Reviews for Filius Superhominis I: The Kent Family Secret
ReconstructWriter chapter 14 . 7/27
Jeune Ecrivain,

Good writing and interesting premises regarding the son of Superman. That said, read with a critical eye this story seems to fall into ‘Protagonist Centered morality’ where Ben Kent is Always Right. He sees heavy makeup, short and tight clothes and ‘sluts’ in general as bad things. A realistic point of view for a teenager, but in the story Francesca’s transition from good to fallen is accompanied by heavy makeup and sexy clothes. When she is redeemed, the heavy makeup and sexy clothes are gone. Which makes it seem like the story's morality is in-line with the protagonist's.

Both Francesca and Vin call out Ben on his behavior and they have some good points about his sudden interest in a girl he stopped being friends with over a year ago. Made even creepier with a super-powered boy. Yet both are ‘proven wrong’ in the story and learn Ben has the right of things instead of your protagonist considering his actions from Francesca's point of view.

Then there’s the Bully Comeuppance scene. While cathartic, it seems out of character for a teacher to punish the bully and completely ignore a broken hand. Too many teachers, in such a situation, would punish all four participants, equating defending oneself equal to the attacker’s actions. Even a fair teacher would at least question Ben and his bullies separately, trying to get a better picture of what happened. Plus, Ben did do some very suspicious things in front of many students…surely some of them might put two and two together?

Yet there’s no questions, no investigation, certainly no detention for our hero. No consequences at all for an open display of his powers.

Though you say Ben is more mature and moral, his first thoughts on using his powers are ‘how these can make my life easier’. Not a thought to helping others until his childhood friend is in danger, which is the time most anyone of neutral morality would act. Compared to teens who spend time and money, risk health, freedom and even their lives for total strangers, Ben’s thoughts and actions show a pretentious teenager, not a pillar of morality.

Writing him this way is fine. It's realistic. But be sure the story shows him as a pretentious teenager rather than him being able to do no wrong—lest your protagonist lose all struggle or sympathy.
Guest chapter 14 . 10/31/2015
Noooooo! Don't stop there! More! More!
jdboss1 chapter 8 . 7/19/2014
This is the exact mentalityI cannot understand

Someone we really considers close to is in immediate extreme danger and all he can do is try and maintain a secret he's just discovered bloody ridiculous

All these Bloody superhero types Care more about Some stupid secret Identity than just His friend

Emotional abuse to fear this life-Changing moment will affect The poor girl for the rest of her life
All because he couldn't be bothered in taking out the terrorists

He could have moved faster than Human comprehension he could have stolen a gun of the police officers and shot them With superspeed adequacy
100and 1 ways he could resolve the incident In the first 30 seconds of arriving but instead he Made his friend witnesses suppose demise and fear she was next To die And all he could do was try and pretend to be dead bloody ridiculous

And to do it for justice WTF your character has never particularly shown much of a philosopher and concerned about law enforcement
but simple you Hurt mind I mass you into oblivion Philosophy should at least be default

And then he allowed her to become hostage and only saved when his father turned up bloody ridiculous

At least wonder woman isn't that Foolish

Hopeful good story just have the account to be a bit more smart
Trying -Helps chapter 9 . 8/23/2013
I was surprised when I found this story. Amazed I missed it, the idea is really interesting, I have to say I was a bit disappointed that Superman married Lois but I suppose that's the way the cookie crumbles. Not bad writing though, you didn't do bad on the fight scene, it was pretty easy to understand. Nice work.
Take the Good Person Test, fifth search result on Google.
kobez2.0 chapter 3 . 5/1/2009
You've managed to craft an intricate immersive and highly detailed world, without trashing the pacing and flow. i look forward to reading more of your works.

-kobez-
kobez2.0 chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
After browsing several stories in the 'Superman' section I'm glad to have finally come across at leastone that was writen by a competent author who takes pride in their work. Thank you. Seriously, I was beginning to lose faith in this board. I'm not entirely clear on some things just yet but I expect they will be revealed in due time.

-kobez-
VeltaIO chapter 14 . 4/23/2007
What fun. Please return and show us more about Ben, his sisters, his friend Francisca and his parents. This has been a very interesting possible future that I would love to see continued.
htbthomas chapter 14 . 2/17/2007
I was sent over here by JamesTKent to read your story. Very nicely done. I did see a lot of similarities to Smallville and Spider-Man 1, but they were pretty superficial. You were able to make the content your own!

I would love to see your continue this, even though it has been a very long time since an update. I spent a pleasant afternoon reading it. Just know you'll have at least one interested reader if you do!
Freedom Tide chapter 3 . 2/10/2007
that was good! can't wait to see what happens :-)
T-money1 chapter 14 . 7/14/2006
Cool story. It's always nice to read stories dealing with the son of Superman element. Maybe Ben will eventually become Superboy. Great job so far.
dreamalittledream chapter 14 . 7/12/2006
that has to be the greatest superman story i have ever read around here! as in seriously! so please update soon, everyone is waiting for the next chapter :)
piklejuice chapter 7 . 6/30/2006
Loving the next generation! Superman's such a boy-scout and Ben is too, but it works for them. Keep up the good work!
Tokau chapter 14 . 6/10/2006
Hey, hurry up and update! You've got an awesome story!
Free Texan chapter 13 . 5/29/2006
This is an amazing story! You are a great writer-keep it up!

Post more story soon, please! I can't wait to find out what will hapen.
ficfanang chapter 13 . 4/18/2006
Wow, incredible story! I only just recently watched the first two "Superman" movies with Christopher Reeve, and have since found myself addicted. Yours is the first story of this genre that I have read. Love it! Will you continue this story or write a sequel? I would definitely read it!