Reviews for Ranma and Akane: A Love Story
tuatara chapter 6 . 2/12/2014
I fully realize just how sacrilegious what I am about to write actually is. I accept that fully. But I do feel I have earned the right to express the following opinion.

I have tried time and again over the years to make my way through the whole of this story. (Inasmuch as an unfinished tale can truly be considered a whole.) And I have finally succeeded. It took months, mind you, but I read it from the first chapter to the last—as well as the existing side stories. So no one can claim I haven’t given this piece an adequate shot. Thus:

I hate this story. I do. From the depths of my non-existent soul in all its non-existent yet variegate states, with all the real and wholly imaginary energies of my being, I hate it. Cannot stand a word of it. I find it to be easily and by a wide margin the single most pretentious thing I have ever read. Words fail me in conveying precisely why this story grates on my every nerve. Were I to marshal the necessary linguistic resources to express the fullness of my feelings about this story, the result would surely encompass several parables, a song or three, and a couple of side treatises on the nature of self-indulgence.

See what I did there?

What makes this piece all the more frustrating to me is that it is unquestionably the product of a keen, reasoned, methodical, patient—much, much too patient—and quite arguably brilliant mind. Yet it also suggests a mind entirely too fascinated by its own ability to turn a phrase. The sort with which it would likely be incredibly rewarding to engage… for perhaps the first hour or so. But then it Just. Keeps. Going.

All that being said, I do stand in awe of the scale of Mr. Hallstrom’s accomplishment with this story. It far outstrips frankly anything I’ve ever achieved in any facet of my life. There is a clarity of purpose that is, in its own way, rather breathtaking. And I honestly do not regret reading it. I’m treating it as a rite of passage, one long overdue.

So thank you for that, Mr. Hallstrom. Now, after being at odds for the better part of a decade, your work and I finally part ways for good. Peace.
Compucles chapter 6 . 8/20/2013
Wow, this is beautiful! It's a shame it never got any further than this.
Yungli chapter 6 . 10/13/2012
Still one of my favorite Ranma AU stories, which is saying a lot as I am rarely a fan of the Ranma accepting his girl-side kind of story. I saw somewhere you had thought about continuing this and really wish you could but like so many of my old favorites, just as they really get going they seem to be abandoned. I still come back to this one to re-read an old friend.
Xelan chapter 6 . 7/16/2012
Excellent. I've been a fan for over a decade.
chronodekar chapter 6 . 10/21/2010
Eric Hallstorm,

I'm sure that a lot of readers have already told you that this is the BEST Ranma 1/2 story they've ever read. And I agree with those assessments.

Unfortunately, this story is also know for another reason, not just in the Ranma 1/2 universe, but fan-fiction in general. It's notorious as a 'dead' fic. Your last update was waaay back in 2001. At least your site's still up - and I like the pics in-between the stories, but -sigh- in the end, this story wont' ever get finished, will it?

I really like your 'author-notes'. Very Insightful. In some cases, I agree and in others, I share a different view-point, but that's just me.

The second arc hints at Ranma revealing the curse to Akane, but I really wish we could have see it in one of these 6 parts you made so far. A real pity about that, but this is a great story nevertheless.

At times, I dream of picking up this and attempting to continue it, but ... well, the one thing I like about this is your writing style. It's too unique and I doubt if many could emulate it.

Really wishing this was actually finished,

Wyte chapter 6 . 11/29/2009
I just re-read this again after being away from Ranma fanfiction for a couple years, and this remains one of the best stories I've ever read, fanfiction or not.

I truly hope that we'll see more of this again someday.
Grinnerz chapter 6 . 9/15/2009
Very good story. I hope to see it continued someday. One thing I was wondering though: how is it that Ranma has stayed in girl form even in a hot bath?
fen chapter 6 . 2/16/2009

I hope all is well with you, I looked this up again because I felt like reading it again (for the 8th time) and found that kawaiikune is down. so I looked it up here, and didn't see the last chapter.

I love this story, and hope you finish it someday.

Please let us know if there's any more coming.
kachiryu-chi chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
oh my gosh. when i first started reading your fic, first thing i thought of was terry pratchett.

later, i saw the granny weatherwax thing and i knew it~!

have you read good omens?

it's fantastic!

oh yeah, i love your fic~!
Ryo Oh Ki7 chapter 6 . 1/27/2006
I love this story. I've loved it since I discovered it on your web-site. If I were to choose a favorite fan-fic this would be it :)

Does the archive of this on suggest updates?
Anon chapter 1 . 11/28/2005
When, oh when will you update this story, I first read it back in mid 20 and I have been hoping for an update. Have you completely stopped?
leeyiankun chapter 6 . 3/3/2005
I disagree that Akane is a Martial Artist.

IMO, you're only a martial artist if you're planning to take it up as a career, or as a way of life.

All other paths are just hobbist.

So in sense, Akane is NOT a martial artist.

Definately NOT a hero. As she lack the most important part of it. You cannot call yourself something if you've got half of it.

Tendency to Protect - check

Tendency to analyse and find a solution - uncheck

Control in dangerous situations - uncheck

Loyalty to friends - check

So she's got half of one. That only gets her as far as an Apprentice hero. A squire if you would properly call her. Not enough decipline to be a knight, definately not enough skills to be one.

The problem that ppl would bash Akane is that she's got it much easier then Ranma, yet fails miserably.

Apart for this, most of your analysis are spot-on.

It's easy though, considering that Takahashi-sensei never develop them further than their 2D description.

But The Kuno family? Brat or not. Their father wears a coconut tree on his head. That proves enough that insanity runs in the family to me.

So maybe you could reconsider this one as well.
die-eine-andere chapter 1 . 11/18/2004
thank you for this wonderfull story. You know that this is a wonderfull story.

I just finished chapter one and it took me three days and normally I don't

review at the first chapter if there are more coming.

THANK you for putting Terry Pratchet in. I love Terry Pratchet. I LOVE Granny Wetterwax.

(Although the german translation is not the best that could be done, really)

I don't know the other books, and I'm not going to read them, but I guess they are great.

I wished I would be able to wirte a ... (I'm German. I don't know the right word

so here comes the wrong,) ... legend like this. But I'm not English so it would be

to much work and I use my really good ideas for my real storys but I

REALLY admire you for this story.

- You can really read Terry Pratchet out of this (had a little of Lu TZe too. And of ... well

in German he's named 'Und damit Treibe ich mich slebst in den Ruin Schnapper' ...

You know the one with the hot sausages in Ank-Morpork (thats robably the not-enlish name too ...)

And I love, LOVE your story!
Gate chapter 1 . 6/29/2004
I'm just jumping around, you know reading and whatnot, and figured I should put some sort of respects to the best damn Ranma fic period. But lo and behold I find on only 16 reviews. 'ONLY 16?' I say to myself, it's a truly demented world when a R fic like 'Little Angel Lost' get 100 reviews and this one here is the 17th review.

I came in hopes for a continuation of R&A:ALS aka Chima Baifeng Shengshan Chun, regardless of none such in passing years, because it's the best damn R fic period.
Skywatch chapter 6 . 2/3/2004
I first read RAALS a couple of years ago. I thought it was absolutely fantastic then (blown away are the operative words) and I still do. Please please please update sometime. :)