Reviews for Cycles
Memoirs of a Lunatic chapter 1 . 7/26/2013
I think I'm suffering from PTSD due to this film. Stayed up until three in the morning, just crying my eyes out at the ending. Your drabble sums the story up excellently.

Such a beautiful movie, I will never watch it again.
dancingprincess1093 chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
This was beautiful. I agree with every word you have written. Grave of the Fireflies is truly one of the best movies ever made. By the end, the tears streaming down my cheeks were relentless. Thank you for your thoughts.

PS If every person in the world watched Grave of the Fireflies, there would never be war. It is that touching.
Dan Rush chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
I was touched by your writing. Having served in the US Navy in Japan and been blessed to walk the many Pacific battlefields in my life, I often wonder how it was allowed to get that far. Why couldn't we have stopped Hitler in 1933 or 1936 or even in 1938?

What if Admiral Yamamoto resigned his commission as he so often told his family because of his reservations about the coming attack on Pearl Harbor?

Until I saw "Grave" in the theaters and actually stood before the A-Dome in Hiroshima, my thoughts on World War II were clouded in the "Good war" train of thinking.

It wasn't a good war, it was a horrific war as all wars are and how I wish it never happened.
Darkgreenfangirl chapter 1 . 10/30/2009
I just finished watching the movie today, I was amazed by it. And also torn to tears; it was simpy the most beautiful sad movie. I argee with your feelings and throughs of the movie, I argeed with everything you said
dj chapter 1 . 10/16/2009
I agree completely. I believe that the world as "a better place" cannot exist without the lessons that one can learn from such tragedies as portrayed in The Grave of the Fireflies.

I love how this analysis was written in such beautiful prose, it was absolutely rich in emotion.
kokopelle chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
I agree with everything that you said in this piece, from the author's notes up to the end notes. While this has become a tad philosophical and Op-Ed-ish, it's still very moving in its own way. Thumbs up for that!

And on a related note:'As long as mankind exists, there will always be wars'; it is human nature to fight, and our main purpose here is struggle for survival. I know you know that quote since I read that you've also written a Gundam Wing fic, and the brutal truth in it can answer the questions 'why do we fight' and 'why do we kill'.

Kudos for this again.
CherrySweetness chapter 1 . 3/28/2009
Amazing piece of work you've written here. Devastatingly truthful. If the apocalypse doesn't come first, I'm sure the world will have no trouble tearing itself into further bite-sized bits til there's no one, nothing left. I hope to watch the Grave of the Fireflies soon, my brother mentioned this movie to me a couple weeks ago. Sounds like a good one. I'll keep in mind your words when I watch it. (And thanks for writing this!) -mit
PynkPlayar chapter 1 . 3/20/2009
This is really beautifully done. I think if you wrote a little more... I probably would have cried a little. I just loved the movie Grave of the Fireflies. Its really influential.

Keep writing!
Jamier Thente chapter 1 . 11/24/2008
Wow...I think you're right...death IS a natural part of life which many of us refuse to see. It only reminds us to cherish what we have now more.
pig4eva chapter 1 . 4/17/2008
Wow, that was really deep. (I love the movie too, but haven't had a chance to watch the anime version of it. It has got to be one of the best wartime movies ever. So sad...:( )

I thought it was written in a very matured and truthful way and you're right in saying that such things are unavoidable and inevitable a society like this.

It made me cry!

Good work

Luv Em
bambichic chapter 1 . 1/23/2008
bravo bravo bravo that was sad but wonderful!
li892 chapter 1 . 11/28/2007
Pretty drabble. But I pointed out that you made a mistake with the Disclaimer, because really Grave of the Fireflies was directed by Takahata Isao, who is also part of Studio Ghibli with Miyazaki. ( ... sorry, I just had to mention that. :x )
musicalfreak86 chapter 1 . 3/28/2007
Wow. Just...wow. I think that that goes very well with the movie. I've often thought these things myself and wondered why it must be so.

This was very well-written, and I don't think it was dry at all. .
Lila Aracter chapter 1 . 2/22/2007
Thank you for expressing the way we feel after seeing such a movie. We need to say something after seeing this film, so thank you for doing it so poetically. I just yelled some very 'vulgar' words at the screen. Thank you.
blueaorta chapter 1 . 2/9/2007
what do you mean dry? It's not dry at all. I know this was written several years ago, I just have to comment that even though I haven't seen the movie since probably around when this was written it is a wonderfully evocative piece of writing.

I adore it. Grave of the Fireflies needs more love.
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »