Reviews for By the Light of Earendil's Star
WhyMustIWrite chapter 19 . 1/4/2014
What a treat. I really enjoyed this story and thank you for sharing.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 18 . 1/4/2014
I love your characterization of Denethor. You can see the strain in his relationship with his younger son, but there is love, and he has not yet been driven to despair by the enemy. According to canon, Denethor and Faramir are very alike (despite fanon having him more like Boromir), and one can that see that clearly in your writing. I love how Denethor handles his meeting with Hirluin. He's got quite the calculating mind, and when put to good use, that's not a bad thing. That's also shown in the story he shares with Faramir.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 17 . 1/4/2014
I was moved by the love and loyalty displayed in the scene with Faramir and Hirluin. I consider it among the highlights of this story. And Boromir! I love his "rescue" of Eldahil, and how it forces Denethor to concede that "one might have done worse in [Haladan's] place.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 16 . 1/4/2014
I love how the letters to Boromir so perfectly reflected the men's voice and personality! Your humor is so well and naturally done.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 15 . 1/4/2014
Faramir on poppy was extremely entertaining! And Eldahil doesn't need to be on pain meds to make me laugh. Love his thoughts and comments about and to Haldan.
I enjoyed your characterization of Denethor, which I think is quite faithful to the book. Also, there's a fair amount of foreshadowing in his actions this day, isn't there?
WhyMustIWrite chapter 13 . 1/4/2014
I gasped audibly at the twist in this chapter. Then I laughed far too loudly at the afterlife comment. You're eliciting real emotion here!
WhyMustIWrite chapter 12 . 1/4/2014
... You really did it. (I keep waiting for the turnabout, the realization that he's still alive.) I love you and hate you for it. Also, kudos for making the death, while heroic, rather straightforward and not particularly glamorous.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 11 . 1/4/2014
Boromir was amazing here. What a look into his valor, reckless courage, and readiness to fight.

No. You did not just kill Eldahil. Did you? Surely not!

How many ways can I reiterate that this tale is gripping, and that your characterization is delightful?
WhyMustIWrite chapter 10 . 1/3/2014
Am in love with Hirluin.
But really, though, you have a great talent for creating believable, relatable, flawed, interesting, and endearing original characters. Hirluin, Eldahil, and Haldan being prime examples.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 8 . 1/3/2014
Still entranced. Also, am beginning to grow very fond of Hirluin.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 6 . 1/3/2014
Intense and engaging! Wow, but you can write battle scenes.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 5 . 1/3/2014
My favorite moment in this chapter was Boromir's reaction to seeing the orcs with his brother. Another brilliant show-dont-tell moment. Also, it was clever of you to have that scene with the Mordor orcs meeting the mountain orcs, and their hostile interaction with one another. It's easy to forget that there is diversity even among the orcs.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 4 . 1/3/2014
I adore your style of storytelling, particularly in how you conveyed Lindir's end, and Faramir's reaction. That was masterful showing-not-telling. And it was wonderful to read about Faramir's attempts to bolster the courage of his last remaining man. Also, I really appreciated your showing us Anborn's old home in Ithilien- or what was left of it. In Tolkien's stories, there's such a sense of history bound in the narrative, and you do the same. I don't feel like I'm just reading a story, but glimpsing into a world.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 3 . 1/3/2014
I don't think I could say enough good about this story. You've woven such a compelling tale, with wonderful attention to detail, and excellent characterization. I don't think I'll soon forget the horrible imagery of the scalp in the tree (and, really, you didn't go into excessively gore-y detail). Faramir's memory of his father telling him and his brother about the star of Earendil is one of my favorite moments. The interaction between Boromir and Eldahil is tremendously entertaining, and I love the growth. It's a wonderful, wonderful story so far, and I'm only three chapters in!
Jest'lyn Tal chapter 13 . 8/15/2012
Whoo hoo for surviving Eldahils :) Just had to say it. Loved the character and was truly sad when he "died". I did suspect a tiny-tiny bit but... very glad :)