Reviews for No Peace Unto the Wicked
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/15/2005
"At last all are gone; we the last are forsaken

and alone now. Above in the night sky"

Well, not quite. Some follower must have sent that message to Eonwe. But that is beside the point. The remarkable thing is that you manage to stick to a strict form that doesn't feel awkward or forced. I really admire that. Tolkien would be proud.

"On the shore we shall seek you, flame-spirits wandering,"

Feanor's sons are refusing the call of Mandos to be near Maglor? Interesting. I wouldn't put it past them.
Avalon Estel chapter 1 . 2/28/2005
Incredible. Simply amazing. I have no words...

Avie
Verse chapter 1 . 8/26/2004
Lovely. I am particularly fond of the last lines.
Donroth chapter 1 . 5/31/2004
I'm sorry I won't be much help. I've never really been good at poetry. The only thing I can say is whether it touched me or not. This definitely did. Then again, I do have an obsession with anything Feanorian. )
jesatria7 chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
Wow! I wish I could write poetry! This is a very good poem. It conveys the last days of the Feanorians quite well. You have captured the tragedy of their fate and the whole situation itself. Well done.
Beatrisu chapter 1 . 4/12/2004
Thank you for the review on my kinslayer drabble, and I am happy you asked me to read your story. It is simply beautiful! I love it...
mirari1 chapter 1 . 3/20/2004
No criticism here! (As a writer who's never successfully completed a sestina, I'm really not qualified :)). I think you did a wonderful job with a really difficult form of poetry. I especially liked the phrase "that wicked oath which binds us, which holds us to fire". Poor Maedhros. He always seemed to me like one of the saner Feanorians.
Elvenesse chapter 1 . 3/17/2004
Well, not much criticism here. I've been trying to write a sestina for months and am finding it very difficult, so I think having a completed one is brilliant.
I like the subject you've chosen and the obsessiveness works for Maedhros's thoughts as well as the repeating endings.
Really the only thing that jarred me slightly was (personal preference) that some of the punctuation seems unnecessary and breaks the flow of the poem in pieces.
I do like it though, and thanks for reviewing my drabbles.
Werecat99 chapter 1 . 3/15/2004
I'm speechless. I'm hardly a poet, so any attempt on constructive criticism from my part will fail miserably. The only thing I can say is that this has moved me deeply.
Great work. And thanks for the review.
slightlyskewed chapter 1 . 3/12/2004
I'm afraid I have very, very little criticism to offer...this is an amazing sestina. As someone who's never been able to write a good one, I admire your ability to do so...especially in a first draft. My sestinas, first draft or no, are usually only fit to burn.
The only thing I have to criticize is your syntax. I'm not an english teacher, so I'm not sure what to call it-but lines like 'for you in their deathless hate I mourn' would be stronger, I think, if switched around to 'I mourn for you, in their deathless hate.' Flipping it around like you do is effective, but I think you do it a tad too much...and I know it's very hard not to do in a sestina, as well. _
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I really, truly, and honestly don't have much to say...this is a beautiful sestina. (And it's about one of my favorite subjects, hehe!)