Reviews for Between Two Worlds
The Winterwitch chapter 1 . 11/22/2013
This is brilliant! One of the best stories I have ever read. You get into Ereinion so beautifully, show his internal landscape so well and corresponding so beautifully with his perception of the world around him. I have fallen in love with your depiction of Eluwaith culture and your Celeborn since Oak and Willow (though it might well be that I still haven't written reviews for it - my review backlog is shamefully long), and to see the culture and the person here through Ereinion's eyes is a beautiful complement to this fanon which has already become my headcanon. Thank you for this wonderful gift to us Tolkien lovers.
Freyalyn chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
I feel rather lost and lonely too, reading this. Excellent description of how it is to be torn between two worlds and desires. And a rapid learning experience too!
chisscientist chapter 1 . 4/25/2009
I really enjoyed this story. Very well written and well characterized. I would have expected Ereinion to know a little bit more about Elu Thingol given that he is distantly related and the house of Finarfin was acting as a bridge between Doriath and the Noldor, but so much of that is simply differing interpretation that it is hard to know exactly what the situation was. I do like that Ereinion had a tutor there with him as it seems unlikely that Orodreth would have dumped him alone into a semi-stranger's care when he is so young. I also like Ereinion's attitude to the situation. It feels right to me. Thank you very much for writing this.
Elentarri chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
Lovely
Tehta chapter 1 . 3/18/2004
Love it. All your characters are so alive, as always. And I do enjoy your take on Ereinion: sensitive but not very subtle. Favourite bits: Celeborn disappearing with his cloak, Ereinion choosing the belt and then thinking about his name, both of them loving the smell of the land. Look forward to more!
Larian Elensar chapter 1 . 3/17/2004
*claps*
I like this already! I always wondered how close Gil-Galad and Celeborn were...this is a good view of that :)
Sphinx chapter 1 . 3/17/2004
'And Ereinion wanted to laugh and spread out his hands, embrace the world, dance with it, and call it his own.'
I loved that. You seemed to encompass his entire personality, and his dilemma, into such few words.
Great story, Marnie. :) Wonderful addition of Cirdan, and the whole atmosphere of the Havens that you created was very real.
Celeborn was as Celeborn always is in one of your stories. I loved it when he said 'I have no gift of foresight to tell if the world will endure even long enough for you to become a king."'
E.D.'s one lucky lady. :):)
erunyauve chapter 1 . 3/16/2004
Interesting look at Gil-galad. I like the idea that his love for Ennor separates him from his forefathers, and perhaps it is one of the reasons he is able to avoid the traps of despair and desperation that eliminate the scions of Finwe one by one. And I'm always happy to see him as Orodreth's son.
Dragon-of-the-north chapter 1 . 3/16/2004
This is an excellent little story - I enjoyed it so very much! :-)
Hm, I see you go with the "Gil-Galad is Orodreth's son" version - I still cling to the Fingon version (for the sole reason that I cannot see him as Finduilas' brother, no matter how hard I try), but that did not diminish the pleasure I got out of this story at all.
I love the question that you touch here - how would a Noldo born in ME feel about Valinor, being taught that he needs must love Aman (Fingaran, well-meaning but prejudiced and utterly unable to understand his little prince, was a great character to show the influence of the elder Noldor generation), but feeling drawn to Middle-earth, his home and the place he belongs to? I liked the solution you found (contrasting him with and yet mirroring him in Elu Thingol - brilliant! :-)), and there was another thing that I found very, very good and appealing about this story: You are one of the very few authors I know who see and tell that children can have deep thoughts and philosophical worries (there are far too many silly little elven princes out there on !). I also enjoyed immensely that you wrote Ereinion behaving both in a childlike manner and according to his rank and education - that was splendidly done! He is a child, yes, but he is also a prince, and that shows. :-) The conversation with Celeborn was absolutely awesome, moving from the formalities to blatant honesty (even including what Ereinion had been told about Celeborn's temper - that made me chuckle!) and dealing with Ereinion's greatest worry. Oh - and I also enjoyed the descriptions so very much, the sea, the seaside, Celeborn's travelling party arriving, the solar, etc. - the atmosphere you created was, once again, convincing and great.
I loved it! :-)
Galorin chapter 1 . 3/15/2004
Marnie!
First of all, I must say how much I enjoyed your description of the seashore. I saw the ocean for the first time about a year ago at 20 years old, and fell in love with it...it's a shame it is 1500 miles in any direction from where I currently am! But, thank you for taking me back there, if only in spirit! It is interesting to think that a Noldor child would have such a fascination with a "real" Sindar. I also really enjoy your portrayal of Ereinion as a perceptive, mature child. In particular, that he could see their living situation from Fingaran's point of view and endeavor not to hurt the other elf's feelings shows he is a contemplative young prince. It is also a refreshing change to have a Noldo who loves Middle Earth, instead of obsessing over Valinor. He does not pine for some theoretical paradise, but enjoys the land that harbors him NOW. He is just such a deep, intelligent little guy, I enjoy this character very much! Great work!
nevvy chapter 1 . 3/15/2004
i like this side of gil-galad, i havent read a story where he doesnt share the same view as the people he'll be ruling some day. which makes sense because he is young and born in beleriand, and as he gets older, he'll become more involved and tied with middle earth. great fic, i very much enjoyed it! xoxo
Bejai chapter 1 . 3/15/2004
Oh, excellent, Marnie! Loved Ereinion's dilemma. A Noldor born in Middle Earth. Never had thought about that before. Perhaps that is why he is able to unite the elves after the War of Wrath - because he understands so many points of view. Rare, for you to write a Noldor, but this one has a Sindar heart, methinks :)And the parallel between Elu Thingol and Ereinion was apt, and something else I'd never thought about before.
Loved Celeborn, too. Slow to take insult as a child works through his questions, willing to teach, willing to respect where it is deserved. And this was quite multilayered: "Love can bind together even those whose hearts dwell in separate worlds." Loved too Cirdan's little dig about his temper. One of these days, I want to see him in full pissed-off mode, with no need to reign himself in in the name of diplomacy, love, or friendship :)
Just a lovely, lovely story. Fresh, thoughtful. Wonderful, Marnie
A. Meril chapter 1 . 3/15/2004
Very interesting.
The descriptions of their surroundings were remarkable: gave it a nice sense of reality, with continually describing their environment.
*smile* Celeborn, as always, is excellent, and so perceptive. He makes me think about the people that are not highlighted by the Noldorin glory, but make it work: the craftsman, the farmers, etc.
Young Ereinion's emotions are also very good. Noldor but Umanyar is an excellent conflict.
Very nice! Keep writing!