Reviews for Great is the Fall
We stand victorious chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
Hey! This was really good and tear-inducing ( Thanks for the kleenex warning!). I thoroughly enjoyed it :D Victorious
Estel Star-Kindler chapter 1 . 2/27/2009
Fantastic! Accurate, well formed and a pleasure to read - leaves a lingering sense of sadness.
Fireblade K'Chona chapter 1 . 4/17/2004
*cries*
I think that says it all.
BurningTyger chapter 1 . 4/12/2004
This is just beautiful. I would have done well to have heeded the Kleenex warning in the summary.
~
Farewell O Glorfindel beloved, thy name forever blessed
‘Neath stone and song and elanor we lay thee here to rest.
Weep ye now, O Gondolin, and many songs be wrought
For brave and mighty Glorfindel whose life ye safety bought.
~
'Neath stone and song and elanor-so vivid, so beautiful, so heart-rendingly sad. There's so much dignity and honor there...I can't even begin to exress how much I love it.
Although I also adore your Owner's Manuals, I also hope to see more of your poetry in the future!
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 4/10/2004
the disclaimer, bring Kleenex is true. the poem brought tears 2 my eyes. and yes, i was severly reminded of the form of the Rohirrim. "where is the horse and the rider?" etc. u should really try writing more serious poetry. this is great
elfinpoet chapter 1 . 4/10/2004
sheer poetry. captures Tolkien. good job!
Vana Tuivana chapter 1 . 4/9/2004
This mourning-hymn is one of the most real-feeling Silmpoems I think I've ever read. It is so heartfelt and true that it seems like something that the poets among the refugees might have sung.

I like what you've done with the meter in most places. It has Tolkien's rhythm.

Here, in my favorite verse (Glorfindel's *sniffle*), are my favorite lines:

/Farewell O Glorfindel beloved, thy name forever blessed
‘Neath stone and song and elanor we lay thee here to rest./

The meter here would work out better if you shortened the "-ed" words- belov'd, bless'd (or blest). Then you have seven iambs in each line and it's nicer. Just a thought.

This is so beautiful and so heartbreaking. Thank you.
Bow chapter 1 . 4/9/2004
You already know how I feel about this poem. I love it, and even though I've reread it 403940593.3 times, I still get all teary eyed. You nailed it with this one :)
Tinuviel-luthien chapter 1 . 4/9/2004
This is a really beautiful poem, you work both the rhyme and meter excellently! I like how you just focused on one point of the story instead of summarizing the entire fall.
I like your comments about Turgon at the end. I never really thought about it but I agree we what your saying...great ideas.
Anyway congrats on the awesome poetry!