Reviews for The Thing It Names
Wynjara chapter 1 . 12/11/2004
This is a very different style to most, I like it. Especially that little bit about someone wondering if Sanzo was a decoy... that should find its way into another plot somewhere.
lisabee chapter 1 . 10/24/2004
I really like this. Gojyo trying to get Hakkai to make him glass dice is perfect. I really like the take on Hakkai you present here.
permetaform chapter 1 . 10/21/2004
so I gave in and got an account, ::wry grin:: well, another one

It's mostly so I can rec stories tho. ::sticks tongue out::

-kanzeyori
kanzeyori chapter 1 . 9/21/2004
gorgeous. thank you.
authorialintent chapter 1 . 8/17/2004
After the last one, I said I'd stop leaving little reviews as I dug through your library, figuring you'd been sufficiently inundated *g*.

Sorry, but this...demanded I give it its due love. Your Hakkai is unparalleled, and I adore the phrases and turns in this fic.

Few people bother to characterize Hakkai as anything more than the smiles in the anime, despite the obvious depth beneath them. Ahh, the sand into glass thing made my day. I would like to keep your version of our beloved "melancholy philosopher" *runs off with plushie*.

Happy-flash-orphan-happy-flash-youkai. Ah, shouldn't be funny...where'd I leave my nutshell?
Renet chapter 1 . 7/15/2004
Oh, *ouch*. So lovely. Poor dear Hakkai.
Nightengale13 chapter 1 . 5/17/2004
::is tired::
::as a matter of principle, hates leaving stupid little reviews. much prefers pagelong ones. more fun for her and the author in question.::
::is TIRED::
::thus lets herself believe this long pre-review note counts as part of the overall length and thus doesn't feel TOO bad about the brevity of the compliment she's about to deliver::
Very nice. Very angsty but somehow more reflective and productive-thoughtful (not spinning-your-wheels-angsty thoughtful, which is the bad kind of thoughtful) than angsty. Nicely written, structure and POV wise.
Especially liked the bit about Sanzo not liking the gift of life-lost-for-his-sake he was given. Nice phrasing, nice understated tragedy right there.
Understating the tragedies makes them hurt more, you know.
"Her" was all you needed to refer to her...and your understanding of that was very apt and commendable.
::hopes what she's left so far is sufficient; apologizes profusely for its stupid brevity. At least it's spelled rite.::
:P yes I meant to do that.
alright, it's off to bed for me. Ja matta-and keep it up. Nice work.
~Thirteenth Nightengale
AOM chapter 1 . 5/1/2004
I really like this. Well thought out. And the ending was amusing.
Zek Majiri chapter 1 . 4/22/2004
::is over awed::
I am yet to read someone who writes Hakkai quite like this, and it really is fabulous.
Although I must admit my favorite moment was the Sanzo decoy thing it made me go ::blink chokes on breath::
I wish I could be more useful in reviews but alas, this one was beyond needing usefulness. Way beyond.
Zek
the jealous basement Hakkai monster
queasy chapter 1 . 4/20/2004
aw. Poor Hakkai. I like your Hakkai voice. Good job blending humour and angst. Dear lord, let Sanzo remain the sourpuss he is. (you're doing 58 now?)
ps - confident. and you can delete anonymice reviews if you like.
stitcher2ficcer chapter 1 . 4/20/2004
Nightfall, you sure do have an incredible talent for getting inside Hakkai's mind and feelings! One lovely, well-crafted image after another in this story, from the delineation of the F-words in the first paragraph, to Sanzo making war on the universe, to Gojyo letting pain wash over him and refresh him like a summer shower, to the pools of glass where sand used to be, through to the bruising of Hakkai's heart. And all written in second person POV-highly unusual and very well executed.
Firnheledien chapter 1 . 4/20/2004
Lovely and eloquent to the highest degree. No cliches and new, beautiul expressions. A bit too philosophical in places but the words you chose are palatable in their mystery.
Sorchafyre chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
You know how much I'd like to give a pithy, eloquent review? Very much so, but I simply stand in awe and find I can say nothing specific, only simmer with admiration. Deep, insightful, and above all poetic. You have a delightful instinct for ending paragraphs, something that (like a subtle perfume) usually goes unnoticed but when it's present creates a new level of attraction. It's amazing the way you can turn a phrase, each word of every sentence seems deliberately chosen, and just when I think I've found my favorite, I come across a new one to replace it. Thank you so much for sharing this, I will be re-reading this many times.
ice-dagger16 chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
hm...you got me thinkin' bout somethin'...
what does a friend mean to a person anyway?...
is a friend someone you can lean on?...no... that's a common reason...
is a friend someone who will be with you in times of trouble?...no... that's not it either...
or maybe a friend is someone who accepts you 100%?
no...no...not that... one thing's for sure:
a friend is someone whom you love spending time with and never backstabs you...maybe that's the meaning of friend?
i couldn't sleep...i just kept on thnkin' about it...all night... i'll be expecting some answers from you...send it through e-mail...
by the way, i really like this fic it's the first one that hadn't put me to sleep...
and to distant water:
i like it...it's well planned out...i jus like my reviews to be confusing...
incandescens chapter 1 . 4/19/2004
That is extremely neat. Wry, intelligent, dry, and aware but at the same time biased. A very nice reading of Hakkai.