Reviews for Remnants of Darkness
lamarquise chapter 7 . 6/10/2004
Oh brother...

I do apologize if that offended you. (I tend to space on details, so long as they don't get too graphic, and that didn't keep me from being interested in the more basic premise of the book.) Frankly, I'm more offended as a feminist by women characters who fall into bed with whomever. But...

If you didn't finish, the premise is that a nuclear bomb goes off in Denver at the Super Bowl. Jack is a high-up at the time, but another of the President's advisors has turned the President against Jack. It takes quite a bit of quick thinking, and quick analysis, to determine that the nuclear material involved came from a bomb that was lost a very long time ago in the Middle East. The real problem is a political animal President who freaks under the pressure and won't believe the Russians aren't behind it. And a Russian President who's being pressured to play it tough until Jack somehow convinces him to stand down first. The original blast isn't nearly as dangerous as the ensuing instability and uncertainty, particularly when nobody knows what's going on yet.
lianne chapter 7 . 6/7/2004
You've got me so hooked! Each chapter was an unexpected cliffhanger and you've skillfully cloaked Will's motives enought to make me obsess over the next chapter.

I also adore the Bran/Jane pairing. Like you, the Will/Jane doesn't make sense and I always thought that Bran had a crush on Jane on Silver on the Tree starting after when she blew up and accused him of being 'special'.
Lamarquise chapter 6 . 6/3/2004
Good work, by the way. I've seen very little fanfiction based on this series beyond the level of a fifth grader and this is (thankfully) a strong exception.

A note about nuclear theory...

MAD is not a realistic threat in this day or age. We're worried about a few rogue nations, but the real threat is nuclear material or weapons falling into the hands of rogue individuals or organizations. Leaders of nations-even dictators-have some kind of accountability to the world and people around them. They have to have some kind of talent or intelligence to get where they are. They're not stupid and they have large egos. Above all, they look out for themselves. They're not going to jeopardize everything by launching a nuclear attack, not even the crazy ones. The really scary scenario involves a small number of fanatical individuals who have no concern for life at all...theirs, or that of others.

Not that it takes a world leader to make a very bad scenario. Any nuclear explosion could lead to a very, very bad situation. (Think Tom Clancy's Sum of All Fears.) Not that you need a nuclear explosion to cause major trouble either. Thanks!
norah-hunt chapter 6 . 5/31/2004
omg. you are a powerful writer. this chapter was truly touching. and the scary thing is. it could happen. what with all what's happening now in iraq etc. this is truly a possibilty but its so scary no one really wants to think about it. it's like a nightmare. and ppl want to believe that this nightmare can't come true. it terrifying to see a humane world turn upside down into a swirling pit of chaos as bombs go off and people die and suffer. i can't imagine a world like. we live in shletered countries with health care, welffare. even just having a democratic, fairly [:P] honest government. have you ever read Animal Farm by George Orwell. i just got this horrible helpless feeling at the injustice of Napoleon's complete control and the unfairness of poor boxer and clover. [sorry if you haven't read the book.]

this is a very serious chapter, but still indeed excellent. i sympathize with Will. poor annie as well. and she's so young. we're at least old enough to understand most of the situation and why it goes on, as silly as those reasons are. It makes me so angry to think that there are really people in this world that are so evil and so vile that they enjoy killing that they do not care of the consequences of their orders. the thirst for power reaches beyond all reason. while the power of kindness may only go so far. i think perhaps that it is so easy for greed to corrupt is because it is much easier to be mean to insult to become so detached that you are a mindless killer, than it is to stop. to help someone. to care. o well enough of this mindless chattering. what i want to say is that you have written and excellent powerful chapter and i can't wait for more.

o. :P btw. you might wawnna check my updated fic, if you haven't already. meh. if you want. i won't update for a while though. because...I"M GOING TO ITALY TOMOROW!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D the little Canadian girl goes international. :d

Eldrice chapter 6 . 5/31/2004
Ok, so I swear the first bit of Chapter 5 didn't look that bad before. Sorry about my computer stupidity :(. You'd think if I was good at anything it would be word-processing . . .
norah-hunt chapter 5 . 5/20/2004
hey! lovely! i really liked this chapter. it makes me SO angry when we have ppl like Mr. Whats its. (stan's dad) they have this dillusional belief that their child can do no wrong. oh. cliff hanger! i cna't wait for an update! this is SO cool! ye see normally i don't like the stories w/ the characters kiddies becoming heros, but i love this one! (sorry about the short forms, i'm gettin' lazy at typin) pleasepleaseplase update! what hapened to Jane? o. i wanna know!
o and i'm sorry for not updating my fic, its just, like your comp, mine died too. so i got a new one,. but all my files are saved onto the old comp, including the half finished chapter. So once i get my bro, :P i have no skill with computers, to show me how to move the files back onto this, i will finish typing up the chapter and post it asap.
anyways, cheers, i gotta get back to doing my sci lab! blah
A-man chapter 5 . 5/20/2004
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! Update as soon as possible...I know It will be difficult though considering the circumstances...if u really want a computer tryand get lucky on ebay...sometimes u can get a really gooc computer for like 30 bucks...bc people forget to bid...lol the chances are low, but that happend to my brother before with a gamecube and 5 games...anyway LOVED the chapter!
A-man chapter 4 . 5/15/2004
I LOVE IT! I usualy like Will and Jane together...but you made this story great!UPDATE!
norah-hunt chapter 4 . 4/29/2004
LMAO! omg! threesome! hahahahaha! thats ridiculous (in a good way)! wow. that was something unexpected from Jane! ahahahahaha...*people start to stare at this weird randomly giggling girl*... ahem. yah, well right. moving on. I liked this chapter, and I want to know, Jane and Bran don't remember anything from SOTT? thats what i assume, but the certainly they do know there's something 'odd' about Will. anyways/ i really like this fic and am interested in seeing where it will go!
thanks very much for reading my fic. lol. sorry about the short chapters but they seem to be slowly getting longer. :p. so in that case you are in luck, because most people don't like short chapters, myself included. anyways. lovely that you've read it. thanks! i'll try to update soon, but i need a little time to figure out how i want to write what is gonna happen next, meh.
i will look into the Damar books by Robin McKinley. if they're anything like Harry Potter and the Alanna books, then i'm sure i'll like them.
I have a small recommendation for you. i think you should read the Glasswright's books. i can't remember the author right now, but as soon as i do, i'll post a review, or let you know through the next time i update. kk?
anyways, UPDATE UPDATE!
lembas7 chapter 4 . 4/28/2004
oh! very perfectly apt description. Will has, indeed, become more Merriman-like: I think we all assume that; even so, I always thought that he was more lighthearted, and passionate about life - that the years that made Merriman so detached were absent from the Youngest of the Old - so I guess I can't 100% agree with your perspective; only 98% or so. *grins*
anywho, loving the story, so keep it up!
AutumnHeart chapter 3 . 4/15/2004
Seriously intriguing, so far. I love your premise and characterisation - both ring very true according to my perception of the books. I really look forward to the next chapter!
- AutumnHeart
norah-hunt chapter 3 . 4/14/2004
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG! spectacular! i'm speechless, except for the fact that i love your story. it is amazing. i love the way you write! if i were half as good an author as you, i would die of happiness! UPDATE!
please! you have a real gem of a story here. don't give up. finish it. or else i might cry. :P.
btw, have you read tamora pierce books? winkwink.
lembas7 chapter 3 . 4/12/2004
WOW! this story rocks! It's incredible, and I can't wait for more! Obviously Bran & Jane don't remember anything - will they ever? That would be cool - and I can see the hints you're dropping that the Dark (or something like it, at any rate) is rising once more. Ohh, I can't wait for more!
Please update soon!
L'Ananda chapter 3 . 4/11/2004
Excellent work! I hope you continue this fanfiction, its great to see Will and Bran still friends and not "together" as it often is on the net. Keep at it, because if you keep writing, I'll keep reading!
59 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4