Reviews for Dispelling the Cold
Bonnygirl10 chapter 1 . 7/23/2014
Aww! This is so cute- the fluff and angst was well written, and I loved the ending! Who knew Thranduil had a soft side?
Aureleis chapter 1 . 7/29/2011
I just spent the past six hours re-reading 'A Little Nudge Out of the Door' and 'The Pearl', and then I found this again, and I can tell you that I spent an entirely awesome day reading.

Don't you dare stop writing, because you have too much of a gift to let it slide.

Audrey :D
gginsc chapter 1 . 5/26/2011
Good story. Well written.
ceDes chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
I love stories about the King of Greenwood the Great.. this story is super good.. cute.. and awesome...

keep up the good work!
SoConfusified chapter 1 . 6/18/2007
aww. so cute. Loved it.
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 2/5/2006
Excellent! I love your take on Thranduil. Despite his shortcomings, he is still a father. So many miss that. Keep up the good work.
Aisu Dragoness chapter 1 . 5/26/2005
yay! another goodie! me like!
Thundera Tiger chapter 1 . 10/21/2004
Gyah! Jocelyn, did I never review this? Oh my friend, I am so very sorry! I'm finding I've missed a lot of stories that I could have sworn I reviewed but it turns out I never did. My most sincere apologies! Forgive me? Please? I'll try to make it up to you with this review!

Okay, first of all, as someone who has done the hypothermia bit, your descriptions were chilling. (Pardon the pun. I couldn't help it.) Literally and figuratively. I could remember the pain and what it was like. And before delirium sets in, it hurts A LOT! After delirium...well, nothing really matters after that, but right before it hits, the pain is nearly unbearable. And you brought all that back through your descriptions. I'm not sure if I should thank you for that or not, actually, but whatever my feelings are, it still remains that the narrative and the setting were VERY good.

Also, thank you for allowing the Mirkwood elves to be reasonable. They want to go after those they love, but they know they can't do it until the storm dies down at least a little bit. I know of several other authors who would have had them all plunging into the storm and making things worse, and while I can sympathize with those sentiments, I think the elves have a bit more sense than that. Even Thranduil's moment of fear in which Berensul has to talk him back was believable, especially knowing the history that you've given Thranduil and his family. Speaking of family, it was great to see Legolas's brothers and sisters again. I've missed them, and I enjoy their growing characters, particularly Berensul. He's always been one of my favorites.

And then of course there's Legolas and his gang. And let me say that I absolutely loved seeing Tathar again. I certainly would not mind it if you put him and Legolas in a few more fics together. But back to Legolas, I like his persistence and I like his determination. He keeps them going and he doesn't let up until someone else can take over. Now that's fortitude.

And then there's Thranduil. I can rest easy whenever he's in your hands because I know you'll take good care of him. He's not perfect, but he's still the elf who earned the titled "Mirkwood's Greatest King." And though they might not always get along, he loves his family, and it's obvious from the way they interact here. They're a royal family, they're king and subjects, but they're also father and children. And when push comes to shove, they'll look to their own. It's a great dynamic that you bring across so effortlessly, and I thank you very much for that!

Sorry again for such a belated review and thank you once more for such a wonderful story! I truly enjoyed it.
Cosmic Castaway chapter 1 . 8/25/2004
Aw don't know how I missed that, it was adorable! Made me cold though lol and made me think of the only thing, why do I have to live in Michigan where it gets that cold? LOL Anyways great job I really liked it and love to see more work written by you! K great job!
Lindele chapter 1 . 7/29/2004
How sweet!
Ithilien chapter 1 . 5/13/2004
Oh, I loved this story! It took me a while to get to it, but once I was there, I was hooked. I remember the mention in Thundera's story to the Fell Winter, and even more so I remember, in that story, them dealing with the various members of the Fellowship and how they were nearly frozen with the flood. It was terrifying there. It is terrifying here. The quick back and forths between scenes really added tension to the story, causing your readers to feel almost as if they were pacing with Thranduil. Very edgy, my dear. And very nicely done.
The emotions in this story are dead on. That's always been one of your strengths as a writer. You are capable of leading your readers to sympathize with the characters, and that is not easy. Yet here it is again. I can feel everything Thranduil is feeling. Worry, fear, relief, the overwhelming desire to protect and hold. All dead on. And I chuckled at how feisty Legolas is, despite his debilitating situation. He fights with his siblings, even when he is barely coherent. Never doubt that the semi-conscious mind isn't still sharp. Again, very real.
Just as an aside, I had to chuckle to myself that you, the Texas girl, had your first real East Coast winter. Being in the midWest and having had to endure subzero temperatures in the winter all my life, I love catching the reactions of newbies to the clime. You had a bad winter, I agree, but let me tell you about the Fell Winter of '85. We reached one hundred below that year. Seriously, it was frightening to be in a vehicle because the ice crystals on the road could cause the car to slide off the road. Scary. And the idea of being caught outside in it …. *shudder *.
I know RL has you rather cramped these days, but do you think we can see more shorts like this in the future? I've been missing you and your style on the pages here at fanfic. One can hope. Good luck with your exams.
Victorious Light chapter 1 . 4/11/2004
O! I love this. It was such a sweet and lovely story. I especially liked the relationships you showed with Legolas and his family. I couldn't help but love the way he interacted with his brother, even though he was freezing the poor thing still managed to be angry at his brothers insults. I loved the way he couldn't speak properly but still managed to tell him to shut up! I'm off to warm up the story made me feel cold!
Coolio02 chapter 1 . 4/10/2004
Aw, that was such a good story! I'm glad Legolas and his friends made it through alright. I really enjoyed this fic. Good job_
nessie6 chapter 1 . 4/8/2004
Ah! THRANDUIL!*hugs* And old characters come back! *hugs to all of them* YAY! I loved this so much! I miss Tather *tear* I'll give him an extra hug. *Hugs Tathar* But anyhoo, LOVED THIS! You know what I would like to see one day? A story about Thranduil and Minuel. *wink* But, you need to finish all of your other stories that you're writing and post the others that you planned on posting. But I'm so glad you posted this! Update everything else asap!
Idhreniel chapter 1 . 4/8/2004
Great story! Thranduil is such a good father!