Reviews for Bandages
Hymn of Ragnarok chapter 16 . 8/8/2014
I am impressed with this story for a great deal of reasons that I don't think I'll be able to communicate, but I'll try.

Your dialogue and characterization is superb. Both FFVII and FFVIII parties feel like friends and they banter like it too. Their jokes and their ribbing of each other, the way they fit together? I adored it.

Not nearly as much as I adored reading both parties getting on each others' nerves. Seriously, I loved how neither side bent over backwards to like the other or absolve them of their faults, for the most part. Cloud and Squall being pissy bastards to each other was one of the highlights of the fic. Especially Squall ultimately going, "I've known you for a little over two days and I already want you gone and never again be my problem. What do I need to give you to make you go away?"

And Cloud, Cloud was nuttier than trail mix and it was wonderful. Chatting with Zack in his head was an especially nice touch that added to Cloud's batshit crazy mental state. Nobody ever really denies that Cloud is insane either.

You positively reveled in the dysfunction and insanity and I think that's what really sold me on this story. Especially from the start when Cloud is so disenchanted with his life but never actually giving up. It's a very cynical, downtrodden kind of stubbornness or maybe even optimism, that this too is a thing that may someday be overcome, that I really like seeing in a character.

Now, Cid and Vincent...I like their characterization and I love their banter and dynamic. Especially Vincent being less broody goth and more sardonic second in command. That is still perfectly willing to shoot his leader in the face should it come to that. That scene struck a powerful chord with me. The way Cid is so friendly while being a cranky old man also amuses me dearly.

If I have one big complaint about the story...well, you've probably heard this before but I really didn't care for the yaoi. I just don't like it. I've read stories with it, when they're good enough. That I was hooked and entranced by your world to keep going despite the yaoi speaks pretty highly of you.

Unfortunately, all the subtext and blatant text always put me on edge and bracing myself for when I'm going to have to put up with more. You really weren't very heavy on it at all though. This was nice. In fact the romance mostly being second fiddle to various character interaction and dialogue was one of the things mitigating my distaste.

I want to make it clear that you wrote a good story, even if I don't like all aspects of it. It's just that having to be on the lookout for this kind of stuff definitely reduced some of my immersion and enjoyment of the fic. But you give the het pairings their due and treated all parties in this with respect, dignity, and equally good writing. It was something I had to work past. Tastefully written, very much so, but I like friendships or even heterosexual life partners. Which is why I liked Cid and Vincent so much, because they just clicked together, but imagining it going a step further makes me wince and think about other things. But the more explicit stuff didn't come very often, so it was really my anticipation of it coming that gave me more trouble than the actual content.

Once again: you did good. You did very good. What I didn't like was not even close to enough to drive me away. I read this entire story in mostly one evening and I loved it. I'm even adding this to my favorites despite the pairings because it's that good. You certainly painted a wonderful fusion of worlds, although perhaps FFVIII being so intimidated by Sephiroth, Cloud, or Chaos was kind of pushing it. FFVIII did not kick around with lightweights.

Although Sephiroth's teleporting trick honestly should have openly scared the shit out of the military organization more than it did on-screen, because that really is an absolutely terrifying logistical asset available to the enemy. If Sephiroth and Jenova had exploited this more fully the body count probably would have been a lot higher than it was in the Garden.

Speaking of the Garden: absolutely top notch showing how warped the SeeD's perspectives are and doing them justice. This is another thing I can't praise enough, the mix of teenager pissiness and professional child soldiers. Their customs, habitual social blind spots, and mannerisms were very well done. I won't list examples, the entire fic honestly speaks for itself.

And now that I've gone on more tangents than Cloud, I think I'll wrap it up here.

You did good. I liked the story for what it was, although I think the character interaction between FFVII and FFVIII cast was by far the best part of this story. I'm not sure if you'll read this since the story's been finished for five years, but you spent about that much time writing this so I figure you deserve to know what I like and what I dislike.

