Reviews for Remnants of Darkness
sweet little cookie chapter 20 . 1/29/2015
Love it. Cant wait to see Merriman. Update please
celticfox chapter 5 . 12/13/2008
Two things. One, wasn't Will previously described as tall? And two, why is Peter watching Will intimidate Mr. Winslow when his mother is screaming like some great tragedy has just taken place? Just bugged me.
celticfox chapter 4 . 12/13/2008
I believe the reason why people insist on writing slash and angst is that slash and angst is fun. :D However, there is some factual basis for it, since there is more evidence in the books for a Will/someone relationship than any other relationship. At the end of Greenwitch, there's a scene which seems to make it quite clear that Jane at least has a bit of a crush on him, and as for him and Bran... well... pretty much all of The Gray King could be construed that way. I think that perhaps Susan Cooper was having a bit of fun with us poor readers. I don't totally agree with you that Will is inhuman, focused only on serving his higher ideals, because in the books, he seems to have some sort of personality disorder, since he can go from happy-go-lucky normal kid to ineffable Old One in a matter of seconds. I believe the 'normal kid' isn't just a disguise- or at least, only partly- I think a lot of him really is still an everyday mortal. Also I think a lot of the basis for a Will/Bran relationship is that they're both slightly odd and out of the world- Two from the Circle, 'member? And just because a relationship might not work, well- that's why there's angst!

Anyway... wow, long rant. I did want to say that I'm a huge fan of your stories and this is really amazing and different, although you might want to cut some unnecessary adjectives (you're getting better at it, really- most of the problems were in the first chapter). Also, continue! Thank you for your extreme brilliance.
Zarz chapter 20 . 11/28/2007
Wow! This is an incredible story! I don't think I've seen as well done a one for Dark is Rising - either Will's in a relationship (and I agree with you about the unlikelihood of that), or it's from Will's POV and he's being wracked with worry and indecision the entire time - not what I would expect from an immortal Watcher who defeated the Dark. By putting this all in Peter's perspective, you've made it really believable, and a cool mix of normality and magic. I can't wait to find out what Peter and Anna are doing in the school, and what this has to do with the nuclear war in their time. A funny story - I checked the end of this last chapter before I read the story to try and determine if it was finished or not yet. Somehow reading about Peter being unable to cut himself and then the last line "He had found the Dark", I almost expected that it would turn out the dark was hiding in him! I was rather relieved once I read the rest of the story and figured out the actual meaning.

Currently I'm taking an International Relations course at college, and we spent the last month or two discussing nuclear weapons and disarmament. You've managed to put a really interesting spin on the whole idea and add Will, Anna, and Peter in wonderfully. I can't wait to see what the rest of the story will bring, so please, please update soon! I know you haven't in a while, but I really hope you go ahead and finish this story. It's great, and I'm really looking forward to how two kids and an Old One manage to "unpersuade" the world from nuclear war!
CPAnthoni chapter 20 . 11/21/2007
This really was the most fantastic story, you know. Should I just consider it abandoned (such a tradegy) or is there hope of it ever being finished?
Admirer of RMcK chapter 19 . 12/13/2005
The Blue Sword? Great story, by the way, I love the Dark is Rising series but I find the last part completely depressing because Will is my favorite character and I feel that he and the others have been, I gues one phrase to use would be totally gyped. Anyways, I'm glad to see someone has a decent fanfic out there.
Rivana chapter 20 . 12/12/2005
Brilliant fic this one I'm eagerly awaiting more.:-)

That's all really. Brilliant.
GoldenRat chapter 20 . 7/13/2005
Scary, Peter's already found a Dark representative. Who's obviously molding young minds already.
I-LOVE-VEGETA chapter 19 . 7/12/2005
hi there!

i was SO relieved to get your review to my story A Meeting With Aliens! i hate it when i let my bitchiness carry me away. and don't feel bad for ur review, u were perfectly within ur rights.

and i have been considering writing a Jane/Bran story, but have yet to come up with a good idea. but expect it sometime in the distant future!

my email is: and my IM is: Didogoalie if u ever wanna chat!

Your Friend,

I_LOVE_VEGETA (Diana)
sarcastic rabbit chapter 6 . 7/6/2005
I used to wonder what happened to the Dark is Rising crew when they grew up, after I'd read this series years ago. Will, of course, got to remember what happened. I think your Will here is very plausible- the scholar/historian/bachelor uncle, with his cheery politeness that he uses like a wall with most people. No one except Jane and Bran, and possibly a few Stantons are allowed to really know him. He's become a sort of less grim and (outwardly at least) more approachable Merriman.

I like your Jane very much. She's wonderful. In the books she was a bit drippy, so I'm happy you made her grow up so well.

Bran's a bit trickier. I could never see into his future plausibly, mostly because he seemed so otherworldly, and such a fierce loner. The irony was that he chose to stay in a world he didn't feel himself to be a part of, and his challenge would be to make himself "normal," I suppose. But he was such a great character BECAUSE he was so different, and proud of it, that I felt that for him to lose any of his prickliness and pride would be to make him less special.

Your Bran is different than how I would have imagined him growing up, but he is certainly plausible. I suppose the problem for me is that I imagined him growing up to do great things, and real life doesn't allow that kind of thing. It sort of cuts superheros down to regular size. Look at Will and Merriman: hiding as scholarly eccentrics so as to fit in. So while I never would have pictured Bran as a quiet, shy, prickly jeweller, I can see how it works.

I also want to thank you for giving me such lovely reviews. I don't have any other way to let you know how appreciated they were, so I'm thanking you here. It really meant a lot to me to hear that you liked my fics, and to get some thoughtful, intelligent reviews.

If you are looking for good Tortall fics, or good writing in general, you should really read the Volney stories written by the author I beta for. Her stuff is very, very good, the best in the Tamora Pierce fandom by far, I think. She goes by the name Gavin_Gunhold, and her Volney stories are all in my Favourites. They are: Unmarried Couple, and The Talented Volney Rain, Parts I and II (I and IV coming soon). And the fic that started it all (also a favourite) is Lyre_D'enfers's Portrait: Volney Rain.

Imogen
GoldenRat chapter 19 . 6/23/2005
Skipping on the first day, tsk. So I wonder what it is they are supposed to do.
GoldenRat chapter 18 . 5/24/2005
So they've gone back in time. I wonder what they're supposed to do then?
sasori chapter 18 . 5/22/2005
It breaks my heart there aren't more of us.

And-I have finally caught up on chapters! Yes!

Wow, incredible story and descriptions. I especially loved Jane and Bran's flashback scene (my new favorite phrase: "fey madness" whee!), and the part where Peter was looking around the church gave me chills. This is such an intriguing plot, and the way you work in all these OC characters too!

I have one minor little correction about word choice in the chapter with the Christmas concert. You used "staccato" to describe a song sung by the seniors. I think you meant "accapella". Staccato is equivalent to a musical machine gun D. Accapella is a song sung without instrumental accompaniment. Musical geekiness asserted, I really really really love this story and am looking forward to future chapters!
MollyTheWanderer chapter 18 . 5/22/2005
Hey! I'll have you know I too am a Jane/Bran shipper. So glad to have you back, I knew right away that Will would be the teacher. I love this fic. Its dark and light at the same time, all it needs is Merry running around being...enigmatic as usual. Cant wait for the next chapter _.
GoldenRat chapter 17 . 4/9/2005
Wow! This fic is as good as the original series. I can't wait to read more and find out how things work out.
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »