Reviews for In Absentia
Redone chapter 3 . 6/25/2004
Sad and beautiful, this glimpse into times long past. I loved it how you took a character that was very little more than a name in Tolkien's book, and fleshed him out beautifully.
Fangelir chapter 3 . 5/31/2004
I finished reading this after spending a night carefully going through Appendix A of LotR and "Disaster of the Gladden Fields" of UT, and I've loved how you brought these characters to life. Their personalities are so distinct, and the difference between elves and men were brought out so clearly. The ending was beautiful; even though you've never showed us a little Valandil growing up in Rivendell, the last bit really demonstrated that he's changed and grown detached from Elrond over the years.
erunyauve chapter 3 . 5/23/2004
The phrase 'May the leaves of your life tree never wither' strikes me as very apt for Valandil. As a mortal, of course, his own life will wither and come to an end, yet his leaves - the new life he has produced, will never fail. Eventually, we see them come full circle, taking up the sword of Valandil's grandfather, and I think this is part of what Elrond forsees for Valandil's line. (After all, this is why he would later foster the sons of the Chieftains.) What Elrond cannot make Valandil see is that the most essential part of his father never went to Mordor and was never lost in the Gladden Fields. Valandil himself is everything that is left of Isildur.
Bejai chapter 3 . 5/16/2004
Oh, very nice. The interaction between Elrond and Valandil was wonderful. Valandil, now becoming an older man, still clashing with the ageless elf who raised him, both still haunted by their fathers. Both fathers themselves. All sorts of wonderful parallels and multi-layered themes. Gorgeous. I enjoyed this story very much.
erunyauve chapter 2 . 5/3/2004
I always thought Valandil's story was rather tragic - to see his father go off to war when he was very small, and expecting his return finds instead that Isildur and his brothers are dead and he has become king. Under the circumstances, it seems logical that he would become obsessed with finding his father's body. It would not only be a way to connect with a father he hardly knew, but a way to recapture a lost childhood. I was particularly moved by the scene in the last chapter between Elrond and the newly kinged Valandil.
isis whit chapter 1 . 4/12/2004
It's a well written story, but I think there is a logical problem with the plot. According to UT, Isildur sent "Othar" and another with Narsil to Imladris as soon as they noticed the orcs would come upon them. They had not been in the actual battle, nor knew about what had befallen Isildur. They headed straight to the High Pass and to Rivendell. I can't see how Elrond and Valandil would know that Isildur had fallen before Othar's arrival there.