Wherever you've moved on to in your life, I hoped you've found yourself in a good place. Thanks for the ride.
Guest chapter 9 . 8/2/2014
So this is totally not supposed to be humour (probably) but I'm finding this to be extremely funny right now. In a good way. Cloud's slow realization of his relationship with Sephiroth (how is he going to explain that one?) and his random breaks of character... can't stop laughing...gods.
damagectrl.07 chapter 16 . 4/26/2012
I really love this story. It's amazing. The interactions.. the characterizations.. they were great. I love the Seifer/Tifa pairing and I love how you portrayed Seifer.

The plot was really good too, but I felt that the ending was rushed. It left me wanting more.

I like the letter at the end of the chapter. It was a good finish to the story.

Good job!
Mademoiselle Anime Amour chapter 8 . 4/11/2012
I'm kind of confused by that cliffhanger. Now, I'm trying to figure out what Cloud having a memory means. Unless Sephiroth is going to try getting him to kill people again. That's some real intense stuff there. I really like the development of the relationships between the characters. It's very cool to read, especially since they're in-character.

I thought the idea of Zack painting Sephiroth's car maroon was hilarious.
Mademoiselle Anime Amour chapter 5 . 4/9/2012
I like how there're all these relationships popping up between certain characters. Like how Cid and Vincent are so at ease with each other and get each other's senses of humor. I found that part amusing, when Vincent was sort of threatening Squall with Chaos.
Mademoiselle Anime Amour chapter 2 . 4/7/2012
I can't help but review again so soon. This story is just so awesome and smartly written. I like how, along with another catastrophe coming to destroy the world and the interrogations, this is a character study, too. You have Cloud's and Squall's characterizations down to a tee, and both are really hard, complex characters to write. I'm impressed. And the building suspense is excellent. I'm definitely reading all this story now.
Mademoiselle Anime Amour chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
This is a very interesting story so far. I like how well-written it is, almost professional. I'm not someone who normally reads crossovers, but this one is very intriguing so far. Besides, it kind of makes sense to me that FFVII and FFVIII should be linked together.
Resident Evil Lionhart chapter 16 . 2/16/2012
The only problem I have with this is that Seifer and Tifa and Cloud and Sephiroth's relationships were barely touched upon. Pretty good otherwise.
NougatEvolution chapter 16 . 1/15/2012
I liked this fic. Thanks for posting the final chapter. (Also, awesome that you got into writing and moved on from fanfic!)

Some things troubled me: I don't think it's ever a good idea to decide to leave your entire world and everyone you know but your crush on the spur of the moment, with no way to get back. I think it would be particularly damaging for Cloud to suddenly lose everyone-including Zack with no warning.

I'm not entirely sure the plot made much sense. Why would Squall let crazy-Cloud have free reign for so long? Why was everyone so opposed to Cloud's plan to try Holy on Sephiroth when so much weird, catastrophic stuff could go down just from having them on the same planet?

For that matter, Rinoa's leaving Squall never made much sense to me, but that's probably mainly due to "tell" overpowering "show" in some areas-and her alienation came across more than why she was there in the first place.

But I do agree with the people who found the characterization to be very good; I especially enjoyed the nuanced personalities and interactions between a wide cast (I've not played either game, so I only know them from fanfic). I would recommend this fic.
Azhwi chapter 16 . 12/9/2011
I have to congratulate you. Not on the writing (even though yes, it was good) and not on the character development (though I loved what was going on in the sidelines) but I have to say, your outside take on Cloud's mind from Irvine's POV was exquisite. It's tactile, gooey, nauseating, and by far, THE most exceptional way of describing his mind scape.

It's different. It's negative. It's alarming and visceral. And above all - it doesn't paint Cloud as the typical fluffy, harmless, pure-soul, victim that most fans do. I am a fan of the fluffy-chocobo-Cloud - but I still am in awe of that one scene. Brilliant. And brave. I cannot imagine the amount of hate mail you get from fluffy-cloud-fans.

