Reviews for Recalling Days of Old
Linnath chapter 1 . 6/2/2005
I like it, meter still seems a bit off on the last stanza, but what do I know?

This REALLY reminds me of Robert Frost, he write in the rendome meter, and wierd random thought that somehow all ties to gether. Amazing!
MusicDreamer chapter 1 . 6/21/2004
Another excellent poem. It represents the Silmarillion very well. You are an excellent poet. I envy you.

Lady of the Dog Star chapter 1 . 6/8/2004
This is very good, especially the last few lines. Don't really have much constructive critisism for's beautiful!
Boohow chapter 1 . 5/31/2004
UCV3z:hi, w/ friend, i hope u lik her reviews,

Yes yes my reviews are awesome! just ask around...

That was way too deep for my little mind to get around. and i haven't read the simarilion(she cant spell) yeah that was UCV3z. thank you for clearing that up. But anyways it was very good and kind of motivated me to read it so i could understand, like, half the language. and names and stuff, adds UCV3z. But, otherwise, you did a very good job. it even distracted me from avril lavinge's new cd blaring up the stairs (its UCV3z's cd by the way, she wanted to add that)he he he he he. that was her again. By the way, do you think an angry mob of LOTR fans will run at me with tomatoes swearing me in Elvish and saying i'm unworthy to review this story/poem/thing since i haven't read the simirilon. i think i spelled that different the first time. AAH! HERE THEY COME! GET HELP! GET-, WELL I THINK THAT took care of *her*...- UCV3z
Imithwennyere chapter 1 . 5/31/2004
A daunting task, to summarize the Simarillion, but you have done well. I would have mentioned the Simarils, though, and perhaps made note of Morgoth in some way, but that's just me. Interesting idea!
Tyelka chapter 1 . 5/20/2004
I thought this poem was excellent! Keep writing more - and thankyou for reviewing my poem!
funkless chapter 1 . 5/19/2004
Thanks for reviewing my poem. So I will review yours as a return of the favour.
This poem is very straight-forward and concise. I like that. Not twaddling on forever and ever. You are very eloquent with your words and I can easily see each scene/character easily.
"Of adventure, darkness, valor, and love
Granted from the heavens above. "
I like this line, especially because the tales of the Silmarillion are in essence made in Heaven given to mere mortals on Earth (that's if you count Valinor as a sort of Paradise, I do!). You nicely summed up the Sil. The poem's meter is fine. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
Miriel Amarian chapter 1 . 4/28/2004
I wish I could write in meter like that; keep up the good work. This poem really is the Silmarillion put into verse.
UniCornVampire3z chapter 1 . 4/22/2004
o i lik it! sorta weird but i lik sirta weird stuff!
Sleeping Schizophrenic chapter 1 . 4/22/2004
I thought it was really good. It describes the characters from the book very well, and you compact it nicely. Keep writing more, you're good at it!
starspike chapter 1 . 4/7/2004
Awesome poem! I like that it's sort of a mini version of the Silmarillion. The rhyming really adds to the poem. Beautiful job!
lorven wind fighter chapter 1 . 4/2/2004
I've never read Silmarillion, but i really like your poem. love the ending. in all, really good!
Vana Tuivana chapter 1 . 3/25/2004
I like this! It does tell the tale of the Silmarillion, very briefly. I like the sense of oldness, of history, very much.

Try sorting out your rhyme scheme as well as your rhythmic scheme as Tinuviel-luthien suggested. In the first stanza, you use the scheme ababcdefgghh; while in the second, it is abcdefgg. The first is more regular than the second, but this is not wholly regular. I'd suggest choosing one or the other, meter or free verse, and the rhyme scheme that applies to them.

Also look at the way the poem appears on the page. Your longest line has 15 syllables, the shortest has 4. Sorting this out would go a long way toward making the poem better. :)

One last thing: You spell Nargothrond incorrectly in the 3rd line. (Nargothorand). Also, in the 4th line, /Hurin, son of Huor’s patient climb/, Hurin and Huor are brothers. Hurin's son is Turin, and Huor's son is Tuor.
Tinuviel-luthien chapter 1 . 3/23/2004
This is a pretty poem, I like how you entertwined so many people into such a short poem. You use lots of awesome descriptive terms that add good quality to your poem. One critique however is that I think this poem could be improved if you had a steadier rhythm, some lines have alot more feet than others. I think that thise would add to the flow of your poem. Anyway, great work!
totallyObsessedwithLOTR chapter 1 . 3/21/2004
that's beautiful! you should write more poems! if you ever have time, or want to, you should try writing a poem in either Quenyan or Sindarin! those are such beautiful languages...