Reviews for Ties Broken by a Sword
WhyMustIWrite chapter 1 . 6/14/2013
This has got to be one of the best-characterized stories of Denethor & his sons I've read. You highlight the fact that Denethor's harshness is underlyed and motivated by fear and love, with "help" from the palantir. And it was the desperate intensity of his need to protect Gondor that drove him to the palantir in the first place. Also, you show that Denethor does not despise scholarship & music, but that he finds no place for it in these times if his sons are to survive. It reminds me of his snide remark to Faramir in the book, about him wanting to be lordly and gracious, as a king of old.
And Faramir! I commend you for not making him crumble and become undone at his father's disapprovable. Ff writers sometimes turn him into timid, pitiable creature. You showed that he was no less resolute than his brother; a man of hardihood. I absolutely loved it when he replied to Boromir that "Yes, I am tired. We will work on it now." And yet you don't ignore the emotional toll it does take.
And I loved that you showed Boromir being protective and supportive of his younger brother. I felt for him, being caught between his father and his brother, trying to be the voice of reason and reconciiation. You showed that already he has the makings of a true captain and leader of men.
This whole fic was so well-spun, as well as rather sorrowful, paricularly since we know we are watching the seeds of that family's demise. Thank you for sharing!
Nanuk chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
Awww, brilliant! Thanks!
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 2/24/2008
i like this. it's a very realistic-and plausible-portrayal of their lives. it's heartrending, without being obnoxious and angsty. loved it! i like your denethor.
Snowgurl54 chapter 1 . 1/8/2006
wonderful!
TangerineBreeze chapter 1 . 3/3/2005
I like this! It's very well written, and I love how it gives a bit more insight into how the Palantir may have affected Denethor in the years before the War of the Ring. Good job!
Silivren-Shadow chapter 1 . 12/3/2004
That was really well written, and followed the true emotions of the characters from the books really well! And I loved loved loved loved the ending! Sorry for the repitition, but it was great!

Silivren
Levaire chapter 1 . 10/16/2004
This is really good. I think you should try and make a story out of this. About Denethor's relationship to his sons as time passes and he uses the Palantar more and more often.
Morithil chapter 1 . 6/15/2004
Oh! Great stuff, I really liked this, you've dealt with Denethor's inner struggle over using the Palantir and protecting Gondor so well I can feel the frustration! And Boromir standing up to him - fantastic.

p.s. Thanks for the review!
Shortnshort chapter 1 . 6/2/2004
great Story
Ilium chapter 1 . 4/18/2004
Okay. I read one of your stories and now I'm probably going to read them all AND review them all because they're so good they require raving. And Faramir huggling. *hugglez Faramir* And Boromir huggling for defending his little bro. *hugglez Boromir* And Denethor smacking for being a big fat bully. A big fat bully with a very real reason for being so. His motives are perfect, his actions plausible, and the emotional output is great. *awards A to wonderful author then realizes she has yet to actually smack Denethor and gives him a nice little handprint to hang on his cheek* (Immediately feeling bad for doing it too. I think I'm having an attack of Denethor-pity over here.) Hehe. I also love the ending. The effect that Denethor's actions have on both brothers is the beginning of a great set up for how their relationships are throughout the books.
Rosie26 chapter 1 . 4/12/2004
I really really like this story - it's one of the best I've read on this site, and I've read some great ones. :)
boromir chapter 1 . 3/25/2004
loved this story
Catherine Maria chapter 1 . 3/23/2004
Excellent job with this story. It seems very plausible in terms of the characters and their part in the whole trilogy. It is easy to imagine something like this could have taken place. Good insight into the internal torment that Denethor would have surely endured. How all of the pressure and doubt would cause a man, who would otherwise know better, to do something so dangerous and ultimately self-destructive. I also liked how you explored how Denethor's behavior towards Faramir would affect Boromir and the uncomfortable position Boromir would be put in. And even how that pressure could actually bring the brothers even closer together. You are doing a wonderful job of capturing the relationship of these three men. I hope there will be more.
shie1dmaidenofrohan chapter 1 . 3/23/2004
Wow... that was really intense. You did a really good job of building up the tension between the three of them.
Berzerkerprime chapter 1 . 3/22/2004
This is excellent! The characters are spot-on and true to Tolkien lore. So nice to see a fanfic where there's conflict between Denethor and Faramir because they're alike! Most people just don't get it! _
Only one thing wrong with the fic; you misspelled "Isildur."
For true-to-Tolkien characterization, this goes on my faves list! _
Berz.