Reviews for The Wicker King
Empress of Cornwall chapter 1 . 5/12/2012
Bravo! This is a truly beautiful & mythical interpretation- a great afterthought to one of the most wonderful and under appreciated films I've ever seen.

Thank you so very much!
anon66 chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
This was published eight years ago, and probably satisfied the question many asked when the film was done - what about the next year? Thank you for writing this~ Was very well written c:
KhamanV chapter 1 . 9/22/2009
Five years later, I hope this review brings a little smile if it's noticed.

I greatly enjoyed this. Your prose is evocative, well-formed, and intelligent. While others have noted a couple historical inaccuracies, it's minor held next to the fact that it's quite an enjoyable little bit of tale. I'm very happy it occurred to me today to check this category.
Parisidea chapter 1 . 5/25/2006
I love your use of detail: beautiful and dark. I can really visualize the setting and the ritual.
trek-grrrl chapter 1 . 5/16/2005
Well, since previous reviews reveal the fate of the King of Summerisle, I won't worry about spoilers.

Just a couple things, before I go on about how brilliant this was.

The Celts were no more native to Britain than the Romans. In fact, I don't think the Celts preceded the Romans by too long a span of time. They too were intruders to those Sceptered Isles.

Also, this was accurate as far as Robert Graves has written in "The White Goddess," about how the King will gladly sacrifice himself for his people. So that concept was spot on.

I personally love the Wicker Man and I too have seen it over and over. It was interesting reading people's comments about the move in here. Being consciously pagan since February 1987, I thought it was a wonderful movie, a must-see for all Pagan types. Of course, we don't sacrifice animals and people, but we acknowledge our ancestors did. I see Summerisle as being lost in history, and continuing their earlier paleo- and meso-Pagan ways, untouched by the intrusion of the divine Sun/Son-child of the middle eastern countries.

As for your story itself, I loved it. Short, to the point, like someone said "no fat" to it. VERY well-written! Good descriptions, I could see it all happening.
Lady Grey chapter 1 . 2/20/2005
I just saw "The Wicker Man" this weekend, and this was *exactly* what I thought might happen. Sgt Howie was not a willing sacrifice-he may have gone after Rowan willingly, but he did not know the whole truth of what he was doing-so the sacrifice would fail, and Lord Summerisle would be next.

The imagery is beautiful, I can see the white mare and Lord Summerisle looking out of the Wicker Man. Bravo!
E.R.M. Griffin chapter 1 . 2/6/2005
Finally, a Wicker Man fanfic. And a damn good one too. I can fully see this happening one day. Very well written.
Nightvision-uk chapter 1 . 1/22/2005
Hello there,

So wonderful to find Wicker Man fanfic. It's probably one of the most frightening films I ever saw (although I was 9 years old at the time).

You've recreated the dread of the original film really well.

I have no criticism to offer really, because your writing style is so professional. The only thing i would change is the the phrase at the end. "...and he has a lovely time." I don't know exactly what it is, but it just seems too brief and thoughtless compared to the rest of your writing, which is of such a high quality otherwise. :)
FluffyVampire chapter 1 . 11/29/2004
Wonderful story! I especially loved the ending, it seemed so sad but at the same time bittersweet.
BG chapter 1 . 11/23/2004
Ah, nice! No fat whatsoever; and yet the tangential reference to Caesar's and Tacitus' lies does its work. Special points for the author (and the folk of the isle) for recognizing that faith doesn't preclude instinct.
LidVelvet chapter 1 . 11/11/2004
I find it incredibly strange that someone would write a Wicker Man fanfic.

It was actually pretty good.
Solstice4 chapter 1 . 6/15/2004
This is amazing. You actually made me cry. It's a totally different take on the Wicker Man than my own, which I'll have to break down and submit now, but I'm just blown away. I could very easily see this as a scene in the movie, and believe me, I know The Wicker Man backwards and forwards. Bravo.

"A heathen, conceivably, but not, I hope, an unenlighted one."