Reviews for Marred Stars
jynkang chapter 1 . 4/5/2004
"But you should not love it less because it has had a harder journey"- This sentence leapt out at me, and surprised me with its truthfulness. Good work!
Raindare chapter 1 . 4/4/2004
This is lovely!
I think it's great when people write about lesser-known or less popular characters, like Elmo and Olwe. You've given characters and motives to what were just a pair of names in The Silmarillion. I only remembered who Elmo was because of the time I tried to draw the family tree. I also don't think I've ever seen Celeborn portrayed this young before. What good sense he has!
Tinuviel-luthien chapter 1 . 4/4/2004
Wow, this is so beautiful! Great work on an almost forgotten character.
Tenshi Androgynous chapter 1 . 4/2/2004
*wipes away tears* That was beautiful!
For being so brief it's wonderfully poignant. I especially enjoyed the ironic foreshadowing of the Teleri dreaming of a life beyond suffering in Valinor, when we all know what happens. The imagery and metaphor of the sand dollar was superbly done, and Celeborn's childish wisdom was a master stroke. My favorite line: "But you should not love it less because it has had a harder journey." Even the Author's Note was moving. This is a wonderful treatment of a seldom-depicted episode! Excellent work! *showers Bejai with laurels*
Nevdoiel chapter 1 . 4/1/2004
Wonderful! I love how you portray Celeborn!
Marnie chapter 1 . 4/1/2004
Beautiful! And as far as I know the first ever story about Elmo. How nice for him that it's such a good one!
I loved the way you tied in the panic over losing a child with the loss of Elwe - it really brings home what it must have been like for his brothers when he disappeared. They say it's hardest when you can't even find a body, because there's no closure, and I think that grief came out very well in both of them.
I like the thought that one of the reasons the other two hosts were slower was that they didn't have children with them. That makes sense, given that elves chose when to have their children. And I like very much the way Olwe partly wants to get to Valinor as a memorial to Elwe - to finally accomplish what he wanted to do. I've always thought it was a bit less than admirable of him to leave, but I like this idea better :)
We don't have sand dollars in England, so I can't picture them, but it was a great extended metaphor for Valinor and Ennor, and for the Amanyar and Umanyar, and the fact that broken things can be ...differently perfect ;)
I really liked Elmo, who comes across as a quiet and thoughtful person. I liked Olwe, which I didn't expect to do, and Celeborn was wonderful. Clearly very wise, but in the manner of a child; and a bright, happy, fierce and innocent child at that.
This definately made my day at a time when I thought there was nothing interesting being written any more and perhaps I might be better off hoovering! Thank you!
Could I put it on the site, please?