Reviews for Grasping at Straws
SithKnight-Galen chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
Very nice and complex story. I think you may have actually hit upon the true natures of the Asuka and Shinji in a way that takes away all the sugar coating, shows them as they really are, but still gives them hope for the future while still dealing with the reality of the present.
Warriorsong chapter 1 . 3/13/2003
A well-written fiction aside from it being somewhat difficult to distinguish between whom was speaking at which time. WAFF it may have been, but while the lack of background makes the mind think over events that may have led to this situation, it's absence also leads the story to be somewhat OOC, with Asuka and Shinji having no past and character development to base their present actions upon. While it reverted to the status quo at the end, it left me slightly confused and disappointed.
Ekai Ungson chapter 1 . 3/4/2003
Wow.

Sorry if I'm not that coherent at all, it's the first time I've seen an Asuka written so openly and so truly without going overboard. And the WAFF!~ I can't even begin about the WAFF (I'm sparkling too madly, sorry).

I know it's been said before, but great story.
Chibi-Yukito chapter 1 . 8/7/2002
It was OK. I mean, it didn't have very much description - it was all conversation. You didn't describe their surroundings, or each other very much. Like you could have had something like

The bruises on Shinji's arm and face were just beginning to go purple. He touched his cheek and winced, but passed it off as just another little pain. Compared to what he must have felt when his Eva's arm got ripped off while fighting the first Angel.

Or something like that. I probably screwed up the Angel and all that, but yeah.

At the begining it was good, but nearer to the end it was total conversation.

I did like the part where Asuka told Shinji where they were going, what he had to bring and etc. That made me laugh. I'm also sitting in the middle of class right now, and the teacher, well, lets say he's not too happy.
Jho chapter 1 . 3/5/2002
Nice story :)
ShinjiIkari03rd chapter 1 . 12/18/2001
Its not Lord Malachite's best but its not bad. A very entertianing read that lets you see how a relationship between Shinji and Asuka would most likely be.
Second Son chapter 1 . 11/26/2001
Insulin...need...[gasp]...

Just kidding! Not too sweet, not too sour.

Just right for some good old fahsioned WAFF.

Write on.
Ryoma chapter 1 . 6/21/2001
Very nice story, I like your rapid fire style that doesn't get bogged down with too much introspection and stuff, just quick dialog to get the point across, looking forward to reading the rest of your stuff.
Sandrock chapter 1 . 5/6/2001
this could use a sequel. I'm very serious, this was a

GREAT! story, and I would love to see how it continues.
WeltallElite chapter 1 . 2/8/2001
I haven't read the other story just yet, but I assume by this point they're already a couple. Their having a few bumps in their relationship, but that's the nature of love. No one's love is perfect. Love is all about adapting and being willing to adjust your ways to make the other happy as well as being willing to accept the other for the way they are. Judging by this exchange, I'd say that things may never be perfect, they never are for anyone. They realize this and are willing to work on it because of their love for the other. There'll be a few rocks along the way, but I think they'll make it in the end. Very good story. "Bittersweet" is the best word I can think to describe it.
Otaku Queen chapter 1 . 1/29/2001
*poke poke* Where's my perdition, hmmmmmmmmmmmm? grrr...I am not a very patient person...grrrrr...*_* But this was cool anyway!
Cook chapter 1 . 1/26/2001
not bad
Kaoru's revenge chapter 1 . 1/20/2001
Well, we most certainly want another dose of Perdition, but this Waff will do for now, I suppose.
Chronos 0 chapter 1 . 1/20/2001
Good. More.
Worldmage chapter 1 . 1/19/2001
Interesting. It's been a while since I've been here, but if this fic is representative, then I'll read more often. There were a few spelling errors (we'l instead of we'll; two instead of to), but the grammar was clean and the prose flowed well. The thing that annoyed me most was how you kept switching from "Shinji" to "Ikari" and back. ...Yup, the OOC alarm went off here. I can accept that S & A might talk like this, but it's cheap unless you show us exactly why and how they changed. As it is it's just a nice fantasy of how they could be. (A very nice fantasy.) On the other hand, there was good internal consistency, and you kept it somewhat 'real' (ie no happy ending) One final note: I wouldn't say that the assumed backstory is 'unique': it's been done before, not only in fanfics, but in Eva itself.