Reviews for For Want of a Beer
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 7/4/2019
I can’t explain why I am just discovering this gem, but it is superb and I’m glad I found it. Newkirk is perfectly in character and yes, I certainly CAN see him getting into that situation. The monologue was great and my favorite moment was that rather desperate little “Oh mum.” And that ending was hilarious: I guess he is not what you’d call a one-trial learner, is he?
katbybee chapter 1 . 7/8/2018
Okay, this just made me laugh all the way through. I love stream-of-consciousness pieces, especially when my characters tap me on the shoulder and start getting epic...or get into arguments with other characters. I never know where the story is going to end up going, and it's had some really fun results. Another fun technique I've used is role-playing by post with my writing partner. This has resulted in a lot of awesome stuff. I think what I like the most is that you nailed Newkirk's character perfectly in this. I loved his internal dialogue and especially his determination to wind up finishing that beer. This was such a fun piece. Thanks for sharing!
PBIceCream chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
Aw, Newkirk, you should've known better...;)

That was very funny, thank you!
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 1 . 6/29/2010
Ha, this fic is classic Newkirk-and it brought a smile to my face.

The stream-of-consciousness aspect of this fic worked extremely well; everything about it seems so in character for Newkirk. You can easily picture his frustration turning to fear as things get worse and worse. And his interaction with Carter is just as priceless as ever!
Prowler4 chapter 1 . 11/17/2008
I love this story! It had me laughing so hard I darn well split my sides! Looking foreward to reading more like it!
DragonJivi chapter 1 . 12/26/2005
I likey! Awesomely funny. *two thumbs up... perhaps three and a half...*
Glorious Clio chapter 1 . 12/22/2005
I loved it! I read a stream of Consciousness book, and your example was so much better. So much for American Literature.

I love Newkirk!

Midget
Scotty McSpockirk chapter 1 . 11/1/2005
Wow! That was SO hilarious! So many funny lines...heehee! "I *know* your name's not Johnny!" That was funy and so was: "Where does he think I'll go?" Man... Oh well, I have to be off, I want to get a beer.

~ILHH~
Kathy F chapter 1 . 7/14/2004
I loved the stream of thought style. You have a gifted ear for dialogue and understanding characters. My very favorite line has to be "I knoew you're name's not Johnny..."
AGroovie1 chapter 1 . 4/17/2004
Zoey - Very good! The Stream of consciousness gave it a very fun feel.
And I didn't even get to finish it! Oh, mum. HELP! :-)
Kits chapter 1 . 4/15/2004
I loved this. It was cute, short, wonderfully amusing, and so in character with Newkirk and Carter. I could hear them both talking in my head just like it was really happening-and you happened to do it with two of me favorite characters too. *Beamz* Loverly!
I'll admit it, my favorite parts are the:
"Oh, mum.
HELP! HELP!"
and...
'Don't move,' he says. Where the bloody hell does he think I'll go?
and finally,
What? I *know* your name's not Johnny-NEVER MIND, Carter!
Classic.
Kits (who is still chuckling)
marylinusca chapter 1 . 4/12/2004
That is Newkirk to an 'N' - and Carter too, to the rescue just in time. Beautiful Carter/Newkirk one shot, but then, I never doubted that it would be.
bumblebuzz chapter 1 . 4/11/2004
Fantastic story! HA HA! I loved it. I really liked the stream-of-consciousness approach, and it was perfect Newkirk. Clever idea, and what a fun way to end it. Really a delight.
Sorkin's Gal Friday chapter 1 . 4/11/2004
IT WAS PRETTY GOOD. RATHER AMUSING.
carterfan chapter 1 . 4/10/2004
Fantastic! Very well done. You're one of my favorite HH writers & I agree with the other reviewer who said that "Fateful Laughter" was wonderful! That's probably the HH story I've read over & over the most!