Reviews for An Unexpected Lesson
Gamma Cavy chapter 12 . 8/11/2013
so that's where he got the hat,
The Honorable Arik Novak chapter 13 . 3/30/2013
The epilogue was a nice way to end this story. Thanks again for the enjoyable read.
The Honorable Arik Novak chapter 10 . 3/29/2013
I've been looking for good stories like this one for a while now. I was ever so pleased as I began to read this, as the stories I come upon usually were too simple/dialogue-heavy or had no interesting action and were too introspective. I think the story has progressed believably and enjoyably, especially in regard to Kenshin's feelings on various matters. Though I think the villainization of Orinosuke is a bit much, I can see how it's necessary for plot purposes. Anyway, I need to go now and attend to other duties, but hopefully I'll get the opportunity to finish reading your story. Thank you very much.
Gabi1994 chapter 12 . 3/16/2013
I love this fic, its one of my all time favorites, this is probably my 3rd reading and every time I'm struck by the perfection of the characters of your kabuki troup. usually an author's OC's stand out like glaring sign posts, however yours are simply perfect, and you captured the feeling of family gracefully. thankyou
notsolimpbizkit chapter 7 . 3/1/2013
I've read this story quite a few times yet this chapter never fails to give me goosebumps! The anticipation of the showdown against the bandits is written brilliantly. My fav chapter.
notsolimpbizkit chapter 13 . 1/23/2013
An excellent read! Couldn't put it down once i got started.
Ayasamachan chapter 13 . 1/14/2013
OMG!
I just read the translated story (in german), but there wasn't the epilogue... but it was the best of the whole story!
I think, I will read all chapters in english soon... a really really beautiful story!
Thank you so much!
Iana chapter 13 . 1/7/2013
Really good.
twilightdreamers chapter 13 . 1/6/2013
Love the story! Nice ending! ;D
Inara Seraph chapter 13 . 10/17/2012
Beautiful story, very original flavor and fits in with canon as well!
Sedentary Wordsmith chapter 13 . 9/8/2012
Dang you and your unbelievably awesome story! I had to stay up literally all night reading it because I just couldn't force myself to put it down and sleep. Normally I don't like a story with a lot of OCs in it, but I found that I really didn't mind them at all in this one-loved them, even. They were all so individual and realistic, as if they were all real people. I loved taking this little trip into the life of the Daisuke family with Kenshin on his grand adventure. (: The plot was beyond brilliant, and educational to boot. I can tell that you must have put an enormous amount of time and research into it (unless you're just a natural genius at kabuki...). The angst was heart-rending, and the humor was side-splitting, and neither detracted from the other in a brilliant mix that made the entire story that much more believable and endearing. I love the entire premise of it, that this is how Kenshin learned to smile and act silly to hide himself. I love every single bit of it: trying to pick out my favorite parts would take way too long, so just suffice it to say that I loved it all. Brilliant! Thank you so much for writing and sharing! I'm off to check out the rest of your works! (...maybe after some sleep.)

-Word
Alpecca Ankaa Black chapter 13 . 7/26/2012
I really enjoyed this story. Sessha thanks you for writing it.*added to favorites*
Alpecca Ankaa Black chapter 9 . 7/26/2012
okay, I don't know how or why this happened but when Kenshin said he was starting to sound like Hiko this hilarious idea of Hiko attending one these plays and recognizing Kenshin(because of his ki) popped into my head. can you say omake?
BumblingLobster chapter 13 . 5/15/2012
I loved this fic! It gave me the perfect mix of historical geekiness (on my part, but I kind of secretly hope you're also a Japanese history geek...) and amazing characters. I just loved the Kabuki troupe, and you did so well portraying Kenshin as he's slowly transforming from Battousai to the goofy wanderer. Thanks so much for you're wonderful work! I really, really enjoyed it. (Also, the second time Kenshin played an onnagata had me in fits of laughter, especially the part with the cups)
P.P.V.V chapter 13 . 3/15/2012
Beautiful!

*applauses*

Absolutely beautiful!

Everything down from the historical aspects to the humour, to the angst. Even the Kabuki plays were interesting! The story was short but very powerful.

I love your writing style. It's very inspiring and very realistic. You've managed to portray Kenshin wonderfully - it's an interesting take on how he is so able to hide his true personality behind the smiling persona.

I especially love Baiko. He sounds just like Sanosuke. It's a pity he didn't get to say good bye or see Kenshin again. I thought Kenshin's leaving the family was brilliantly done. Not too much angst, not on a good or bad note, and definitely not drawn out.

Honestly, you had me in my seat wondering what would happen if the Kabuki troupe found out. Daisuke at least seemed forgiving. And it's interesting to see that Ikuko wasn't.

But the emotions and thoughts that Kenshin portrayed were what hit it out of the ball park. One can't help but feel sorry for him but then, the reality of the matter is not something he can just run away from. What a big heart for such a small (scrawny) man! It's what makes us love him to pieces!

I love YOU to pieces for such an awesome work that you've created. By all means, borrow the characters again and write another masterpiece. Thanks so much for sharing this. It was a pleasure to read.

Inspired,