/warrior turned out unsuited for the responsibilities of either family life or kingship? Jealousy of those who are leaving for Valinor without him? Guilt over separting Arwen from her father? Does he still think of Elrond as his father? Will he miss Gandalf that much? Was he tiresomely stuck on Frodo (boring boring boring!) and ready to pine after him forever? Or is just feeling his mortality too much to care that he will surive through his son? I think I could accept his indifference on this one day if his son's naming of him didn't show him to lack fatherly feeling in general.