Reviews for Between the Dog and the Wolf
CrissKenobie-the-Numenorean chapter 65 . 9/9/2015
I've read this story at least 10 times over since I first found it... I sigh with delight every time... I'd have to say though that my favorite scene either the interrogation scene toward the begining, or the beautiful scene at the very end. This story will never get old. Absolute, golden, art right there. *sits by phone grinning stupidly*
Guest chapter 1 . 4/18/2015
This is the best fanfiction I have ever read, including ones from other fandoms. It has the power to leave readers hanging on to every word, desperate for the next chapter and being unable to stop reading and go to sleep at 4am. Plus, I just love the little details, which you've probably spend ages researching. And the romance bit does not seem too rushed - unlike other fanfics where the main character suddenly notices the other guy's wonderful body, which makes his heart leap (or something equally corny). And the fact that you haven't put in disclaimers or a lot of author notes is perfectly fine; it keeps us focused on the story. If I could write 1/10 as good as you I would be 10 times as good as I am now. Thank you, sir/madam, for showing the world what proper fanfictions should be. Thank you.
esteven chapter 68 . 9/23/2013
I h ave followed your story first here and then with great gusto on AO3. I even bookmarked it there to know when the next chapter would be up. But now?

Just thought to let you know how much I'd been enjoying either version and I regret the AO3 version is no longer there because there was nothing in there you have to be ashamed of. It's been a very good piece of writing with original characters that have come to life...and I did love your Vidocq
Lemmingbot chapter 68 . 7/17/2013
As I said on your AO3 version: absolutely terrific.

This is the kind of fanfic that comes only once or twice a year, one that I hold as an example of what fanfic is all about. You give Catbountry (Respawn of the Dead) and Onigil (Rise) a run for their money. Please keep on writing!
Anna Taure chapter 68 . 3/31/2013
Well, I'm finally done reading this fanfic - and my translating muse is already manifesting itself.
I loved reading this story, not only because it is so well written, but because of all the small "madeleines of Proust" it evokes for me, like watching les Enfants du Paradis, or that old historical serial from the 70s narrating Vidocq and his team's adventures.
Concerning the characters, I'd say "Coco" is by far the most repulsive of the lot, in my opinion at least. He pretends to love his inspector, he threatens Valjean... but he was the one who sent Javert to Hell and caused him pain. I wonder if he'll let go of his... ahem, obsession with Valjean around. Another action against the inspector's good friend (mate, significant other, whatever you wish to call what they have) could lead to dire consequences...
In a nutshell, I just loved it.
Merkwerkee chapter 68 . 3/29/2013
Would it be possible to get an e-copy of this? This why I normally read stuff on AO3 now - they have an automatic option to download .mobi files so I can read them on the go. The only reason I even own a e-reader, in point of fact
MMcIntyre chapter 1 . 3/24/2013
This is probably one of the most quality fanfics I've ever read, and makes me look at Javert in a whole new way.
zara2148 chapter 68 . 3/13/2013
1 copy, sounds about fair with $3-5 factored in for shipping, and the U.S.

Although I do wonder, as this is part of a series, do you have any plans to include "The Interview" and "Across a Crowded Ballroom" as supplemental material?
Anna Taure chapter 4 . 3/8/2013
I love your characterization of Javert in this story. He's playing Valjean like a maestro would play the violin.
Stormflite chapter 68 . 2/10/2013
fejika;jfewa;ojfw MORE KEYBOARD FLAILING.

Okay, seriously, this story is a delight. At first I was confused, and then I was intruiged, and then I realised there was all this subtle romance, AND THEN I READ UNTIL 4 AM IN THE MORNING AND I REGRET NOTHING.

I was laughing half the way too. Javert and Vidocq...you guys. Snark on forever. I'm still grinning from some of their lines.

Thank you for your persistence in bringing this story to its completion. It's a treasure; I love the style, the dialogue, the history and of course, the ways you tied into the Les Mis plot. I'm feeling so happy from reading this fic. And I love that.
spiderfire chapter 4 . 2/6/2013
What fun! I just read through over the last few days. I love your snappy dialog. That is something I struggle with as a writer. I also found it amazing that you managed to write 90,000 words about what amounts to 12 hours or less of IC time. The conversations make that happen. I also really had fun with the way you retold many of the scenes in the book to be consistent with your version of Javert. While I am certain Hugo had nothing like you J in mind, your J is a ton of fun.

Thank you! I hope you keep writing and are not done with these characters.
Phoebe chapter 68 . 2/1/2013
Hi,
I first read your story when it was still a work-in-progress back in 2006, and I recall being very very confused as to what was going on. Especially trying to keep up with all the new characters and what Javert seemed to be doing behind Valjean's back. However, I did enjoy Javert's snark. I was also very impressed with the research you had done for the setting, with your insertion of French terms, jokes, and vivid descriptions of life in those times. I think I was a bit intimidated as well with how knowledgeable you were of French history, not to mention your very passionate defence for Javert's real personality on LJ and in your bio (which I also enjoy reading), enough that I dared not comment for fear of offense.

It's 2013 now, and upon rereading I have a greater appreciation for your novel (knowing who Vidocq actually is and rereading every Javert scene in the canon helped), so I laughed at the references to the novel such as the misfiring guns and your clever explanation behind them in both your novel and the brick. It's easy to say now what I liked about your novel. There is humour, drama, lad(s) in distress, a mystery that is satisfactorily explained at the end (mostly Javert's past and reasons for his actions in the canon), and your interpretation of Javert is by far the most intriguing and kickass. So thank you for writing this!

P/S: Did you know that someone has even included having '"know who AmZ is" as part of the You Know You're Obsessed with Javert (YKYOWJ) list?
Izzyaro chapter 68 . 1/31/2013
This is brilliant. The amount of detail you've put into this is incredible, and I love your characterisations of Javert and Valjean. I even liked the Ocs, which is unusual for me. I thought you tied everything together very well.
stormx chapter 64 . 1/31/2013
"Javert above all - he was blinded, spell-bound... He would not hear a word against his lord and master. As if I couldn't all see the truth on his skin! He was always sporting new bruises, new gashes, new stitches, new plasters! There was no end to them! The two of them would blame everything on his head wound, that it was making him clumsy. Javert called the beast "Doctor Frankenstein" and joked that they will need an electrical machine soon, to reanimate him after he falls to bits, and the good doctor would need to stitch him back together. As though I couldn't guess at the truth - that the good doctor who was forever stitching up his wounds was also the man who kept opening them!"

I fucking, just dont even. fuck. another stab to the heart, right there. how on earth are you. Gah.
stormx chapter 64 . 1/31/2013
This here, this:

""Seventeen years," repeated Marie, breathing the words out unevenly through clenched teeth. "Nothing to show for it. Failure after failure. It is all the fault of that Jew! He stole him from under my nose before I could so much as blink. No sooner had Javert settled into our company, there he was, dragging him everywhere by the elbow, like he had any right… And then he had the gall to die and take Javert's mind with him to the grave!"

..hit me like a suckerpunch to the gut. It's just so fucking..tragic. I mean, Marie honey, I feel ya. This Isaac took not just body and soul and refuses to stay dead; but his spirit has to keep resurfacing like some kind of bad dream. I mean, in his fits Javert keeps calling his name. Would he accidentally call the wrong name while..? I can't forsee this boding well for any future relationships either. Imagine being constantly reminded of your significant other's long dead lover? Yeah, no. I didnt think so. Excuse me while I weep in a corner.

Yeah, I found that I wasn't done agitating. Sorry. Dark thoughts have been festering in my mind of late. Once again I hope this does not offend you. I am torn, I really am.