Because his mind really is that screwed up (six ways to Sunday). It was a wonderful description.

... and you've so turned me on the path that is Squall and Zell.
bbb136 chapter 16 . 11/5/2011
This was great, I couldn't stop reading it. C: There were many things I liked and/or found impressive but what hit me the most was the cidvin. Their relationship was so realistic and goddamn honest, as much as I love the cuteness I'm glad you didn't give them fluff because it would have ruined them a bit. And Leon badass. While I did originally believe he and Cloud would get together I thought you stayed true to his character.
Poke-the-Jello chapter 16 . 9/20/2011
Alright so, how can I put this fanfic into words...? Amazing, stupendous and brilliant seems to fail to voice all the feelings I had as I finished reading this. You characters, as a mirror cast of dopple archetypes from two similar games, all came across beautifully and as distinct from each other in their thoughts and motivations as if they were all made to be in the same fandom. Honestly my favorite bits were the parts where you would cast aside two of them and just fiddle with how they would respond and each time it felt so canon I'd wished it was. I didnt see some of those pairing coming, though I had to admit your analysis on Seifer's situation actually made me feel for the little prick. And I'm not even a particular fan of ValenWind, but you wrote it so seamlessly and subtle that I finally understood the charm of that pairing. They really do have a endearing dynamic, a roughness around the edges that is more than made up with in the silent understanding they share with one another. And of Course the CloudSeph is such a painfully sweet relationship, even if we dont get much insight into the clone of a clone's personal philosophy. Or how cloud feels about being with a clone of a clone cloned from himself to clone him. Hmm. Yes I've thoroughly turned myself around.

Anywho, the ending let me with such a bittersweet smile (though dont all ff7 fanfics do?) and the note he wrote to his team...for such an emotional cripple it was effectively tear jerky. Though I do wish to know what happened with Squall. It seemed like there was hope for him and Rinoa, or maybe even Zell if he swung that way. Well, I'm sorta glad to have read this when I did, I'm sure without help from rec sites I would not have found this gem in a million years. Just know that this was truly a magnificent story, an epic fanfic if you will, and I hope you continue to write! Adieu. (See how cultured I am?) Ok sorry done.
Poke-the-Jello chapter 3 . 9/19/2011
I count myself so extremely lucky to have found this story. I thought it would be some simple romance with unexplained merging of two of my favorite games but you taken so many canon elements and built off them in such believable and well thought out ways that I could swear I was playing this myself. I especially love the way you can have so many character in one room yet amid the banter and dialogue make each of them distinct and just so real. I especially love the way you cross compare some characters from the different dimension, such as Seifer and Reno. The plot seems to be heating up and I love all the subtle emotion Cloud thinks and the not quite there presence of Zack trying to assure him; as well as this mysterious other presence which I assume to be Jenova's cells.
Kiryn chapter 16 . 8/9/2011
Aw, fuck it. Now I'm tearing up from that ending there. Damn it all, Cloud.

So, I think this story is pretty amazing. I love Cloud, with all his trauma and being mentally fucked up, bless your heart, dear. I love Zack very much, in his awesome support. And you're starting to turn me on to the Valenwind, and make me love Cid himself very much. Also, Zell is ten thousand kinds of awesome. As is Irvine. And everybody. I kind of wished we could see a bit of Sephiroth's reaction and recovery when he wakes up, but oh well.

I just loved the way you described everything, and made the gameplay contexts like the Summons/Guardian Forces translate into something that makes sense to me and has a mental effect and everything.

So, yeah. Favoriting.
TripOverFlatSurfaces chapter 16 . 8/2/2011
Wow. I...just wow. I have no idea what to say, except, well, the rest of the review maybe? Ehehehe. ; The character interaction was amazing; funny at times but not overly angsty. Just the type of story you can't stop reading until it ends.