Reviews for True Ranger
BaneofOrcs chapter 1 . 2/10/2011
Very nice! I loved it! It was... unique, one of the reasons I like it.
jeffo chapter 1 . 3/23/2004
lose the writing it makes it hard to read
ChichiX chapter 1 . 12/28/2003
That was a wonderful story. I love Ranger..just his entire concept, his entire personality. It is doing the term 'ranger' well for once. Right. That was in incredibly well thought out read, as well. The ties to the, the dwarves, and the gnomes, and the Matron's fleshed out character instead of a cookie cutter one... this story, is just amazing. And the fact that you're put on uneven ground about Kar, not being able to decide if she is good or evil, dangerous or not...
If you write a sequel, I'll read it.
Drizzt rocks chapter 1 . 6/9/2003
I don't want to sound mean, I think everybody has their own idea of what a good ranger is and all...but you shouldn't say that Drizzt isn't a good one. What I say could go for anything. In Dragonlance, for exemple, I could say I think a good mage would be some way, but I won't go saying that, I dunno, raistlin isn't a good one(i like him by the way, i just didn't know who to use).

The story itself is good, but I just don't like stories that are done to go against a character or person...even when I don't like them.
does this matter chapter 1 . 2/2/2003
Ranger: one of a body of organized armed men who range over a region especially to enforce the law b : a soldier specially trained in close-range fighting and in raiding tactics

You should be annoyed becasue there are mAny interpretations of any word and TSRs is just one interpretation
Chaeronea chapter 1 . 2/28/2002
Okay, I'll get the bad part of the review out of the way first: I found the whole concept of a drow elvensteed too corny for my liking - Lloth and the other dark gods tend to corrupt rather than create, and I'm pretty sure critters which came from the Abyss and cut a deal with Lolth would be a lot more vicious than Karnaeve was.

Ranger vs ranger: I think that when TSR used the term 'ranger', they don't mean park ranger or someone concerned with the local ecology - that's closer to a druid. A ranger, according to the TSR books, is a warrior trained to fight and survive in the wilderness, like the Rangers of the North in 'Lord of the Rings' or modern special forces troops. The character Ranger seems more like a druid than a ranger - but he's still a very interesting character.

Which brings me to the most important part of the review...

I LOVED THIS STORY! IT'S BRILLIANT! IT'S REALLY WELL WRITTEN AND INTERESTING AND... okay, I'm back under control now. Seriously, I'm a Drizzt fan but his righteousness sometimes gives me the pip - there's paladins in the Realms who are less sanctimonious! Ranger is a really interesting character, and I want...no, NEED... to see a sequel to this story, or at least another story involving him. Please?
The UnTaMeD chapter 1 . 1/23/2002
A truly amazing story
goblynniteyahoo.com chapter 1 . 12/14/2001
hn...i love drizzt a lot, but i like ranger too. i don't like vilanae.

awesomely written. i wonder where that flamer got the idea that

this fic was racist...weirdo.
Jeiq chapter 1 . 5/3/2001
This is good. Dammit. I adore Drizzt to bits but I do agree he does seem to spend an awful lot of time rushing around with his buddies, albeit for good reasons, rather than seeing to the balance of things in nature... Re the racism comments above, I don't think Anya would have lavished so much time on drow stories, creating her own drow characters (some with the best spine I've come across in a while) etc, if she did not like the idea that Drizzt was a drow, rather than that he didn't behave like a real ranger.
Andy chapter 1 . 3/13/2001
Essentially, your defintion of "True Ranger" would be a Ranger of the "Chaotic Neutral" alignment. That is to say, one who distances themself from the Law of civilization, and doesn't care about Good or Evil. Also, "Monster" in the case of Forgotten Realms is a creature who tends to target human beings to kill, either for food or malice. They also tend to be effective at this, as opposed to most animals in our world. Also...it's been noted that Monsters in AD&D tend to kill normal animals way beyond ecological means.
Tracey Claybon chapter 1 . 3/9/2001
Wow, I really liked this. You reminded me of why I started reading the Forgotten Realms stories so long ago... Thanks for writing this, I'll be watching for more stories...
Korisovra Ti'Kildust chapter 1 . 3/8/2001
really good. keep up the good work.
Kirith chapter 1 . 2/27/2001
This was so good. Better than good. Exellent. Very absorbing, and more real life relationships between People and animals than the somewhat fakey ones in the books.
manic-intent chapter 1 . 1/20/2001
I doubt it's done to review one's own story, but I believed I had to reply to DrizztFan's comments.

1) Ranger himself is drow. I like drow, or I would not have written at least 25 'fics on them.

2) Yes, I am implying that Drizzt isn't what a ranger should be, at least not in the D&D sense (in which I admit he is a 'perfect' ranger), but in the Real World sense, where rangers do not manipulate nature and randomly accuse different creatures of being 'monsters' and hence being 'unnatural', but actively work to save animals, even if they are considered 'harmful' to mankind.

3) No, I don't like Drizzt. I'm sorry if that offends people, but that is simply my own opinion. If you would like to contest my views on this, do email me. I'd be happy to reply. :)
DrizztFan chapter 1 . 1/20/2001
Hey! Ive got no problems with the story, but are you implying that Drizzt isnt what a ranger should be? Drizzt is a perfect ranger. None better. Or do you not like the fact that hes black? You racist pig. I think you should rewrite your summary, before you get over a hundred flame emails.