Reviews for Songs of Rohan: BattleSong of the Riddermark
Malthen Tinu chapter 1 . 11/12/2004
This is great. I love your pen name! I'll have to look its meaning up.
angelsflame265 chapter 1 . 5/15/2004
wow this is really good
Elwen Aiwelinde chapter 1 . 3/13/2004
Given the number of comments (thank you! Thank you!) I felt I had to respond to a couple of them. Specifically, the rhyming. Actually, I do rhyme many of my poems, just have a look. ;) This particular style though, is not supposed to rhyme. It's Anglo-Saxon metered verse, which has a very specific meter of two beats and at least four syllables per half-line (hence the 'now' in the third verse first line) and does not rhyme; instead it alliterates.
Yes, wolves, as well as wargs, are known in Rohan. (And also are symbolic in Nordic poetry.)And, I mentioned ancient evil because the Rohirrim know well enough of the dark nasties that come out of the east; they came down from the North to fight against it, after all.
Fangelir chapter 1 . 3/13/2004
Beautiful wording. The rhythm is great. It would have been slightly better if it had rhymed, but I think it's more important in this case to use a steady meter and a flowing language, both of which you do very well. Do keep writing. :)
AsianScaper chapter 1 . 3/13/2004
Interesting. I like it. Sounds very battle-ish though the rhythm of the third paragraph, first line was somewhat hampered by the word 'now'. And the mention of an ancient evil is I think, a bit odd; Gondor's armies would have related to that more. Oh, and the short mention of horses might be something you can work on. The Rohirrim treat their horses like Men and I think that would be a welcome elaboration. But of course, that's just me. I like the mention of the mead-hall, since the culture of the Rohirrim could be comparable to Nordic culture. Your use of alliteration was also fun. In all, a great read! By the way, are there wolves in the Riddermark?
LauraCeleste chapter 1 . 3/12/2004
Oh. My. Gosh. This was absolutely amazing. Poetry in its finest form. Free verse, and yet enough rhyme in its inner structure to make it just a joy to read aloud. And read it aloud I did! I loved it, simply loved it. Bravo for a job well done!