Reviews for An Unexpected Lesson
VengeanceMeow chapter 13 . 9/17
I just finished this story and, even though i know it was written long ago and that you've probably moved on, I have to share my appreciation for this fic. What a great job you did in melding Kenshin's angstthe pain of his memories of the war and his actions in Kyoto, the knowledge that he is a danger to people he comes into contact with, his deep desire for a family to belong towith the drama fermenting in the Daisuke's troupe and the genuine hilarity of Kenshin's response to having to play thr part of the girl. To me, the mark of a good fic, especially one with original characters, is when I forget I'm reading fanfic. For this story, the only time i remembered that fact was when the author's notes started at the end of the chapter. Anyway, if you are still reading comments, thank you so much for creating this story for me to enjoy!
Footprint chapter 1 . 9/10
I've always wondered what Kenshin did when he was wandering
shaid chapter 13 . 9/8/2016
This was amazing! I'm a little obsessed right now so I'm combing through favorites of favorites. I'm so glad I found this gem! Beautifully done. Thank you so much for sharing this. Good luck in everything!
Hopewords chapter 13 . 7/26/2016
It would be so funny to see the gang's reactions to a performance by Kenshin lol. Great story!
Lolcano chapter 13 . 6/8/2016
Wow this was a really amazing story! It has everything - suspense, great characters, great plot, a satisfying conclusion... Thanks so much for writing this!
aGreatLoudThump chapter 13 . 4/13/2016
Aww, I really loved this story. And it's good to see Ken-san get some of the happiness he deserves every once and a while :)

This is also a really good explanation for the "silly rurouni" persona. I was always curious about the huge disconnect between the rurouni and Battousai. This provides an interesting explanation for where that comes from.

Great story!
Isono chapter 1 . 3/31/2016
I still love this story so much!
Basil Allegri chapter 13 . 1/13/2016
It's interesting how many talents Kenshin has aside from swordsmanship - and in how many different ways they can be used, whether or not he's aware of it. This story was a great insight into his character development - and I enjoyed your OC's. It probably helped that you did more historical/cultural research than I would have in your place.
ParamoreXO chapter 13 . 1/2/2016
What a wonderful story! This is a new favorite of mine. You gave a believable and endearing origin to some of Kenshin's mannerisms.
The main critique I have for you is that you do more telling than showing throughout your story. Rather than tell readers that Yahiko is acting rude or that Ikuko is conflicted, allow readers to infer that with concrete and specific details. Let their actions speak for themselves.
an-earl chapter 1 . 10/5/2015
Hi! I'm the 'guest' reviewer that posted the last 8 reviews haha! Came here to leave my name. Love this story, thank you so much for writing it. Conspirator and Co-conspirator, you should be immensely proud.
Guest chapter 13 . 10/5/2015
Beautiful story, beautiful epilogue. I loved it.
I'm so glad that the Rurouni Kenshin live action adaptions exists. They're the whole reason I got wind of this amazing series. This was finished in 2005,- 10 years ago! But in the second live action adaption- Kyoto inferno, we see Kenshin watch a kabuki play about himself in it. This fic predicted 10 years into the future.

this was a fantastic read. Thank you.
Guest chapter 11 . 10/5/2015
Jeepers. This just keeps piling up. I don't know how intense the climax can get. And this is a story about Kenshin crossdressing for a kabuki play. We have Orinosuke trying to get out his identity, Ryosuke and Ennosuke interrogating him, the prank to worry about on stage, the 12 satsuma guards, the daimyo to meet, the family trying to get him to join the troupe AND on top of it all, theres a guy trying to get revenge on Kenshin which he has to fight by midnight.

This plot is incredible. Thank you!
Guest chapter 10 . 10/5/2015
frick frack. Things are heating up. ORINOSUKE, YOU'RE TEARING THIS FAMILY APAAAART! OH no, Kenshin's totally gonna be recognised on stage or something...ahhhhhh, I wonder if someone reads that letter he has tucked in his sleeve...
Guest chapter 8 . 10/5/2015
Holy- Baiko! He just swore he would kill Katsura because of what he made Kenshin do :O
Again, nice chapter! Gosh this chapter was so light until that last segment. Loved it, though. It was really eye-opening for me too, Kenshin totally killed that guy's brother. I mean, we all know that Kenshin has probably killed more than a hundred people, but it seems so distant, you know. When that soldier said that, I had a Baiko moment too.

Also, I like how Hiko trained Kenshin in gambling too! That seems kinda incredulous, but it's a great addition.' Kenshin patted his full wallet. Sessha knows, sessha knows...'
Guest chapter 7 . 10/5/2015
Oh my god the drama. I'm so impressed by this story! But wow, it has only been 3 years since the end of bakumatsu- Kenshin had no qualms about breaking that guys back...Oh no oh no, that mention of Okubo :O
But holy, does that tie into the manga? Okubo has been looking for Kenshin for almost a decade? Ugh I've been waiting all this time for Kenshin to have to use his skill, but now that he's done it, I'm saddened by how the aftermath is. Don't give up, Kenshin.
That was wonderfully written, I loved that way you described Kenshin's alertness in this chapter how all nerves were attuned to the slightest irregularities. Really great stuff. Thanks!